50 points before New Year

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if this is a record?

I'm assuming it is.

There's a team in your division whose fans are an authority on records, particularly world ones.

I'm sure they'll answer your query.

I would think so only one who I think may have challenged this would be Gretna when the won the 3rd division.

To answer my own question Gretna had 49 points by the New Year in season 2004-05 although they played their last game that year on 18th December.

If we're talking all divisions, were Rangers not close last season? The first points they dropped were in a draw on boxing day. In fact, we must have been pretty close the previous season.

Rangers had 49 points going into the New Year after dropping 2 points against Stranraer on Boxing Day.

QOS had 44 points the previous season going into the New Year after losing to Alloa and having draws with East Fife and Stenny.

Rangers had 49 points going into the New Year after dropping 2 points against Stranraer on Boxing Day.

QOS had 44 points the previous season going into the New Year after losing to Alloa and having draws with East Fife and Stenny.

Who needs HibeeJibee? :lol:

It isn't a record in all divisions. Celtic got to 60pts before New Year in 2000-01 and notably Hibs had 51pts. Following season Celtic had hit 58pts. Rangers hit 66pts and Celtic 63pts in 2002-03... this 66pts seems to be the record. Celtic had reached 52pts in 2003-04, 53pts in 2006-07, 50pts in 2008-09 and again in 2011-12, and 52pts in 2012-13.

Rangers also worthy of mention hitting 49pts in 1995-96, and again in SPFL1 last season, and Gretna in SFL3 hitting 49pts in 2004-05.

In this division Hibs in 1998-99 could have been a candidate but it was only 47pts. So it seems Hearts have a new record for this division, but not for Scottish football overall.

It isn't a record in all divisions. Celtic got to 60pts before New Year in 2000-01 and notably Hibs had 51pts. Following season Celtic had hit 58pts. Rangers hit 66pts and Celtic 63pts in 2002-03... this 66pts seems to be the record. Celtic had reached 52pts in 2003-04, 53pts in 2006-07, 50pts in 2008-09 and again in 2011-12, and 52pts in 2012-13.

Rangers also worthy of mention hitting 49pts in 1995-96, and again in SPFL1 last season, and Gretna in SFL3 hitting 49pts in 2004-05.

In this division Hibs in 1998-99 could have been a candidate but it was only 47pts. So it seems Hearts have a new record for this division, but not for Scottish football overall.

I imagine most of those teams played a fair few games more, though. The maximum total that Hearts could have been on at this stage is only four points more than what it actually is.

Worth pointing out both were from a maximum 51 pts though rather than the 54 Hearts have played for so far. Rangers 49 is actually statistically better.

Of course also worth recalling that there were only 2pts for a win until SFL reconstruction in 1994-95... In the second tier in 1966-67 (known of course as the Second Division then), Morton had 40pts from a possible 42pts come Hogmanay. They had played 21 games with an impressive 19 wins / 2 draws. Hearts have dropped 4pts (equivalent of 2pts under old system) but only played 18 games.

Worth pointing out both were from a maximum 51 pts though rather than the 54 Hearts have played for so far. Rangers 49 is actually statistically better.

I never looked into it that much SD curiosity just got to me and I just had a quick scan to see if both had reached the 50 point mark by New Year.

Archived