Aberdeen vs St Johnstone (New Years Day)

Well done dons. Professional performance but feel you need to maybe open up a bit more when you have foot on throat for so long. Was just a game to far for saints. Not going to be too downhearted losing this one. Dust ourselves down and hopefully start another winning run from Sunday.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent result, another clean sheet and top for the first time in a very long time. What a great start to the year.

Not going to get carried away, there's a long way to go, but it's a grand feeling just now.

Where's Standfree03 ?, I'll bet he is going to every Celtic supporter he knows door and ringing the bell and waving both hands with two fingers up shouting, "Losers, we're tap O' the table and yer team is shite".

I'm getting a bit worried incase he gets to Seamus's wheelie bin. :unsure2:

Can any Aberdeen fans explain what was going on with the stewards in the away end today. That was absolutely outrageous the way saints fans were treated. Saints were allocated around 1000 seats but were getting told where to sit when there was only around 300 of us.

With regards to the stewarding, the last home game against Kilmarnock saw a rake of new stewards appear at Pittodrie for the first time, who ridiculously did the same with Killie fans and made them huddle up the back of the stand rather than take seating that may have been allocated to them further down the stand. Today, the same stewards, the same policy with away fans and the ridiculously over zealous reaction when a couple of them dared to move down the stand.

Terrible and needless treatment of away fans. The vast majority tend to huddle up the back of the stand but if a few want a different view of the game, I do not see the issue with that. Fortunately they didn't try any of that sit down and shut up pish in Section S because they'd have been very quickly telt to bolt.

It seems like a vast overreaction after the Celtic game at home. Ridiculous stuff.

As for the game itself, it was two going on about four, but for our own incompetence in front of goal and another solid Alan Mannus display at Pittodrie. Some of our play was a joy to watch, and unlike in Inverness, after we scored, I felt that we managed the game very well. Our use of possession was good and the players were very creative against a defence that tends not to leak many goals.

Ashton Taylor had a magnificent game today and throughly merited his man of the match award, keeping Michael O'Halloran quiet all game. David Goodwillie turned in a very good performance, capped with a great goal. Whilst I felt for him getting hooked, McInnes was quite correct to take him off with Motherwell on Sunday in mind. If only he could work as hard and show as much quality in every game! Collectively, every man did his job very well, leading to a commanding performance.

There has been rumours that Flood is nearly back fit, but at the moment, I can't find a place for him in the starting eleven. I wouldn't automatically play him on return, for this team has throughly earned their starting places.

While I was a bit disappointed with St Johnstone, I feel that was more down to our quality rather than anything Saints did wrong. Their counter attacking looked slow and disjointed, though we defended with discipline, closing and nullifying space well. MacLean struggled to make an impact in the game, though with it only being his second game back, very understandable.

As for the officials, ludicrously poor for both teams today. A horrendous inconsistency from Craig Thomson which led to frustration among both sets of players. The assistant on the South Stand side was even worse, continually failing to spot a number of instances of foul play close to him, while his offside decisions were questionable.

Delighted to see Cammy Smith get on the scoresheet. He's been unlucky to not be getting more game time, however with the team on such a good run of form, he's been left frustrated. Him and Shankland came on and in what little time they had, showed good flashes.

A great display, leaving us in a pleasing position at the end of New Year's Day. Braw.

Into every life some rain must fall. Saints beaten by a better team on the day this afternoon. Given the chances Aberdeen had 2-0 was fair enough and if they had scored 4 we could have had little complaint. All that said, there are a few issues. The second Dons goal looked at least 4 Yards offside ( and given the speed the hopeless lino ran up the tunnel at fulltime I suspect he knew he had fucked up) Then we had the seats fiasco, which was utter nonsense and could have easily caused serious problems in a situation where there was none. Finally, what the f**k was going on with keeping the small band of Saints fans inside the stadium for 15 minutes after the game?? It was a disgrace. IF the police deemed there was any problem with the possibilty of Dons fans causing trouble ( which is pretty hard to believe given the result etc) why did they not just keep them all in?? Another day of being treated like shite by a football club and a match commander. £24 to get in didnae help either. Nae wonder folk cannae be fucked anymore.

Bizarrely shoe horned.

Into top rows and forbidden to move forward onto empty seats.A few moved to them second half as restricted view from Dons fans to our left.Stewards acted like dicks,taking 4 of them and police to eject one fan who stood his ground and refused to move.Then kept in for 15 mins after we lost.Ridiculous!

Can any Aberdeen fans explain what was going on with the stewards in the away end today. That was absolutely outrageous the way saints fans were treated. Saints were allocated around 1000 seats but were getting told where to sit when there was only around 300 of us.

The stewards are p***ks. They always have been and always will be. They go heavy handed with smaller supports and do f**k all with Celtic.

Same old story.

Don't want to dwell on it too much as it didn't effect the result and we've maybe had some decisions of our own in recent weeks but although the highlights are inconclusive, it's hard to believe Rooney was in an onside position when the pass was made for the second goal. Certainly at the time, I was surprised the flag didn't go up and the he's so far clear of the defence when he comes into shot a second after the pass is made from 30 yards away. That's a dreadful mistake for a linesman to make but he was funny all day with his decisions.

I'll go against the grain of many others and say that if Aberdeen can maintain that level of performance until May, they can win the league. Very obviously can't afford to lose many players to injury/suspension though. Possibly even the current three senior guys out are the limit in the long-term.

Archived