British Xmas TV

Colkitto

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britain's Tudor Treasure: A night at Hampton Court . That's on at 9pm

Then we have The Other Boleyn Girl at 10pm for a fun packed night of TV that's totally relevant to viewers in Scotland

Big hits in the printer household. ;)

Most telly is shite these days

Indeed it is, but that's primarily because there are so many channels and filling them with sh*te is pretty much the only option.

There is also more good stuff and choice than there ever was.

Well if you don't have an interest in French history, don't watch an evening of programmes about the French monarchy.

Also, many people are interested in the history of other countries. I studied history for a couple of terms at University and most of what I studied was about other countries history. WHen I was a kid I was fascinated by Roman history and read books and watched films about it Just because something isn't about your country doesn't mean you can't appreciate it or enjoy it.

As you yourself answered above, programmes cater for those who are interested in them, no matter which country they are broadcast in. I'm sure there are plenty of people in England who don't care about the Tudors.

As to why you can't sit down and watch programmes about the Scottish monarchy, well you can - there have been plenty of programmes made about Scottish history in recent years. We don't want some sort of dismal cultural Barnett formula where everytime there's a programme about the Tudors BBC Scotland have to knock up one about Macbeth or something like that.

There is nothing wrong in having an interest in things outside Scotland. And as I've said earlier in the thread, there are some good programmes made outside Scotland that I've enjoyed.

My point is having a majority of programmes that don't cater for the majority of viewers in Scotland. BBC2 programming on Saturday night makes a good example.

Programmes about the English monarchy have little or no relevance to us in Scotland. They even tried the old "british" history when it was nothing of the sort.

It was English history. What is happening is the anglification of viewers in Scotland

There is nothing wrong in having an interest in things outside Scotland. And as I've said earlier in the thread, there are some good programmes made outside Scotland that I've enjoyed.

As long as there aren't too many English people in them.

Cant wait for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo programmes this year. Plenty of Scots interest there as they fought to end Napoleons ambitions for Europe.

You can't even tell us the name of the Duke of Wellington's horse

The problem with almost every documentary concerned with Scotland is they're presented by this cnut, I'm allergic to him. No strong reasons, just him, his voice and his scarf.

neil_oliver.png

Just another brit on TV

The problem with almost every documentary concerned with Scotland is they're presented by this cnut, I'm allergic to him. No strong reasons, just him, his voice and his scarf.

neil_oliver.png

Stays just round the corner from me - I'll pass on your good wishes.

My point is having a majority of programmes that don't cater for the majority of viewers in Scotland. BBC2 programming on Saturday night makes a good example.

Programmes about the English monarchy have little or no relevance to us in Scotland. They even tried the old "british" history when it was nothing of the sort.

It was English history. What is happening is the anglification of viewers in Scotland

Again, you say that these programmes "don't cater for the majority of viewers in Scotland" - what do you mean by that? If a programme is watched by people in Scotland then it caters for them. More Scots will watch EastEnders and Coronation Street than any history programme.

Even if you assume that a programme about the English monarchy has little or no relevance to us in Scotland then that doesn't mean that it can't cater for an audience.

Your last sentence is just mind-boggling. Watching a programme about English history does not 'anglify' people in Scotland. I wasn't coverted to Judaism by watching the Simon Schama programme I mentioned earlier. There's a documentary about CS Lewis in my Tivo recordings and I assume that won't convert me to Christianity if I watch that either. I'll repeat what I wrote earlier: people aren't stupid, they don't just flop down in front of the television and believe everything they watch. One trait of some Yes voters since the referendum is to mark their fellow countrymen who disagreed with them as stupid or as having been conned. It's an ugly line of thinking and is evident here.

Again, you say that these programmes "don't cater for the majority of viewers in Scotland" - what do you mean by that? If a programme is watched by people in Scotland then it caters for them. More Scots will watch EastEnders and Coronation Street than any history programme.

Even if you assume that a programme about the English monarchy has little or no relevance to us in Scotland then that doesn't mean that it can't cater for an audience.

Your last sentence is just mind-boggling. Watching a programme about English history does not 'anglify' people in Scotland. I wasn't coverted to Judaism by watching the Simon Schama programme I mentioned earlier. There's a documentary about CS Lewis in my Tivo recordings and I assume that won't convert me to Christianity if I watch that either. I'll repeat what I wrote earlier: people aren't stupid, they don't just flop down in front of the television and believe everything they watch. One trait of some Yes voters since the referendum is to mark their fellow countrymen who disagreed with them as stupid or as having been conned. It's an ugly line of thinking and is evident here.

You keep on narrowing it down to one programme when I've repeatedly said the majority of programmes. I mentioned the TV schedule on BBC2 on Saturday evening as an example of programmes about another countries culture and history that we have no option but to watch.

It doesn't even itself out over the week in that we will have programmes made in Scotland that show Scottish culture and history

That to me is unfair. I pay the same amount in license fee but I'm not getting the same service as an English viewer.

What if we have a whole night of French or Australian programmes, is that catering for a Scottish audience? If not why not?

Archived