ICT vs Aberdeen - 28/12/14

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, the pen incident meant little at the end of the day.

A full day on I'm delighted with getting 3 points at a tough venue. I really canna recall many comfy days for the Dons in Inverness, going way back to the Scottish Cup scraped draw when Guntveit (I think) grabbed a late equaliser. Even at 4-0 up last year Dons nearly blew it.

Caley deserve a lot of credit for consistently being decent on a wee budget whilst being debt free. Also the fact they are now a lot easier on the eye is also a plus.

If they got European football to Inverness it would be some story.

Oddly enough for a large part of that game that was some of the worst football we have played this season. There were a lot of aimless punts forward to Mckay, Watkins and lofted chip balls to Christie from goal kicks by Brill. But a lot of that is down to how Aberdeen set up to defend against us. It looked liked they had taken a leaf out of Partick's book and pushed extra men up to out pressure on us as we tried to play the ball out from the back. From our goal kicks you could see Brill wanting to play it either wide to Tremarco or Raven, both of whom would have Dons players right next to them, or short to Meekings or Warren but again Goodwillie was in close attendance to shut down that option. More often than not we would then try and chip it in to Christie in the middle of the pithc but Ash Taylor, who is f'cking massive, strode in and won the header. I think we need to rethink our approach here as teams are getting wise to us. It will be interesting to see what County do on the 1st.

Thank f**k we got over the line in this one. As most have said, we couldn't have complained had Inverness scored, but after being mugged at Dens and at home to Celtic, this one felt like a wee bit of payback.

One the way up on the bus, a couple of us had said that'd we'd take a 1-0 in a backs to the wall, brutal shitfest of a performance, little knowing it would happen. Credit fully to Inverness who once again made the afternoon tough for us. Our midfield failed to gain a grip on the game that we have in previous weeks, and the ICT central three of Shinnie, Tansey and Christie more than matched Jack, Hayes and Pawlett. Credit where credit is due, he gets a hard time on here, but it was clear John Hughes had done his homework on who has made us tick recently.

The goal was a fortuitous break off Tremarco, but McGinn deserves credit, as does Murray for the decoy run and Pawlett for the finish. After that, it was backs to the wall stuff, a performance full of character. Scott Brown was absolutely magnificent, Taylor had another fine game and Pawlett while struggling in the attacking sense, dug in well with Jack and Hayes defensively. Unlike some, I thought Craigy Murray came in and performed solidly defensively. A bit slight, but snuffed out the ICT threat down the left well. Taylor and him worked well together, Taylor showing a real maturity to talk Murray through the game, and the fact that Taylor went to Murray first at full time was pleasing to see.

With the teams so matched tactically, it degenerated into a second half of few chances, though Hayes missed a sitter for us, and McKay for ICT. I feel Warren was lucky to escape without the concession of the penalty, particularly given a similar penalty was awarded against Meekings last season for not too dissimilar. Nonetheless, I can't be arsed arguing with ICT fans, you're a sound bunch with a healthy level of seethe towards the Glasgow Ugly Sisters.

It's full credit to Inverness how hard they've made the Caledonian Stadium to visit and pick points up at. As others have mentioned, the facilities are a bit too sparse for large travelling supports but that's understandable given the swift nature the stands were put up in. It's still a thoroughly enjoyable place to visit and the novelty factor of heading North for games hasn't worn off.

Absolutely delighted with the win and the way that we dug in to achieve it where in previous seasons, we would have conceded two points. A win of character and workrate, or as said in P&B parlance: a shitfest. Magic.

Ash Taylor again getting plaudits. A lot of dons fans feeling a bit sheepish now (forgive the pun).

I quite publicly slated him at the start of the season, rightfully so as he was honking. Whilst still prone to the odd lapse in concentration, his performances have grown hugely. Yesterday, he was a man mountain at the back for us, and to see him talking Craig Murray through the game was brilliant.

At this precise moment, I will happly hold my hands up and admit he's proving me wrong. And I'm delighted to say that, long may it continue.

Re the handball incident....I thought everybody knew the rules in Scottish football regarding this.

If a player is deemed to have a hand/arm/thigh/shoulder anywhere near the ball in his own penalty area then a penalty shall be awarded to the old firm team they're playing.

If no old firm team is involved then we don't give a flying f**k what the referee does

I quite publicly slated him at the start of the season, rightfully so as he was honking. Whilst still prone to the odd lapse in concentration, his performances have grown hugely. Yesterday, he was a man mountain at the back for us, and to see him talking Craig Murray through the game was brilliant.

At this precise moment, I will happly hold my hands up and admit he's proving me wrong. And I'm delighted to say that, long may it continue.

Im the same, thought he was the worst thing since C****n F****n Z**a, happy as floock hes proving me wrong, he's been a huge reason behind the current run of clean sheets .

Re the pen/non pen, I think it should have been given if it was against us I would have grudgingly acctepted it (after booting the seat in front of me to death), St Mirren got a pen against us earlier this season, when Reynolds flaying "jumping" arm touched a cross, it wasn't going towards goal, it wasn't even going to a St Mirren player but it was given, such is life, his hand was up, he touched it so handball in the box and a foul/pen was given. Moot point now thankfully, its good to win shit

Archived