Glasgow City Centre Crash

1320Lichtie

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or climbing down the statue.

ETA: Check out BBC News. Something very similar to what happened here's just happened in France.

By the looks of things the attacks in France were intentional? Driver has stabbed himself, guy had a long history of mental illnesses aswell.

This is mental. Shocking.

On a sidenote, my girlfriend came home and said "I was just there last Friday with the kids....it could have been us". Gies peace.

Well she has a point,,, it's a classic line on here "it could've been me" but when it's something close to home like this, and no doubt 100s of users on here have probably recently been on that street,,,then yes,,,it could have been me , suddenly means something.

Well she has a point,,, it's a classic line on here "it could've been me" but when it's something close to home like this, and no doubt 100s of users on here have probably recently been on that street,,,then yes,,,it could have been me , suddenly means something.
not really, it means as much here as any of the other times.

Sat down in Urban (between Buchanan Street and George Square) for my works Christmas lunch 15 minutes or so before it happened and walked out into a cordoned off area with some pretty horrific scenes towards George Square. Can't imagine what it's like for anyone involved, related, or witnessed to. Absolute tragedy.

Horrible horrible horrible!!!

Was in town with my wife for a little Xmas day out. Actually walked past there 5mins before it happened to head down to The Merchant City for lunch.... Walked back the way an hour later to absolute carnage. Couldn't believe what we were seeing!

Really was a terrible sight. We went for a few drinks after it but our day out had kind of fizzled out after seeing it.

I'm genuinely quite a cold hearted person but my thoughts are with every family affected bye this utter tragedy.

What struck me was the speed that you could get info from Twitter. I was working in my office which is 5 mins walk away up St Vincent Street and we knew about it long before all the sirens started. It wasn't nice knowing what was going on outside.

Sometimes feel amazed that peoples first reaction (and I wasn't there today so I don't know how it went down, but as a first responder I see this a lot) is to bring out a phone and film something when there is an emergency, you'd like to think if it was your family people would help?

I've mentioned this on another thread but when did folk start referring to the emergency services as first responders?

Who was the total sociopath, Karen whatever, getting interviewed off John McKay.....giving it 'lets wait to hear from professionals, not unreliable bystsnders'. For the love of Christ of Palestine, some people. The Turkish/Arab guy who caught the whole fallout in his phone and remained composed despite blatantly reeling from the events in front of him, and the wee 17/18 year old boy done themselves proud. As expected Mackay the only reporter there to emerge with any credit. Bird is worse than Matthews.

John McKay changed his voice for tonight's news also.

I'm John McKay and I want an award, maybe in being cynical?

He's a dick.

Sometimes feel amazed that peoples first reaction (and I wasn't there today so I don't know how it went down, but as a first responder I see this a lot) is to bring out a phone and film something when there is an emergency, you'd like to think if it was your family people would help?

I think there'sbeen less of that on this occasion, from what I've seen anyway. We heard there was a lorry rampaging through crowds of people which, although sensational, wasn't too far from the truth. I haven't seen any horrific pics etc. The most graphic thing I've seen is the phone video that Sky news is running with which isn't as bad as it could have been.

I think there'sbeen less of that on this occasion, from what I've seen anyway. We heard there was a lorry rampaging through crowds of people which, although sensational, wasn't too far from the truth. I haven't seen any horrific pics etc. The most graphic thing I've seen is the phone video that Sky news is running with which isn't as bad as it could have been.

I've seen one or two of people lying on stretchers receiving medical attention. I'd be horrified to find that some vulture had been taking photos of me in that condition for uploading on Twitter or selling to the media. What a disgusting way to behave.

Matthews rightly getting pelters on Twitter. Hope he learns what we, the viewers want to hear about. At the end of the day he's there to report news to us and from what I can see there's not one person interested in the bloody details of what people looked like getting knocked down.

Utterly tragic day.

To be fair, the phone video I saw had loads of people sprinting down towards the crash zone, looking to help.

Like I said I wasn't there today, I'm just making a point though that I don't understand how anyone would take pictures etc when there's people needing help, well done those people who went to help, I'd like to think once it settles these people will be recognised. I can't imagine how people not used to seeing accidents etc can deal with it and I hope that folks involved get access to counselling. I've known a few colleagues gone to pretty horrific things and noticed a change in them, it's not normal for people to see people killed in front of their eyes and can stay with people for a long time.

I know exactly what you're talking about, but there seemed to be a lot of people wanting to help today. And as you'll know from your experience, too many people milling about wanting to help can be just as dangerous as not enough people wanting to help.

And maybe it's best that someone who's first thought in an emergency situation is "let's get this on film" isn't let loose on a casualty, to be fair. If I had someone tending to me in that situation, I'd want them to be concentrating on me, not planning how many likes they will get from their Facebook update later on.

Archived