Cowden v Dumbarton 27/12

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said at the time I didn't think it was a red but I can also see why the ref has given it in a way. If it went against us I'd have been pretty annoyed but agree with Muzza that it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game.

We have the beauty of replays and videos to look at after a game but a ref has to make a split second decision and incidents like that can go either way. FWIW I thought there was a clear foul on Fleming in the build up to the Cowden goal that both the ref and linesman (couldn't have been any closer) ignored.

The appeal will get thrown out, not because it's right but because the referee will be able to back up the decision. Seeing it again won't change his (or a panels) mind sadly. Would be shocked if it was.

Good on the club for trying via the appeal process.Clubs should stand up to shoddy refereeing decisions.

Referee's don't have an easy job but they are extremely complacent across the leagues in this country.

Don't see any reason the ref could call that a red card challenge.it was an awful desicion and if we don't win the appeal then there is something far wrong. As for the game, while being poor, there was not much in it until the sending off when Dumbo could have buried us thereafter. The mistakes leading up to the away sides first two goals ( not shown clearly in the highlights ) were just what we've done most of the season.

Good on the club for trying via the appeal process.Clubs should stand up to shoddy refereeing decisions.

Referee's don't have an easy job but they are extremely complacent across the leagues in this country.

Problem is a failed appeal costs £500.

Some of the Cowdenbeath fans on here would give our OK3 a run for his money in the negativity stakes. I mean what do you really expect? It was always a stick on cert that the three part time teams would be favourites for relegation. There wasn't a huge difference in the teams on Saturday yet there are calls for the managers head. You're still in a decent position and have every chance of avoiding the bottom two places. That's all you can really expect given that you are punching well above your weight

Some of the Cowdenbeath fans on here would give our OK3 a run for his money in the negativity stakes. I mean what do you really expect? It was always a stick on cert that the three part time teams would be favourites for relegation. There wasn't a huge difference in the teams on Saturday yet there are calls for the managers head. You're still in a decent position and have every chance of avoiding the bottom two places. That's all you can really expect given that you are punching well above your weight

Your right at the start of the season I would have expected the 3 part time sides along with Livi and Raith to be slogging it out in the battle to avoid the drop.

a reasoned post bud.

some of the cowden fans have lost the plot.

who do we think we are? When did we get so arrogant, expecting to beat mid table championship teams because we are at home?

We are 8th for f**k sake. We are pissing into the wind compared to all the other teams in this league and most of the division below. Reality is out the window for some.

its remarkable this is our 4th season in 5 in this league and wehave a decent chanceof staying up again. All 20 teams in 2 divisions below would love to be in our position. I always tell folk Cowdenbeath people are salt of the earth, seems i was wrong. Delusional.

Spot on mate

a reasoned post bud.

some of the cowden fans have lost the plot.

who do we think we are? When did we get so arrogant, expecting to beat mid table championship teams because we are at home?

We are 8th for f**k sake. We are pissing into the wind compared to all the other teams in this league and most of the division below. Reality is out the window for some.

its remarkable this is our 4th season in 5 in this league and wehave a decent chanceof staying up again. All 20 teams in 2 divisions below would love to be in our position. I always tell folk Cowdenbeath people are salt of the earth, seems i was wrong. Delusional.

Who said anything about expecting to beat a mid-table championship team? I don't think it's unreasonable to compete against a part-time team that were 4 or 5 points ahead of us in the table.

That didn't happen though. What happened was we got leathered again at home by a bottom 5 team. The only one of them who hasn't leathered us at home is Livi and we scraped a win against them. But for Thomson making some great saves we'd have lost that as well. Think Thomson got MotM that day.

If we can't beat bottom 5 teams at home where are we picking up the points to stay up this season? Two unexpected and not fully deserved results against Queens have us in a false position.

Questions surely have to be asked. Why the wholesale changes from tactics/formations that the manager put in place himself last season that worked so well? Why sign the players he did during the last window? Why keep asking players to play out of position when he could change formation to suit the players available? Why waste almost all our loan signings in the first half of the season that leaves us hamstrung to improve the squad in January? Why should he be given the opportunity to sign more players when he made a complete mess of it during the last window (i don't count the loan players in that but that card has been played).

7 points out of 24 against the bottom 5 tells us all we need to know about how this season is working out. Thats where the majority of our points need to come from and we're showing no sign of that happening.

If you don't think we're in trouble you're the one thats deluded.

ETA Livi's points deduction also helps with our false position. Truth be told we've been fucking awful this season apart from a few brief spells in odd games and one decent 90 minutes in Dumfries.

Negativity, eh ? Delighted to congratulate the team on a very good away win, whilst noting the return of Lee Mair (who IMO had done nothing to merit ever being dropped), the effect of a physical presence in midfield in the form of CT and the long overdue resting of Mitch Megginson.

Respect to Ian Murray for responding to my posts on here, and never confuse the desire for better with unthinking negativity ;)

1 We are not in a false position - there's no such thing. Alloa and Livingston have had worse results than us so are below us. They have picked up less points than us - the nature of the League this season means it is likely that less points will be needed to stay up than last season. Livi's points deduction has no impact on our position.

2. More glass half empty stuff. There is more than half a season to go and half our points have come from playing top 5 clubs so why would we just restrict ourselves to trying to get results v bottom 5 clubs? Why suggest we were fortunate in getting points from Queens without balancing that by saying we were unfortunate then in not getting points away at Raith and Dumbarton?

3. Most of the players from last season's play off team aren't available at present or even with the club so it isn't a surprise to see us use different formations/tactics. Some people though also seem to think 352 is just some wonder formula for success.

1 We are not in a false position - there's no such thing. Alloa and Livingston have had worse results than us so are below us. They have picked up less points than us - the nature of the League this season means it is likely that less points will be needed to stay up than last season. Livi's points deduction has no impact on our position.

2. More glass half empty stuff. There is more than half a season to go and half our points have come from playing top 5 clubs so why would we just restrict ourselves to trying to get results v bottom 5 clubs? Why suggest we were fortunate in getting points from Queens without balancing that by saying we were unfortunate then in not getting points away at Raith and Dumbarton?

3. Most of the players from last season's play off team aren't available at present or even with the club so it isn't a surprise to see us use different formations/tactics. Some people though also seem to think 352 is just some wonder formula for success.

Absolutely agree less points will be needed this season. I don't see where we're getting them if we can't beat bottom half sides.

I didn't say 3-5-2 was a magic formula. I happen to think it suits our players. 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 haven't exactly worked wonders this season. If Jimmy wants to use different tactics he needs different players.

Look at Saturday. Robbo left mid and Kane right mid. Which of those two is going to beat a man down the line? Lets assume they do that. I've never seen Kane put a cross in period. Robbo won't as he isn't left footed.

Dumbo's full-backs are slower than a week in the jail but we never set-up to exploit it. Means we're narrow going forward which limits our attacking options and makes it easier for Dumbo to defend as they have less to think about.

Marshall and Milne are too ponderous moving the ball forward and that combined with our narrow set-up means its difficult to move it forward.

Defensively we had no answer to Dumbo lumping it up to Nish. He won every long ball on the deck and in the air.

Brownlie should have been used to counter that. He also should have been used to counter Paterson against Hearts. Jimmy is asleep at the wheel if he can't see that.

Miller and Halsman can beat a man and have pace. They should have been our wide players. We have no other decent full-backs available so we had to go 3 at the back to move them into wing-back positions. That allows Robbo back into the middle so we can pass it quicly between him Milne and Marshall allowing them to bring the front two into the game.

If anyone could take a guess at what our tactics were on Saturday and how we planned to counter Dumbo's obvious tactics I'd love to hear it.

Archived