British Xmas TV

Colkitto

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh look! It's Democracy Day on the BBC!

That's right, the BBC is going into overdrive across the UK tomorrow to mark the anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta by the English King John.

It's also the 750th anniversary of the first elected English parliament.

What has this to do with Scotland I hear you ask? Well, nothing really, but that doesn't stop the BBC in trying to britify it.

Oh look! It's Democracy Day on the BBC!

That's right, the BBC is going into overdrive across the UK tomorrow to mark the anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta by the English King John.

It's also the 750th anniversary of the first elected English parliament.

What has this to do with Scotland I hear you ask? Well, nothing really, but that doesn't stop the BBC in trying to britify it.

Why don't you try not watching the BBC if it bothers you that much ?

I only watch MOTD and nothing else.

Why don't you try not watching the BBC if it bothers you that much ?

I only watch MOTD and nothing else.

Unfortunately we have to pay for this shite whether we watch it or not. They should be providing a service for all of the UK not just England. We pay exactly the same amount in license fee

Unfortunately we have to pay for this shite whether we watch it or not. They should be providing a service for all of the UK not just England. We pay exactly the same amount in license fee

We also get an entire channel dedicated to Scottish programming in a language not spoken outside of Scotland.

Considering England make up the majority of the country I think very little of the BBC programming is relevant to England only. I struggle to understand how the beginning of democracy in the parliament which has now become our parliament is in no way relevant to Scotland anyway.

Are you suggesting that every time any history that occurred prior to the Act of Union shouldn't be shown in Scotland, because it didn't happen in the entirety of the country therefore isn't 'relevant' to everyone? Instead of Wolf Hall Scottish viewers could be treated to 'James I of Scotland's poetry hour'?

I don't pay for it because I detest the BBC. You should try it.

The BBC's placing of the Magna Carta and a (noble only) English Parliament on a giant, vibrating throne as the starting point of proper 'democracy' is still a nauseating revision of the historical record though. Individuals making a choice not to watch doesn't actually legitimate a state-funded broadcaster attempting such a piss-poor whitewash job; if it were an Eastern European country doing this, there'd be an outcry about mindless, state-backed nationalism.

But of course when it's a convenient, British mythology, then it's largely uncontested.

Archived