Bobby (sconnie) Davidson

cboats

Just back from the sconnie question and answer with Archie McPherson,sconie was before my time but after tonight I realise why he is so highly regarded in the game.his passion and knowledge of the game and his belief in youth and the way the game should be played are values that the modern game would benefit from.truly a great football man ⚽️

a great turnout for a great man. his stories had me listening in awe at the work he put in at Ladeside, his passion for the club and his memories of a brilliant career at the helm is second to none. so proud to have been there last night, Sconie you truely are one of the greats of our game.

Archie found out that nobody questions Sconnie haha.Have heard a good few of his stories down the years...when Sconnie speaks you listen and learn...should get his memories in a book,the lack of historical info about Ladeside is shocking.Don't think the current management were very impressed when he told them you don't need to spent big money to create a winning junior team...reckon Sconnie thinks they don't work hard enough at it.

Quinten Muir was hilarious and a good Milton boy like meself haha

Archie found out that nobody questions Sconnie haha.Have heard a good few of his stories down the years...when Sconnie speaks you listen and learn...should get his memories in a book,the lack of historical info about Ladeside is shocking.Don't think the current management were very impressed when he told them you don't need to spent big money to create a winning junior team...reckon Sconnie thinks they don't work hard enough at it.

Quinten Muir was hilarious and a good Milton boy like meself haha

they didn't know where tae look.we need more guys like him in our game,guys with morals,standards and a vision of to build a club from the bottom up.great night

they didn't know where tae look.we need more guys like him in our game,guys with morals,standards and a vision of to build a club from the bottom up.great night

The guys an undoubted legend at ladeside and rightly so but do you feel that the games changed financially since the days of sconny?

Nowadays I feel the junior game is so much money oriented in terms of wages being paid out and other motives for players in comparison to the days of a bygone era.

correct Hertha, changed big style.

We would all go for a lower weekly wage with bonus paid on success but you wouldn't have a team on the park as the players would go somewhere else for a higher basic pay.

I chased a pub landlord for a long time In agreeing for him to please give us money for a season long advertising board.

The guy dipped into his pocket and it was so appreciated and he keeps approaching me in thinking that he's set us up for the season with the money he's given us.

I just don't have the heart to say to him that he only really paid a months wages for one player despite us really appreciating how much he gave us when the pub game is so hard. ( The guy was sent a personal letter on behalf of the club to thank him for his support)

And we are far from the best payers in the junior game which puts it into perspective. :(

Nothing to do with paying wages,it was signing on fees back then,wages were really irrelevant.There really is no transfer fees these days as well,there was back then. Sconnie was talking about going to the juvvies,doing the hard work of seeking out talent,bringing the players through and selling them on for mega profit instead of just signing ready made cement.Trust me guys like Rennie,Muir,Mauchlen etc got excellent signing on fees but guys like Sconnie could get players to come for less than they would get at other clubs...Dennis Gray did it at Beith.

Ladeside paid the biggest transfer fee in the juniors at the time when they bought Martin Craig from Largs in 79/80 but it's all about balancing the budget. While guys like Billy Muir got excellent signing on fees,Dougie Fontana,Colin Johnstone,Neil McLaughlin were ammies all their days at Ladeside...each one would be 100 notes a week these days.

Moore,Diack,Boyd...?

Nothing to do with paying wages,it was signing on fees back then,wages were really irrelevant.There really is no transfer fees these days as well,there was back then. Sconnie was talking about going to the juvvies,doing the hard work of seeking out talent,bringing the players through and selling them on for mega profit instead of just signing ready made cement.Trust me guys like Rennie,Muir,Mauchlen etc got excellent signing on fees but guys like Sconnie could get players to come for less than they would get at other clubs...Dennis Gray did it at Beith.

Loads of it is to do with charm mate without a doubt and sconny and Dennis had it in abundance. :)

Even to this date we signed wee Darren christie who joined us for far less than he could have got elsewhere due to good guys speaking up for how well that they're treated at beith and I know that Sean McKenna was the same despite being offered more money elsewhere.

Its all about trying to make your club seem attractive and giving your club the edge but it gets harder and harder when clubs are giving bigger wages than us both.

The guys an undoubted legend at ladeside and rightly so but do you feel that the games changed financially since the days of sconny?

Nowadays I feel the junior game is so much money oriented in terms of wages being paid out and other motives for players in comparison to the days of a bygone era.

yes it certainly has hearth to the detriment of our game.think the super league set up has definitely led to the decline in young players in our teams,not a dig at the league set up,just a sign of the times I quess.football at all levels has become more about money and the here and now rather than long term and building a team like how things used to be done!

Rankine took Ashfield to Super league from the bottom league and cup finals on a minuscule budget.The majority of that team are now at Medda where there no doubt is a bigger budget but those same players are not at Medda for more money,they are there cause of Rankine.

thats a good example of how it can still be done.

Archived