Attendances for first half of the season

We're actually 129 down on average of last season if you don't include Hearts, Hibs or Rangers (809 average)

In saying that Dundee and Morton supports would bring last seasons up a bit.

Counting the same 6 teams in the league that were in it with us last year (816 average) we're down 7 people on average this season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic and rangers crowds well fown so overall less people in Scotland go to games which can't be a good thing. 8 teams in the top league get 2-3000 home fans which is embarrassing.

We are a country with a small population Al. I take it your comparing Scottish crowds with English sides which is a bit unfair really as England has a population ten times the size of ours.

Part of the reason for lower crowds is because of people leaving other places over the years to watch Celtic and Rangers..

How does our average compare with the folk upstairs?

By coincidence I just posted about this in an old thread from the summer. Championship at halfway is averaging 7,571; whereas the Premiership (using incomplete figures are they aren't yet at halfway) are on 8,459.

Celtic and rangers crowds well fown so overall less people in Scotland go to games which can't be a good thing. 8 teams in the top league get 2-3000 home fans which is embarrassing.

Tosh and twaddle... It's only because the likes of Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Dunfermline are outwith the top tier due to financial mismanagement and/or poor quality.

We've 5 clubs averaging 10,000+ which has rarely been bettered in 50yrs, and we've more clubs averaging 3,000+ than any time in 50yrs.

Why's it embarrassing? Surely better to have the crowds watching football spread more evenly, instead of concentrating at a small number of teams this perpetuating their dominance?

Since the collapse of Rangers their crowds have fallen 14,000 (this is comparing 2011-12 to this season so far) and Celtic have fallen almost 8,000.

However Aberdeen are up by over 3,000... Hearts about 2,500 and Hibs approaching 1,000 despite relegation... Dundee Utd approaching 1,000... and so on.

Few non-OF fans will be sad about OF crowds falling and many non-OF crowds rising.

Now that we are half way through the season it is worth a look at how armageddon is coming along. Average home attendances compared to last season:

Rangers-------------------------32376 -10281

Hearts--------------------------15962 +1776

Hibs-----------------------------10596 -421

Falkirk---------------------------4084 +970

Queen of the South-------------2808 +1084

Raith Rovers--------------------2748 +1089

Livingston-----------------------2630 +1473

Cowdenbeath-------------------1646 +1023

Alloa-----------------------------1448 +572

Dumbarton----------------------1095 +157

TOTAL----------------------------7538 +5743

Some analysis of QoS specific figures. Firstly not sure where the above numbers come from, whilst not very different I have our average for current season at 2,811 (exactly 25,300 fans over 9 games). I agree with last year's average (ok I have 1,723, not 1,724) but that doesn't include either the abandoned home game v Falkirk or the playoff one against the same team.

Ignoring the crowds against the "big three" our total is 10,498 over 6 games which averages at 1,750 per game, still up by 27 per game despite the loss of the big Dundee travelling support also. However, it's likely this has been partly corrupted by people who bought season tickets to make sure of tickets against the big three then attending other games anyway when they may otherwise occasionally have just missed them.

Stripping away supporters out of the numbers we averaged 1,544 home fans last season and are averaging 2,009 this season which is up more than 460 but clearly that's corrupted by the big games which see more armchair home fans / neutrals / away fans in the wrong end than last season did.

In terms of the six "common opponent games" ie those against Falkirk, Raith, Livingston, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath and Alloa only, we last season averaged 1,650 in total (1,522 home fans) in those games. This year we average 1,750 (1,654 home fans) which means the crowds are up 100 per game in those games but the home total is actually up 132 so away average is down by a corresponding 32 per game. The drop in travelling fans is probably mostly down to first half of the season games not meaning as much as second half ones with clubs battling relegation and for playoff spots, also the weather tends to be worse. The home average is up which may be partly due to our doing better in the league in the early part of the season than we did last season but is probably mostly down to the the interest in the division and as previously mentioned, rise in season ticket sales.

We also had a live tv game against Raith with a 5:30ko which was our smallest home crowd of the league season and certainly affected the numbers, otherwise we'd be a bit higher.

Celtic and rangers crowds well fown so overall less people in Scotland go to games which can't be a good thing.

8 teams in the top league get 2-3000 home fans which is embarrassing.

Absolute rubbish on all counts.

HJ has well and truly telt you why.

Ignoring the crowds against the "big three" our total is 10,498 over 6 games which averages at 1,750 per game, still up by 27 per game despite the loss of the big Dundee travelling support also. However, it's likely this has been partly corrupted by people who bought season tickets to make sure of tickets against the big three then attending other games anyway when they may otherwise occasionally have just missed them.

Do season tickets get counted whether they have attended or not?

(I know some clubs do that.)

No doubt, but I was talking about Queen of the South's attendances. Clearly I can't confirm what any other team does.

My apologies.

I only read the previous post plus yours and assumed you were talking about the whole of Scottish football.

Same as Cowden do.

Depends how other club's systems work I suppose but there would be an awful lot more work in including season ticket holders who didn't attend for us. They don't use separate entry gates so we'd need to know how many of those who did attend on a matchday were season ticket holders in order to add in those who have one but didn't attend to the total. There's no practical way we could work that out by the way we do it during the time frame of the match.

I guess if you either use barcoding and computerised entry, or simply have separate entry gates for season ticket holders then it could be done easily enough though.

Depends how other club's systems work I suppose but there would be an awful lot more work in including season ticket holders who didn't attend for us. They don't use separate entry gates so we'd need to know how many of those who did attend on a matchday were season ticket holders in order to add in those who have one but didn't attend to the total. There's no practical way we could work that out by the way we do it during the time frame of the match.

I guess if you either use barcoding and computerised entry, or simply have separate entry gates for season ticket holders then it could be done easily enough though.

Cowden Cowboy would be best to comment on how we do attendances etc but he told me he only counts up what number goes through the gate, although with us taking cash ST's will be easier to work out.

I take it that your individual tickets are the same as the ones season ticket holders have?

Personally I think an attendance figure should just be those attending the game and the number of people who have bought tickets.

Since the collapse of Rangers their crowds have fallen 14,000 (this is comparing 2011-12 to this season so far) and Celtic have fallen almost 8,000.

However Aberdeen are up by over 3,000... Hearts about 2,500 and Hibs approaching 1,000 despite relegation... Dundee Utd approaching 1,000... and so on.

Few non-OF fans will be sad about OF crowds falling and many non-OF crowds rising.

In reality, the collapse of the Old Firm's support is considerably more than what is actually reported.

In reality, the collapse of the Old Firm's support is considerably more than what is actually reported.

In terms of 'people present' - probably, yes: as you'd assume more OF fans are buying tickets (notably STs) but not actually going now, than in 2011-12.

Archived