British Xmas TV

Colkitto

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched a documentary on Jim Davidson last night. His view was that the BBC was trying to get rid of working class presenters and comedians and replace with middle class, more PC people. I don't feel sorry for him but I do think he was hung out to dry a bit. Moreso when you consider that they covered up all the peados for decades.

I can't really connect with programs like Miranda or University Challenge but I can't get angry about them. I do think the BBC need to push ethic minorities into shows to look PC though and it annoys me that the same half dozen actors always get the part regardless of suitability.

Go on just chuck a hajib on love. Muslim box, ticked.

Although the basis of this thread is plainly ridiculous. It does serve to show that for some every problem or perceived problem can be made into an independence issue. So one guy finds some tv not to his taste and turns it into a political matter.

Although the basis of this thread is plainly ridiculous. It does serve to show that for some every problem or perceived problem can be made into an independence issue. So one guy finds some tv not to his taste and turns it into a political matter.

Aye. It's kind of like when every matter gets turned into some sort of SNP/Salmond seethefest.

Problem with this thread is that, since when did TV shows have to be actually about a particular group to be "aimed at" this group?

For example I'm sure many Scots have enjoyed Breaking Bad, Lost, Home and Away, Friends, Neighbours, The Simpsons, Father Ted, The Big Bang Theory and Frasier. None of these are UK based shows however no one is going to accuse them implicitly of being "non Scottish"

I wonder if shows such as River City are shown throughout the UK. I know Still Game was a big hit down South. Either way I don't see how shows that are set in middle class English backgrounds can't be enjoyed by people from different backgrounds.

Downton Abbey is fairly big, not only here, but over the world too. But apparently it being shown up here is an indicator to something.

The shows that come on here that Colkitto has listed are big shows, and would likely be shown anyways. I'd actually like to see Colkitto, instead of just saying something that amounts to "lol" try and tell us what we would be seeing instead.

Does he really think that stuff as big as The Proms, Miranda and Downton Abbey would disappear?

Downton Abbey is fairly big, not only here, but over the world too. But apparently it being shown up here is an indicator to something.

The shows that come on here that Colkitto has listed are big shows, and would likely be shown anyways. I'd actually like to see Colkitto, instead of just saying something that amounts to "lol" try and tell us what we would be seeing instead.

Does he really think that stuff as big as The Proms, Miranda and Downton Abbey would disappear?

Its because Colkitto is a bitter ethnic nationalist.

These types are dangerous in some situations. Not in Scotland mind you..they are just point and laugh material.

The kind of goon that cries at Flower of Scotland .

I watched Friends which catered for the USA market and Borgen which catered for the Danish audience. Both good quality shows from overseas.

I'm not saying just because a programme is not made in Scotland we can't appreciate or enjoy it.

The point I'm making is that 90% (or more) of programmes we watch in Scotland are catered for an English middle class audience. Even the news we watch concentrates on English only issues like education and NHS.

We get 2 minutes of Scottish news every 1/2 hour on BBC Breakfast News on weekdays - nothing at the weekend.

That's simply not good enough in my opinion.

The amount of people in Scotland saying the TV was such a disgrace over the Festive season that they turn it off kinda backs up my point.

So...you've dodged this so many times... What exactly about University Challenge means it doesn't cater for a Scottish audience ?

I think you should have stuck with your 'lawlz...I was trolling ' line when you snuck off this thread earlier. Limited your humiliation

Who are all of these people complaining about the TV? I see people complaining about TV all year long, no matter what it is. So I don't really know what point that makes for anything.

You do have a point on regional news though.

Also, if you're going to come up with a percentage, I'd like you to point out which shows are actually aimed at this middle class audience, and actually try and not be a narrow minded fuckwit about it this time. Shows which also don't get big viewerships here.

We get 2 minutes of Scottish news every 1/2 hour on BBC Breakfast News on weekdays - nothing at the weekend.

That's simply not good enough in my opinion.

The amount of people in Scotland saying the TV was such a disgrace over the Festive season that they turn it off kinda backs up my point.

Come to think of it BBC breakfast only shows 2 minutes of Yorkshire news here in Leeds per half hour. Quite clearly anti-Yorkshire bias as they cater towards the whole country and not just us. How dare they?

Come to think of it BBC breakfast only shows 2 minutes of Yorkshire news here in Leeds per half hour. Quite clearly anti-Yorkshire bias as they cater towards the whole country and not just us. How dare they?

Bbbbbut... Scotland isn't a region !

I genuinely think idiot ethnic nationalist types like Colkitto think Scotland should get as much coverage as the entirety of England on the country wide news programmes

So...you've dodged this so many times... What exactly about University Challenge means it doesn't cater for a Scottish audience ?

I think you should have stuck with your 'lawlz...I was trolling ' line when you snuck off this thread earlier. Limited your humiliation

Well if you believe a couple of token Scottish Uni's on the programme caters for a Scottish audience then I can't really say anything that will make a difference to your views

My dad's friend used to live in Belgium and their regional news would occasionally be someone coming on and saying "There is no news in district xyz this evening" and they'd put something else on instead.

The point I'm making is that 90% (or more) of programmes we watch in Scotland are catered for an English middle class audience.

If the programmes are watched in Scotland doesn't that show that they are, er, catering for a Scottish audience, otherwise people wouldn't watch them?

Well if you believe a couple of token Scottish Uni's on the programme caters for a Scottish audience then I can't really say anything that will make a difference to your views

UC is a quiz programme, why does it matter where the contestants are from? The questions would be the same.

My favorite University Challenge story is that in the early 1970s Manchester University's team (including current columnist and TV presenter David Aaronovtich) went on and answered every question with the name of a Marxist philosopher, in protest at Oxbridge colleges being allowed to enter individually.

Well for one, I don't believe the NHS or Education is devolved to Yorkshire.

Scotland has a parliament and much of which is reported on the "National" news is completely irrelevant to viewers in Scotland.

Giving us 4 minutes of news & weather every hour is selling us short given we pay the exact amount in license fee as those in London

Archived