Glasgow City Centre Crash

1320Lichtie

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this tweet a police matter out of interest? Sure it's in extremely poor taste, and I'm in no way defending it, but does that merit the police being involved?

God help numerous P&B posters who post "jokey" comments on threads involving tragedies around the World.

Yup.

I've seen worse here but apparently it's fine to laugh at johnny foreigner.

Just seen this on Facebook, Lad has shut down his twitter after a backlash due to this sick fucking tweet. ITV News are reporting the police are investigating complaints regarding it. Hope the arsehole gets what he deserves.

The lassie who laughed at it as similarly shut hers down.

10885199_10205019187733284_8076725065771

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-12-22/police-investigate-offensive-twitter-message-following-glasgow-collision/

I think he tweeted that before the details of 6 dead mind, then removed it when things became clearer. Its @Northumbriapol that are investigating the tweet, which although the lad needs a slap, is a tad too far for me

Just seen this on Facebook, Lad has shut down his twitter after a backlash due to this sick fucking tweet. ITV News are reporting the police are investigating complaints regarding it. Hope the arsehole gets what he deserves.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-12-22/police-investigate-offensive-twitter-message-following-glasgow-collision/

The guy's guilty of a shite joke, getting his figures wrong and using a stupid Americanism. Go on any thread here about any tragedies elsewhere and you'll find plenty of 'jokes'.

My work has a number of offices in Glasgow and until June we were in Royal Exchange house (across from the Gallery of Modern art). The CCTV at reception had a camera that pointed directly at the main doors which face where this all started. Would imagine the landlords would give any footage to the police to help with the investigation.

Reports say that 3 members of the same family are feared to be amongst the 6 dead. Source is the Mail so hopefully not true.

Given the circumstances I guess it's fairly likely - I also think that given the circumstances it's fortunate that there's not been more fatalities tbh

I don't think so. What sets posters here apart?

Nothing. It is a tragedy whoever it is.

However, it is a natural human instinct to empathise most with those you have a "connection" with, no matter how loose that connection is. To be on a forum and hope no-one on that forum has been directly affected is perfectly natural. To criticise that, and deliberately misinterpret it, looks like an attempt to appear "edgy".

It's a joke, a highly insensitive one but talk of the police getting involved is ridiculous.

The various online witch hunts that occur around these incidents are a bit disturbing too. Facebook this morning has various punters sharing the boy's photo. The online world is a bit creepy at times.

Not to sure what the girl who replied did wrong unless you read that smilie as tears of laughter !?

This sort of thing has been discussed on here before - virtually every P&B thread about similarly newsworthy events around the World contains jokes.

There's no such thing as too soon on Twitter, only too late. I've always found it a place for jokes about tragedies/events and don't have a problem with it. Facebook is the home of the perpetually offended.

I think he tweeted that before the details of 6 dead mind, then removed it when things became clearer. Its @Northumbriapol that are investigating the tweet, which although the lad needs a slap, is a tad too far for me

He looks like a tit. I got a caution for less. Defo done something.

If the police actually follow up on it, I'd be a wee bit uncomfortable with that. Because that would open a fairly big can of worms.

If the police want to get involved in that then they could make about two dozen arrests from a P&B thread after every major tragedy (except one on our own doorstep of course when everybody gets a lot more sensitive for some (hypocritical) reason).

Archived