Can Aberdeen win the league without beating Celtic?

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe because I am an Aberdeen fan who had never seen us win a piece of silverware until last season. One of my first full seasons as a season ticket holder saw us be saved from relegation only by the SPL expanding. Mind us being absolutely horsed by Livi in the League Cup. Front row and centre when Nigel Pepper got sent off within a minute of gracing the pitch at Pittodrie. 5-0, 6-0, (let's not even go to 9-0) vs Celtic and being overjoyed when they only put two past us. Years upon years of utter roasters and journeymen who thoroughly disgraced the shirt and the memories that folk of my dad's generation cherish to this day. Now, after years of yo-yoing between shite squad and marginally less shite squad we have a team that could really go on to do big things. Debt free. Semi-final in our League Cup defence. Ironically I've moved overseas but can't remember actively enjoying Aberdeen so much. Will we beat Celtic to the top? Extremely unlikely. But then why does anyone go to football if they don't believe things will get better? Even after a five game losing streak why do you go to Pittodrie, Rugby Park. Tynecastle or any stadium and shout yourself hoarse for 90 minutes? It's what football's all about. To be honest it doesn't particularly matter to me if we don't make it, it's about cementing ourselves as a team again, playing attractive football and giving us that opportunity, however slight, of being able to return to the glory days I've only ever seen on video and heard from my dad and his pals.

We've had a great year and a half. Long may it continue. COYR

The winter transfer window could go one way or another. I don't expect the Dons to spend for a title push. It would be great if they did though to show their intent. Celtic on the other hand, if they lose Van Dijk that will be a big blow. Will they get anyone in? I'm not so sure.

I believe Van Dijk will be off in the summer, but considering we are still in Europe after Christmas, I would be very surprised if we were to sell him in January. I would also be very surprised if we didn't make at least three signings in January. I can see one or two fringe players leaving come January, and with the Inter Milan game coming up, Deila will want to strengthen the side.

Probably not but it's our best chance in over 20 years.

A good omen - the last time Hearts won the second tier we won the Premier Division.

We can dream :)

The problem is summed up by Dundee Utd really. Beat Celtic last week then lose to St Johnstone this week....Celtic's ability to consistently put results together will see them win the league.

I agree though.....I'd fcuking love to see someone else win the league again.

I said we'd come close but Celtic will still win it. It's a lovely thought but they will strengthen in January and we won't. They will drop more points but we will too. I'm not being negative - I'm being realistic.

Unfortunately we don't have the squad to win the league - If last year is to go by injury to our fast creative players leaves us thin in attacking options. Also fitness wise do we have the grit to grind out results live we have done recently? Lets see.

No you wouldn't.

It's with great insights like this that you have 12000+ posts.

In an ideal world, Inverness would win the league. I think I'd even celebrate.

You mean Dundee, surely?

Dundee fans

giphy.gif

I believe Van Dijk will be off in the summer, but considering we are still in Europe after Christmas, I would be very surprised if we were to sell him in January. I would also be very surprised if we didn't make at least three signings in January. I can see one or two fringe players leaving come January, and with the Inter Milan game coming up, Deila will want to strengthen the side.

The best way for Mowbray to strengthen the side would be to resign.

Would love to see it obviously but can't see us winning the league. Celtic have a bigger squad and could survive injuries to any one of their players except perhaps Brown. The Dons on the other hand would struggle if we lost one of our main players.

If we can keep it close until the end of the season I'd be delighted

Still a lot of work for Deila to do, but I am still confident he will come good.

Oh, and "Mowbray" is shocking patter.

Yeah? He's looking great so far.

Absolute comedy appointment. Symptomatic of the complete mess Celtic are.

Let's hope he stays. Months to come if shambolic domestic results and being horsewhipped by even vaguely competent European sides.

Very very pleasing

Wonder if it will effect what business Aberdeen do in January. If say Celtic maybe concentrate in only keeping their top players and don't make any big signings of note maybe Aberdeen right at the end could maybe do a couple of short term deals for a couple of big signings as they would anticipate bigger crowds as the run in gets closer. If Celtic spend a decent wack and get in some right good players for this level then maybe Aberdeen would be less inclined to take a punt. Given their finances are in a good place if Aberdeen are in similar position to what they are currently and Celtic still look as fragile they should take a punt in the transfer market assuming they ain't tied down with long term deals.

No new players unless we get rid ?

A left back potentially if Monakana goes back.

We have no debt. Lets keep it that way.

Target wont change, Europe is the aim, anything else a bonus.

Archived