Glasgow City Centre Crash

1320Lichtie

Who is being blamed? Driver had a heart attack, and it built up speed.

If the other crew members jumped off the lorry rather than trying to get to the handbrake or move driver off accelerator whilst not to blame they certainly won't be getting any bravery awards.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can bin lorries travel at 70mph?

A spokesman for the Institute of Traffic Accident Investigators has told the Press Association that vehicles, even large ones, can carry on for a considerable distance if there is an "unintended acceleration", which could be caused by a driver falling ill - and perhaps going into a spasm - with their foot on the accelerator, or by someone inadvertently pressing the accelerator rather than the brake.

The man, who asked not to be named, said: "Without speculating on this incident, there might be a number of causes for a vehicle to travel a considerable distance.

"If there is no external influence on the steering direction of the vehicle, then it will continue in a straight line.

"An external influence might be a driver applying steering, or the wheels coming into contact with something like a kerb.

"Regarding the distance travelled, one would expect a vehicle to slow if the driver's foot had been removed from the accelerator, due to engine braking. And of course if the brake were applied one would expect it to slow."

The spokesman said that in the eventuality of a brake failure a driver can also slow a vehicle by changing down through the gears.

He added: "But there are air brakes on those (bin lorries) and vehicles are fitted with a fail-safe mechanism. In air-brake system failures, brakes will come on automatically.

"Had there been a failure in the air brake system the air brakes should automatically apply, but if it has carried on all this distance that would not appear to have been a problem in this case.

"So gravity and engine braking would slow it down over a relatively short distance, if acceleration was not applied. And obviously brakes being applied should slow it down over a relatively short distance."

If the other crew members jumped off the lorry rather than trying to get to the handbrake or move driver off accelerator whilst not to blame they certainly won't be getting any bravery awards.

Surely that is wrong? They were hanging on the sides. Nowt they could of done.

They might have been perched by the doors, ready to collect bins. And someone told the BBC that someone told him that someone saw something is hardly a cast iron source.

I guess nobody should have filmed 9/11 then? Hillsborough or the Vietnam war?

I think photos and footage from disasters serve a pretty distinct purpose and it's important from a historical and evidential purpose. If this was a criminal event that occurred that stuff could be the evidence required to bring somebody to justice. I can't say why somebody would film a tragedy but I for one am glad people do record and document such events, can you imagine if we had no footage of the Ethiopian famine, no photos of the siege of Sydney Street.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that this event has quite the same gravity as the above but I think the world is a richer place for documenting extensively the tragic as well as the fantastic since the invention of the camera. IIRC there was a popular thread of important and interesting photos, incidentally many of the takers of those were not doing the "right thing".

Evidence and information are one thing and I'm not criticising that (in fact, as I've stated, it's a positive) but I really don't think that was the purpose behind those recording the incident yesterday. Titillation, appealing to the highest bidder and just wanting to be the first are not good motives for filming this stuff.

2312-GLASGOW_3146266c.jpg

Interesting as it isn't a full straight line - you'd have thought the driver if taken ill to hit someone at GOMA would then have hit that building but instead seems to have made that corner then cruised in a straight line.

Interesting as it isn't a full straight line - you'd have thought the driver if taken ill to hit someone at GOMA would then have hit that building but instead seems to have made that corner then cruised in a straight line.

It is a straight line.

Did you just come into this thread to act like a c**t?

It is a straight line.

Did you just come into this thread to act like a c**t?

We obviously have a different interpretation of straight but that diagram is fairly clear. It approached a right turn, hit someone on the right turn then straightened up before cruising in a straight line.

We obviously have a different interpretation of straight but that diagram is fairly clear. It approached a right turn, hit someone on the right turn then straightened up before cruising in a straight line.

I walk along that street as does many almost every day.

You're attempting to troll or just an idiot, maybe both

That is horrible design. For situations like this there is absolutely a need that others in and outside the cab can stop the lorry

why stop at bin lorries what about all cars, in case someone who is in a lorry with someone else has a heart attack. It was a freak situation, I don't think it merits all vehicles being retrofitted with a magic button. It would be like stopping tall buildings being built because of 9/11

A couple and their teenage granddaughter have been named as three of the people that died yesterday, according to ITV News. I've not named them here in case anyone does know them and hasn't heard yet. This isn't really the place to find that out.

A couple and their teenage granddaughter have been named as three of the people that died yesterday, according to ITV News. I've not named them here in case anyone does know them and hasn't heard yet. This isn't really the place to find that out.

A member of my family knows them via a childhood friend who is a relation of theirs. I believe other Dumbarton based posters may also know them.

A member of my family knows them via a childhood friend who is a relation of theirs. I believe other Dumbarton based posters may also know them.

I had put a link in and changed my mind for precisely that reason. I'd hate to have to read that on here if it was me.

Hi guys sorry if anyone has posted this already but there is a page on Facebook called god hates Scotland and was made to make fun of the Clutha,Lockerbie bombings and what just happened yesterday I think it is best that every one reports the page on Facebook to get that troll banned

Archived