Airdrieonians Fc vs Ayr

I've just watched those highlights. :o

I'm genuinely astonished. I've never seen three worse goals conceded in my entire life. Not even by Stainrod or Connor's shite outfits. In all three goals conceded there is barely a defender anywhere in the camera shot. What are these guys doing in training?

Who the f**k was that number 14 wandering across the park near his own box allowing the striker to nick it off him so easily for the second? Defending Rule No 1 - don't go across your own box if you're last man.

I thought maybe Ayr fans were overreacting as usual, but maybe not. Unless the new 'cheapest option' manager can work miracles it's looking like relegation.

Bar first half a dozen games, it's been this all season.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the new gaffer comes in and knocks a few heads together, there is clearly a lack of any team cohesion going on for whatever reason. Can't all have been Roberts at the route of it to be that bad.

There's a lot of toys being thrown out the pram by the Ayr kids here.

The situation they're in at the moment is reminiscent of the way we played under Jimmy Boyle - no heart, fight or organisation.

When Bollan came in, he added a couple of players who galvanised the team and we turned round our season.

It's all about whether Ayr can do the same now.

It would be a good kick up the arse for the owner if we went down to League 2, however I think we will have enough to get by in the second half of the season.

We need the new guy (or gal) to come in ASAP and instill some confidence in the players and bring in a couple of experienced campaigners to help us out in key positions. I'd like to see us bring in a goalkeeper, a centre half and a central midfielder to see us through until the end of the season. If we survive we can hopefully reload and try not to be an utter shambles in 2015/2016.

How do the other youngsters compare to the likes of Muir and Mcarthur? I think adding youth to that team would be a disaster as there is no confidence whatsoever. The only way I see the youth improving the situation is if some of them can play in specific positions where currently others are being displaced to cover gaps in our squad. Other than that it's wait for the new manager to arrive ,bring some much needed structure and either get some of the squad playing again or out of the door.

Replacing half the team with youth players is obviously nonsensical, but there are 3 or 4 who could probably make the step up now. It isn't an ideal time to bring them into the first team, but ultimately this team will be lucky to earn another point before the new manager comes in, and we have to try something different. These guys will all be 18/19 with a bit of first team experience in any case so confidence shouldn't be as much of an issue as it would be with some completely untried sixteen year olds.

Trying McArthur at centre half seems a pretty obvious move given that we're currently operating with one semi-fit centre back, and giving Muir a run at right back might not be the worst idea since Devlin looks like he's struggling (possibly with injury) at the moment. Bringing McGill back into the team could also be pretty useful as, while I don't think he's particularly great, he provides an out-ball, which we desperately need, and it would allow Forrest to be played behind the striker and bridge the enormous gap between our midfield and the striker.

Centre midfield is a big problem area for us right now, largely because all of our central midfielders just want to sit deep and leave Donnelly upfront on his own. If possible, promoting a more forward-thinking centre mid from the 20s and have McGovern sit next to them and play spoiler would probably work better than what we have now. I think Wardrope might fit that mould, but I haven't seen enough of him to be sure. I can understand not wanting to try that one at the moment, but I really don't see the harm in trying the other three.

I didn't think we played that well, we were solid at the back (against nothing mind you) and were gifted 3 goals. We played far better in recent weeks against Dunfermline and Forfar. With that 11 on the park we'd go on to have a good season, unfortunetly the 3 loanees returning - if they do - will be a serious blow and we'll be struggling again if that happens. Just hope we can keep at least 2 of them.

Ayr were a total shambles at the back and had nothing up front, the midfield offered nothing defensively or offensively, they were reasonable at passing the ball sideways but were never going anywhere. Their problems have been there for a while though. Finishing in the play-offs last year looks decent, but the league was so tight that they only actually finished 7 points ahead of 8th place. If you had swapped Moffat's 25-30 goals last season (and numerous assists) with Donnelly's handful of goals this season they would easily have been down the bottom fighting relegation, so it's no surprise that's where they are now. I know you could go through every team and hand pick important players who made a difference, but it's clear that Moffat covered up a huge number of failings last season, now he's gone they are being exposed.

Just watched the highlights.

That Ayr defending is even worse than anything we ever did under McGraw.

Under Reid when people said we were the worst team that had ever seen etc, there was an element of exaggeration. Under Roberts if anything it's been an underestimate. I reckon the next time we'll take any points (win or draw) will probably be either against Morton on the 17th or Stenny the week after. Not a slight against those teams but I'd hope by then any new manager would have had time to get the basics right and a couple of new faces in to steady the ship.

Oh you have to love the state were in just now.

1st goal is an aimless punt by Hutton followed by a half-hearted attempt at winning a header by Crawford follwed by a half-hearted attempt at a tackle by Gilmour followed by McLaughlin whos towing a caravan and really should have dealt with the high ball before it bounced before he gets outpaced and bullied by big Lister.

2nd goal we are all over the place. McLaughlin dragged away out of position by big Lister whilst Devlin stands and watches instead of sticking a foot in, then big McKinley all of a sudden thinks hes Beckenbaur before being outpaced by Prunty lol

As for the 3rd goal Muir doesnt stop the cross, Donald doesnt put it in Row Z whilst Hutton and McKinley dont know whether its New York or New year. I wonder what they'll work on at training this week. Probably King of the ring lol

Archived