British Xmas TV

Colkitto

A night dedicated to the French monarchy would be relevant to peoplein Scotland who are interested in French history, surely? I watched Simon Schama's History of the Jews, not a single mention of Scotland in there but I thought it was interesting.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A night dedicated to the French monarchy would be relevant to peoplein Scotland who are interested in French history, surely? I watched Simon Schama's History of the Jews, not a single mention of Scotland in there but I thought it was interesting.

But Mary Queen of Scots married a Frenchman, so that would make it relevant to Scots anyway, according to Colkitto, although he appears to deny this in post *397.

Would a night devoted to the French monarchy cater for a Scottish audience?

So are you playing the same game with me then? Refuse to answer, ask a completely stupid question, then keep asking it till I get tired of you?

Edit to add. What sort of programs would in your opinion cater for Scottish audiences?

So are you playing the same game with me then? Refuse to answer, ask a completely stupid question, then keep asking it till I get tired of you?

Edit to add. What sort of programs would in your opinion cater for Scottish audiences?

No, what I'm pointing out to you is the relevancy of both the English and French monarchy to Scotland.

So I'll ask again.

Would a night devoted to the French monarchy cater for a Scottish audience?

Yes, it would, a night dedicated to the French monarchy would be relevant to those in Scotland who have an interest in French history.

What if you don't have an interest in either the French or English history? These are the histories of other countries.

Why are the viewers in Scotland given no option but to view programmes that cater for another country?

Why can't I sit down and watch programmes about the Scottish monarchy?

So whenever James V1 acquired another kingdom, everything prior to his acceding of that throne had no relevance to subsequent events/history?

When exactly is the cut off point for "relevancy"?

I've already told you, up to 1603 is the history of another country

Glad Colkitto wasn't setting my school or university's history curriculum's otherwise it would have been 6 years of fucking boredom.

But at least it would have been "relevant". And if you had become a TV producer, think of the programmes you could have made targeting a Scottish audience.

Yes, it would, a night dedicated to the French monarchy would be relevant to those in Scotland who have an interest in French history.

What if you don't have an interest in either the French or English history? These are the histories of other countries.

Why are the viewers in Scotland given no option but to view programmes that cater for another country?

There have been programs made about the Scottish monarchy. Neil Oliver did a very good one a while back. I wouldn't expect to see it on prime time National Tv though.

Not sure how you've got here from University Challenge not "catering" for Scottish audiences though. Whatever that means. Does Pointless only cater for Scottish audiences when Scots are on it?

Well if you don't have an interest in French history, don't watch an evening of programmes about the French monarchy.

Also, many people are interested in the history of other countries. I studied history for a couple of terms at University and most of what I studied was about other countries history. WHen I was a kid I was fascinated by Roman history and read books and watched films about it Just because something isn't about your country doesn't mean you can't appreciate it or enjoy it.

As you yourself answered above, programmes cater for those who are interested in them, no matter which country they are broadcast in. I'm sure there are plenty of people in England who don't care about the Tudors.

As to why you can't sit down and watch programmes about the Scottish monarchy, well you can - there have been plenty of programmes made about Scottish history in recent years. We don't want some sort of dismal cultural Barnett formula where everytime there's a programme about the Tudors BBC Scotland have to knock up one about Macbeth or something like that.

Archived