50 points before New Year

Who gives a shit

15 points clear is the one I want to know about. How many teams have blown a 15 point lead in Scottish football?

If Robbie does it would be sacking form.

It's unlikely but possible. Was there in '86 - lesson learned.

The play-off places are looking more competitive now - especially with Ross and St Mirren showing they have some baws after all. Could end up with both Hibs and Sevco in the Champs next year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is fairly ironic is that all the pundits etc were bemoaning the fact that the Premiership was going to be a procession while the Championship would witness 2 or 3 clubs challenging for the title.

As things stand it looks much more likely to be the other way around.

Rangers had 49 points going into the New Year after dropping 2 points against Stranraer on Boxing Day.

QOS had 44 points the previous season going into the New Year after losing to Alloa and having draws with East Fife and Stenny.

IIRC was alloa not the only team to beat Queens in the league that season?

The play-off places are looking more competitive now - especially with Ross and St Mirren showing they have some baws after all. Could end up with both Hibs and Sevco in the Champs next year.

Yes, the very real prospect of playing the Orcs in a play off final with the inevitable three man handicap the opposing team will suffer as a result (there's little point kidding ourselves the Cockwomble & co will do everything to ensure the "right result" occurs when the TV deal has a little clause in it about guaranteed Old Firm matches...) will have concentrated their minds.

Trying to get out of the Championship next year with potentially Hibs & QoS as good as the bottom end of the SPL, Falkirk and Raith Rovers also ever improving, plus Alloa making many a side dread a visit to the wasps' nest would be enough to put both sets of fans in a cold sweat as to their prospects of returning at the first time of asking. And if Rangers lose out in the play offs to one of the above (& somehow survive the summer close season thereafter), next year's Championship might be a nightmare to play in.

As long as we're 1 point or more clear after the last day.

I mean I think we'll win the league with weeks to spare but don't really give one about how many points we win or an unbeaten season. Nice bonuses if they happen.

Do you need to be at least a point clear, or would sneaking it on goal difference do?

We won the league below with 59 points in 02-03 which I believe is also a record.

Wow. Saying that though we won the 3rd with 63. We are already on 43 this season with 18 to play. Seems crazy to think we had it won with such a low tally but 59 is unreal.

Had a quick look at the Champs/Div1 leagues over the past few years. It seems to have been won with 68 points to 80ish. Maybe as few as 20ish points are needed for us? 7 more wins or so, especially if we remain unbeaten by Sevco and Hibs in the next games. Hibs taking points of Sevco and the smaller teams taking points of Hibs is ideal.

What is fairly ironic is that all the pundits etc were bemoaning the fact that the Premiership was going to be a procession while the Championship would witness 2 or 3 clubs challenging for the title.

As things stand it looks much more likely to be the other way around.

I was just saying this to a mate in the pub last night, everyone expected Celtic to storm off with the top league and it should have been a three way tussle for the league below, I just hope Aberdeen can keep it going and The Rangers, errr, can't :lol:

I'd say 10 more wins and we're champions. Can't see Hibs or QOTS putting together an 18 match winning streak. Rangers will be lucky to make the playoffs.

I'd agree with that, in fact, win 7 or 8 out of our 9 home games and I'd say it's job done, which really should be the target as we've won all 9 so far, and I see no reason why we can't do it again with our squad. I can see Hibs leaving The Rangers behind in the 2nd half of the season too, and it'll be a good tussle between Falkirk, QoS, and The Rangers for the final play off places.

I was just saying this to a mate in the pub last night, everyone expected Celtic to storm off with the top league and it should have been a three way tussle for the league below, I just hope Aberdeen can keep it going and The Rangers, errr, can't :lol:

I'd agree with that, in fact, win 7 or 8 out of our 9 home games and I'd say it's job done, which really should be the target as we've won all 9 so far, and I see no reason why we can't do it again with our squad. I can see Hibs leaving The Rangers behind in the 2nd half of the season too, and it'll be a good tussle between Falkirk, QoS, and The Rangers for the final play off places.

That looks likely though it's worth remembering that Hibs always have a good spell before bottling it later on. Can Stubbs end this losers' mentality?

For us, avoiding defeat again will be worth much more than just the point or 3 gained.

That looks likely though it's worth remembering that Hibs always have a good spell before bottling it later on. Can Stubbs end this losers' mentality?

For us, avoiding defeat again will be worth much more than just the point or 3 gained.

Absolutely agree with that, and I'm loving Robbie's approach of one game at a time, and only focusing on the next game, there will come a time though when the players start to get carried away, it's surely human nature.

Archived