P&B's Top 40 Films of the 90s

Ludo*1

I guess it depends on your idea of a great movie

For example, if Schindler's List was on the TV I probably wouldn't watch it, despite being a great film it's not something I think I would watch more than once or twice

But a film like Demolition Man, Id happily watch it again and again.

Yeah, I'd go along with that. It's good fun to watch.

Have you read HoD? Other than the racial overtones and the modernising of it, they are very much alike in regards to content.

It's not akin to saying that at all, it's an overrated bore fest of a film IMO.

Yes, I have read it. The context has changed, so many of the themes are either updated or changed and the characterisation of certain individuals is different. I'm not saying there are no similarities (there are: imperialism; civilised people descending into savagery; etc) but it's doing the film a disservice to say it's just the book but set in 1970s Vietnam. The different themes (and fundamental differences in the plot) mean that it is, at best, a loose adaption of the book.

It's not a direct adaption of the book, so any criticism of "it's not as good as the book" isn't particularly fair. My comparison of LOTR was a good one, Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream is probably a better one. Similar themes, some similar plot details but it's not an adaption of the novel.

Edit: we're not going to agree over this so I'll agree to disagree with whatever your reply is, as long you agree to disagree with this post.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'd go along with that. It's good fun to watch.

Yes, I have read it. The context has changed, so many of the themes are either updated or changed and the characterisation of certain individuals is different. I'm not saying there are no similarities (there are: imperialism; civilised people descending into savagery; etc) but it's doing the film a disservice to say it's just the book but set in 1970s Vietnam. The different themes (and fundamental differences in the plot) mean that it is, at best, a loose adaption of the book.

It's not a direct adaption of the book, so any criticism of "it's not as good as the book" isn't particularly fair. My comparison of LOTR was a good one, Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream is probably a better one. Similar themes, some similar plot details but it's not an adaption of the novel.

That's like saying Kubrick's The Shining wasn't adapted from the novel. Afterall, the themes are very much different. You could say that about most books and their film adaptations. I think it is fair considering the plot largely follows a similar narrative to the book, that being said, it appears we are arguing over the pedantry of what one would call an adaptation and what you'd not.

I thought it was terribly boring and nowhere near being the best war film ever, but then I suppose many would label the same accusation towards my favourite, The Deer Hunter.

Here's my list:

1: Goodfellas - The greatest movie of all time. Just utterly perfect.
2: Pulp Fiction - Effortlessly cool. Everything gels. Career best performances from at least half the cast.
3: Trainspotting - Dark, funny, miserable, joyful. A movie that never grows old.
4: Jurassic Park - My first "wow" moment in a cinema.
5: Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Non-stop action that still manages to have a coherent plot. Great special effects and a spot-on soundtrack/score.
6: The Matrix - Managed to create a believable world, a spot-on dystopian plot and make Keanu Reeves look cool.
7: The Usual Suspects - The final two minutes alone make this a shoo-in for my list.
8: Forrest Gump - Tom Hanks' finest two hours in a stellar career.
9: Fight Club - Occasionally brutal, but Brad Pitt and Edward Norton at their very best.
10: Wayne's World - I'd say it was a guilty pleasure, but there's nothing guilty about it. Maybe looks dated now, but I still find it hilarious.

Nine of my 10 in the P&B Top 40. Top three in the right order. Only Wayne's World missing out altogether.

So many great scenes in Goodfellas but the montage of all the Lufthansa heist bodies turning up to the piano piece from Layla is one of the most iconic movie scenes ever.

I also love the bit where Henry smashes Karen's sex pest neighbours face in about ten times with the butt of his pistol, but then again ive always been a bit of a sick puppy :P

Pulp Fiction pipped Goodfellas by a place on my list, but both worthy top two-ers.

1. Life is Beautiful

2. Magnolia

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Goodfellas

5. Open Your Eyes

6. Farewell My Concubine

7. The Matrix

8. Four Weddings and a Funeral

9. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

10. Usual Suspects

Surprised there weren't a few more stray votes for Four Weddings, and really surprised Twelve Monkeys only got 8 total. Not sure why it hasn't garnered the same kind of cult following as stuff like The Matrix and Usual Suspects tbh.

Thanks Ludo!

1. Life is Beautiful
2. True Romance
3. The Usual Suspects
4. Leon
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Good Will Hunting
7. The Truman Show
8. Toy Story
9. Office Space
10. Any Given Sunday

I purposely left out Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction because I knew for certain they would place high without me. Only two didn't make the top 40 - my bottom two. Looks like I was the only one to give a vote to Office Space, too.

If I was to vote again though - and say I wasn't to leave out the big two - I'd go with:

1. Life is Beautiful

2. True Romance

3. The Usual Suspects

4. Goodfellas

5. A Bronx Tale (hadn't seen this at the time of voting)

6. Leon

7. Reservoir Dogs

8. Good Will Hunting

9. Pulp Fiction

10. The Truman Show

My ten;

1) Lion King

2) Forrest Gump

3) American History X

4) Se7en

5) Trainspotting

6) Schindler's List

7) Good Will Hunting

8 ) What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

9) Starship Troopers

10) Bronx Tale

I had the Lion king on my list, I rate it a solid 9/10, may have been 10/10 if the music had been as good as the jungle book or aladdin. Also forgot about office space. Really funny film.

I can't remember my list now but they were all there apart from Edward scissorhands which is a just a personal favourite, la haine which is fucking superb and a disgrace is not included. Number 1 was big lebowski.

Also apocalypse now is boring pish and not as good as platoon or full metal jacket.

• 1 month later...

Archived