Cowden v Dumbarton 27/12

Im also bored sh1tless with the whinging about dud signings. There have been a few donkeys but also plenty good players brought in. Last time i checked, i didn't see a mighty queue of top players desperate to sign for the blue brazil. The least glamorous club possibly in the whole country with maybe the least fans, worst stadium and smallest budget in our league. Get real, gambles have to be taken in our circumstances. Remember Greg came from amatuer sygenta but that was a lucky gamble.

scullion and higgins jnr were free signings to boost the u20s and have more bodies around so can't be classed as bad signings. Cambell signed as back up to kenny. Can we really afford anything but cheap back up? Yes jurisic and kane gambles didn't pay off but other signings have been decent especially loans and thomson and marshall.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All cowden fans agree the appointment of Findlay as chairman was a masterstroke and he is well backed up by the superb board.

Pretty clear to me its the board and in this case mainly Findlay who has appointed Nichol. About time we trusted the board and Findlay. After all, the only thing we have done in recent years is over achieve.

at the seasons mid point we are 8th. Calling for Nichol to go is embarrassing, knee jerk reactions of fans who don't understand. Either thator our fans simply think 8th is unacceptable and don't believe in the club at all as its the club who recruited the manager.

Donald and the board have served the club superbly. Not long ago that the Spartans vultures were circling the club! JN still has the backing of the vast majority of the supporters. Of course it's natural that at times you will question his team selection, tactics etc. I think as a supporter you have a right to do that. I don't think it brings any value though to shout abuse at JN, as happened on Saturday. It would be better to have a Q&A session with JN where supporters can put their concerns to him. Whether some would be brave enough to do that face to face is another matter though!

After all, the only thing we have done in recent years is over achieve.at the seasons mid point we are 8th. Calling for Nichol to go is embarrassing, knee jerk reactions of fans who don't understand. Either thator our fans simply think 8th is unacceptable and don't believe in the club at all as its the club who recruited the manager.

Sorry Al but you're wrong here. Football is a fickle game and managers heads are called for constantly, it happens. We aren't the first and we aren't the last. To just accept awful results is fundamentally wrong too - regardless of what has been achieved. Look at Southhampton, got rid of a man who got them promoted and no one could believe it. They have never looked back since, there's no right formula but not being able to criticise unacceptable levels of performace is not what football is out.

I don't believe in turning up to watch that level of performance and commitment that was shown on Saturday. I wouldn't allow it from 15 year olds I've coached and I won't just sit back and accept it when it ruined my day on saturday.

As a fan base we are positive actually. There's rarely boo's at Central. Look at Raith, they get jeered off at half time some weeks.

Far too much emphasise is placed on our fans and their percieved negativity than actually looking to sort far more pressing matters.

So we lost 3-1 to a good Dumbarton side after going down to 10 men - the same team that beat us 5-1 and 4-2 last season. It was a disappointing result but not an awful one. We beat Queen of the South away the week before - so wasn't that a really good result? What about having a balanced view ? If anyone thinks we have a piss poor squad when we are 8th in the Championship I would suggest they are looking for standards way beyond our financial means.

Blueminer and Al make valid sensible points - and we don't really have time for folks indulging themselves in negativity - indeed as always everyone at Central Park is continuing to do all they can to help take the club on. Why not get away from the herd instinct and try and come up with something positive to help the club. Criticism is fine but not as effective as support and cash in getting results. We are in a different situation from every other club and so maybe, just maybe we should not just fall into stereotypical reactions.

Cowden played a 4-3-3 / 4 diamond 4 -2 on saturday. kept your midfield narrow against our 2 cm's, marshall drops back and your full backs push on. It gives you more men in the middle of the park and space for advancing full backs.

I thought cowden played well but perhaps miss a bit of quality upfront. That said, in the home game I thought cowden played us off the park and were unlucky to leave with a point. Not a big cowden expert but i think the squad for that game was quite different

Cowden played a 4-3-3 / 4 diamond 4 -2 on saturday. kept your midfield narrow against our 2 cm's, marshall drops back and your full backs push on. It gives you more men in the middle of the park and space for advancing full backs.

I thought cowden played well but perhaps miss a bit of quality upfront. That said, in the home game I thought cowden played us off the park and were unlucky to leave with a point. Not a big cowden expert but i think the squad for that game was quite different

You would be right...Kudos ( Utd ), Gallagher ( Rangers ), and Fraser ( Celtic ) all loanees played that day.Now away or injured along with other signed players, it was indeed a much different side that day.

So we lost 3-1 to a good Dumbarton side after going down to 10 men - the same team that beat us 5-1 and 4-2 last season. It was a disappointing result but not an awful one. We beat Queen of the South away the week before - so wasn't that a really good result? What about having a balanced view ? If anyone thinks we have a piss poor squad when we are 8th in the Championship I would suggest they are looking for standards way beyond our financial means.

Blueminer and Al make valid sensible points - and we don't really have time for folks indulging themselves in negativity - indeed as always everyone at Central Park is continuing to do all they can to help take the club on. Why not get away from the herd instinct and try and come up with something positive to help the club. Criticism is fine but not as effective as support and cash in getting results. We are in a different situation from every other club and so maybe, just maybe we should not just fall into stereotypical reactions.

You keep bringing these results up, they are historic. They are irrelevant. It was an awful performance, if you want to put your head in the sand and pretend it wasn't then fine but I'm telling you the truth. Telling you what 99% of people I spoke to said on Saturday in various pubs and in the stand. These are the guys who go every week, that make up the 200 or so core support. If you want to pretend all is rosy and fine then bash on but we had a chance to really draw crowds this season. We had a chance to increase our core support to 509/600 due to increased interest (these are the things you often speak about) and we haven't achieved this. One man is to blame and that's the man who puts that team out. Is he not to blame for negativity and, subsequently, reduced crowd numbers or is it all the fans fault?

The fact is crowd numbers will not increase - not because of what's said on here or shouted at the games. It's that old lazy line again.

I would say without the loan signings we have a piss poor squad. Look at the results before they came in and that tells you all you need to know. They rescued our season after a pre season from hell. I support my club. I have travelled many a mile to watch us for many a year - it's a whole day out.

You say fans negativity is having a negative impact on ththe club? I say otherwise.

We have fantastic fans, they help out whenever and wherever they can. There are far bigger problems than a few fans who were showing displeasure at the weekend.

I am not sure where the reduced crowd numbers bit comes from as that has never been mentioned - we have more season ticket holders and have had larger attendances for the comparable games than last season. I don't ever put my head in the sand though I put it above the parapet. I don't though just go with the herd which is the easy thing to do.

I agree, Meet the managers are a waste of time. I'd rather the manager was doing over things. What I would like is more communication from the club/management. Updates on injuries, the managers thoughts on games, his transfer intention. Obviously nothing too in depth and it's not essential but I'd rather that than a meet the manager. JN is full time so he should have plenty time for a few lines via the club website.

A win against Raith and everything will be sorted...

In my experience most Meet the Manager style events see the critics sit at home and a small attendance turns up. I think we will organise the club's AGM very soon though and with 48 shareholders there is a very diverse audience which can certainly question the Board.

Personally I find them quite informative as sometimes you are provided information on the future direction of the club etc

However having attended the last two I agree they are low in attendance unfortunately.Another reason I find these meetings quite good is it provides engagement with the fans ensuring the club maintains it's community club values.

I think it is really important for a club like Cowdenbeath to engage and communicate with their fans via different channels whether digitally or face to face like the meet the Manager etc.I think the club do reasonably well at this considering our status.However some aspects we as fans and as a club could improve upon and help shape. For example our 100 Club could be refreshed and be a committee that not only raises money for the year but meets quarterly to discuss other avenues to raise cash for the club a bit like a social club etc

In regards to the Agms are they only attended by shareholders etc as it would be a good opportunity for fans who wish to attend as observers?

Only the 48 shareholders can attend albeit both the Cowdenbeath Official Supporters Club and the Junction Bar Supporters Club can send a representative as they have shares. I think the Cowdenbeath Supporters Club did many of the things you are speaking of but many of the people ended up involved in running/helping out at the club and so some of these other activities fell by the wayside.

The Meet the Manager night last year was pretty good but it also involved the Board/Chairman and had a wider and clearer fundraising/vision aspect.

Sorry Al but you're wrong here. Football is a fickle game and managers heads are called for constantly, it happens. We aren't the first and we aren't the last. To just accept awful results is fundamentally wrong too - regardless of what has been achieved. Look at Southhampton, got rid of a man who got them promoted and no one could believe it. They have never looked back since, there's no right formula but not being able to criticise unacceptable levels of performace is not what football is out.

I don't believe in turning up to watch that level of performance and commitment that was shown on Saturday. I wouldn't allow it from 15 year olds I've coached and I won't just sit back and accept it when it ruined my day on saturday.

As a fan base we are positive actually. There's rarely boo's at Central. Look at Raith, they get jeered off at half time some weeks.

Far too much emphasise is placed on our fans and their percieved negativity than actually looking to sort far more pressing matters.

muzz mate, you cant just say i am wrong. We both have different views yes. The cowden support for 1 so tiny does alot yes so in that regard its a great wee support.

there is a percentage of our support that just don't really seem to want jimmy. Even when we humped the pars it wasnt due to jimmy they say, it was greg and kane.

the shouts 2nd half on sat were out of order and theres no way you can change my opinion of that.

We both want the same things really, although 8th is all i want this season. We are cowden. Just have a look around. This seasons championship is incredibly tough and we are never gona cruise in mid table. There have been some bad days and will be more this season. 1 more point than 9th is all that matters. We can do it.

Spot on Al in regards to Jimmy there does seem to be some Anti Jimmy people amongst our support.

I can remember travelling with supporters to the pars game and I started singing there's only one Jimmy Nichol but stopped quite suddenly due to fans not being impressed,needless to say they changed their tune after the game.

I'm surprised at how negative some Cowden fans were on Sat and are being here. I thought they were by far the better side when we met at BBS earlier this year and they have also beat QoS, something the we have spectacularly failed to do this season. They were up against an excellent all round performance on Saturday, playing on a poor surface which for some reason we handled better. They hit the bar and the post, and although we also missed a couple of sitters and hit the post, the game could easily have gone the other way if fortune had favoured Cowdenbeath. For any part time team to be surviving in the championship this season considering who are here is fabulous. And its always going to be a mix of loanees propping up part time teams performances, and one or two good loan signings can transform a side.

Chin up, lads!

You mean the one that goes about 2 feet wide and it's clear everyone stops after?

No the one that *appears* to come off the post and then van Zanten has to run across to clear ahead of an advancing Cowden player.

I'm surprised at how negative some Cowden fans were on Sat and are being here. I thought they were by far the better side when we met at BBS earlier this year and they have also beat QoS, something the we have spectacularly failed to do this season. They were up against an excellent all round performance on Saturday, playing on a poor surface which for some reason we handled better. They hit the bar and the post, and although we also missed a couple of sitters and hit the post, the game could easily have gone the other way if fortune had favoured Cowdenbeath. For any part time team to be surviving in the championship this season considering who are here is fabulous. And its always going to be a mix of loanees propping up part time teams performances, and one or two good loan signings can transform a side.

Chin up, lads!

We had three loan players in the team for the game at Dumbarton (Fraser, Oyenuga and Gallagher) and Brownlie played as well. That was the difference between losing at home and drawing (should have won) away.

Archived