Glasgow City Centre Crash

1320Lichtie

The people make Glasgow chat is pretty poor.

Yes Glasgow has experienced 2 major tragedies with high loss of life in 13 months however their reaction is nothing other than would be expected or occur in any other city in the UK.

As a city with one of the highest rates of violent crime/homicide in the western world the suggestion it is a friendly city is ridiculous.

Offering help to the deceased and injured doesn't make them anything other than normal human beings.

Whereas the suggestion that you are a w**k is bang on.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people make Glasgow chat is pretty poor.

Yes Glasgow has experienced 2 major tragedies with high loss of life in 13 months however their reaction is nothing other than would be expected or occur in any other city in the UK.

As a city with one of the highest rates of violent crime/homicide in the western world the suggestion it is a friendly city is ridiculous.

Offering help to the deceased and injured doesn't make them anything other than normal human beings.

Oh FFS quit your complaining, people have died in a horrific accident tonight 3 days before Christmas and all you want to do is try and get a sly dig in about the city.

Just incase you haven't noticed the "People make Glasgow" is the slogan for the city,.

Oh FFS quit your complaining, people have died in a horrific accident tonight 3 days before Christmas and all you want to do is try and get a sly dig in about the city.

Just incase you haven't noticed the "People make Glasgow" is the slogan for the city,.

and now being used in many areas to suggest the fact that the people of Glasgow didn't start dancing round bodies or pickpocketing from them is some achievement.

This is a tragic incident and it's unfortunate it is a 2nd major incident for Glasgow but as I said the people in London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Inverness, Sheffield, Birmingham would have all shown the same dignity.

Are you just acting a like an arse to get some attention on this thread?

and now being used in many areas to suggest the fact that the people of Glasgow didn't start dancing round bodies or pickpocketing from them is some achievement.

This is a tragic incident and it's unfortunate it is a 2nd major incident for Glasgow but as I said the people in London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Inverness, Sheffield, Birmingham would have all shown the same dignity.

Other examples of cringeworthy behaviour - I was there 4 months ago.....It's a major point in a major city. Probably 10% of Scots have been there. It's almost as bad as the Sky reporting

Or those witnessed it telling others about body parts etc. Is this really necessary?

Let's just respect the peace of the vicitms and count ourselves lucky there wasn't significantly more victims as for that Lorry to travel the distance it did through the location it did with only 6 fatalities is some what of a miracle (even with the devastation) in itself.

Respect their peace? When you just nipped in to have a little dig at Glasgow? That's not exactly respectful behaviour either.

Edinburgh vs Glasgow point scoring tonight of all nights? Get a fucking grip son.

You'll probably find a city in the thrall of a football fuelled religious divide rallies together with far more compassion and solidarity than your showing right now.

Think animosity directed at other posters should be moved to PM's, this thread is definitely not the place.

A very cruel incident, and I hope those who are injured can pull through. There's no greater gift than life and to have it stolen from you, especially at this time of year is utterly tragic; more so when you consider it impacts a lot of people's lives.

Edinburgh vs Glasgow point scoring tonight of all nights? Get a fucking grip son.

You'll probably find a city in the thrall of a football fuelled religious divide rallies together with far more compassion and solidarity than your showing right now.

This is exactly the sort of thing I was referring too. What on earth have Rangers and Celtic got to do with this tragedy?

Are we meant to be grateful they aren't out fighting each other.

I have plenty of compassion for the victims, It just doesn't have anything to do with their race, religion, city, football club or anything else, it is to do with a tragic incident in which people lost their lives.

This is exactly the sort of thing I was referring too. What on earth have Rangers and Celtic got to do with this tragedy?

I have plenty of compassion for the victims, It just doesn't have anything to do with their race, religion, city, football club or anything else, it is to do with a tragic incident in which people lost their lives.

I'd stop this tangent, this thread isn't the place for it.

Think animosity directed at other posters should be moved to PM's, this thread is definitely not the place.

A very cruel incident, and I hope those who are injured can pull through. There's no greater gift than life and to have it stolen from you, especially at this time of year is utterly tragic; more so when you consider it impacts a lot of people's lives.

Death impacts on peoples lives no matter the time of year, I'm not having a dig at you but it doesn't hurt any less or more just because it's Christmas.

Death impacts on peoples lives no matter the time of year, I'm not having a dig at you but it doesn't hurt any less or more just because it's Christmas.

Aye, it's just a pretty godawful thing to happen regardless of the way you try and look at it. Hope nobody from PnB and their families were hurt.

We know it is so stop fucking comparing cities. I noticed DeeBoy gave a wee unsure face next to one of my posts too, what's the need? Listening/watching the news to see and hear that is all absolutely horrible, I also have a shitload of family in Glasgow who I was worrying about when I made that post. Thankfully I have found out tonight that nobody I know was anywhere near it. It's totally shit for Glasgow, 2 disasters in the space of a year. I was in the city after and during Clutha last year and it was a very horrible experience. Not really much people can do about this but I hope there's no more fatalities.

The silliness that divides us is much smaller than that what unites us.

All of us will be scanning the lists of the victims to look for names we know.

Nothing in football matters as much as hoping everyone you care about is home safe tonight.

Erm, no. I don't think trying to be the first person to get a photo on Twitter is ever the right thing to do and I'll never understand why that would be someone's initial thought. As I said previously, I find it ghoulish. I'm merely pointing out that these things do now have a use. Calm down. :blink:

I guess nobody should have filmed 9/11 then? Hillsborough or the Vietnam war?

I think photos and footage from disasters serve a pretty distinct purpose and it's important from a historical and evidential purpose. If this was a criminal event that occurred that stuff could be the evidence required to bring somebody to justice. I can't say why somebody would film a tragedy but I for one am glad people do record and document such events, can you imagine if we had no footage of the Ethiopian famine, no photos of the siege of Sydney Street.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that this event has quite the same gravity as the above but I think the world is a richer place for documenting extensively the tragic as well as the fantastic since the invention of the camera. IIRC there was a popular thread of important and interesting photos, incidentally many of the takers of those were not doing the "right thing".

I guess nobody should have filmed 9/11 then? Hillsborough or the Vietnam war?

I think photos and footage from disasters serve a pretty distinct purpose and it's important from a historical and evidential purpose. If this was a criminal event that occurred that stuff could be the evidence required to bring somebody to justice. I can't say why somebody would film a tragedy but I for one am glad people do record and document such events, can you imagine if we had no footage of the Ethiopian famine, no photos of the siege of Sydney Street.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that this event has quite the same gravity as the above but I think the world is a richer place for documenting extensively the tragic as well as the fantastic since the invention of the camera. IIRC there was a popular thread of important and interesting photos, incidentally many of the takers of those were not doing the "right thing".

There is the Zapruder images and the moon landing images in the public domain, yet some people remain to be convinced, you can't win either way.

Archived