Glasgow City Centre Crash

1320Lichtie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He willingly lied about medical matters that would directly affect his ability to drive safely, you wouldn't hire someone with a history of blackouts for that role precisely for this reason. His actions led to the deaths of 6 people

I know the facts.

The question I asked was, is it illegal to lie?

I know the facts.

It depends entirely upon context.

If I tell you that it's 3pm when it's actually 2.45pm then I'm lying, but I'm not breaking any laws. Except perhaps the Law Of Not Purposefully Making People Late For Lolz (Scotland) Act 1990 (2.1b).

However, If I go into a bank and say I'm you to withdraw money from your account, then I'm lying and committing a crime by using that lie to attempt to defraud someone.

As for the lorry driver, the PF announced early on that he would not face criminal proceedings, so the discussion is wholly moot. But for what it's worth, I'd have thought there would be a case to answer for culpable homicide or one of the various crimes covered by the road traffic acts owing to his lie putting him in a position that has directly resulted in these deaths.

It depends entirely upon context.

Obviously within this context.

I agree with the family now that the facts are out they should be looking at legal action against him.

I'm just not sure it is illegal to lie

I'm not defending the driver, but in his mind because he had never conked out while driving before (as far as I know) he probably thought he'd be ok. Stupid, negligent and dishonest but not necessarily evil.

I know the facts.

Bet me to that link zen

https://www.gov.uk/blackouts-and-driving

"You can be fined up to £1,000 if you dont tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if youre involved in an accident as a result"

In this case not only did it lead to a accident it caused the deaths of 6 people.

That's a very sill question that you already know the answer to.

Why should I?

If it's such a silly question, then why wasn't he charged originally? And why do they still refuse to charge him?

Clearly it's not as black and white legally.

Obviously within this context.

I agree with the family now that the facts are out they should be looking at legal action against him.

I'm just not sure it is illegal to lie

The William Payne case was ruled an accident with no criminal proceedings, then after an appeal by the victims' families was reviewed and ruled an accident without need for criminal trial a second time earlier this year.

It depends what on, as there is a whole pile of stuff which I've signed off over the years with the likes of "it is a criminal offence to knowingly provide inaccurate information relating to your application".

Wouldn't surprise me if an application to your local government body (e.g. for a council scaffie job in this case) had the same. I would hope it would being public sector related tbh, but it might not be.

Archived