Real Fitbaw

Hertha_BJFC

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at Largs on Saturday and to be honest never really gave a second thought to the fact that it wasn't on grass.

Think most people would prefer a half decent grass pitch but in reality from now till March we are at the mercy of the weather.

We are lucky at Kilsyth to have some excellent groundsmen who work on the pitch in all sorts of weather but If at some point in the future an artificial surface was installed I don't think it would even register as a reason to stop going.

If it's good enough for the Champions League and the SPFL then we are kidding ourselves on if we think it's not good enough or the way forward through time for the juniors or should we still be playing with footballs stitched up on the outside.

Was at Largs on Saturday and to be honest never really gave a second thought to the fact that it wasn't on grass.

Think most people would prefer a half decent grass pitch but in reality from now till March we are at the mercy of the weather.

We are lucky at Kilsyth to have some excellent groundsmen who work on the pitch in all sorts of weather but If at some point in the future an artificial surface was installed I don't think it would even register as a reason to stop going.

If it's good enough for the Champions League and the SPFL then we are kidding ourselves on if we think it's not good enough or the way forward through time for the juniors or should we still be playing with footballs stitched up on the outside.

Kilsyth have a good pitch there is really no need to even consider a plastic carpet.Some clubs like Dalry have massive probs and if anybody needs to go plastic it is clubs like them though they could never afford it.

Like I said I can't really see it happening at Kilsyth but the average age of the guys who keep the pitch in great condition must be at least 70 and what happens when they are not in a position to do it any longer?

Think part of the problem is a drive to get games on when they probably end up doing more harm to the pitch and leave them cut up for weeks without a chance to properly recover and in the long run causes more games to be put off.

As has been said previously the cost will be prohibitive for most clubs unless a benefactor such as the Weirs at Largs gets interested in helping or they have the infrastructure to go down the "community club" route. Not many clubs have the kind of support Largs received and I'd imagine the state of some pitches is indicative of the lack of support available at many clubs, which in turn would make the chances of a successful partnership type application extremely difficult to pull off.

The other part to the argument for me is that 3g doesnt help in terms of injuries. If you are heading towards the end of ur playing days like me I notice a huge difference. It aint great for the knees or the back & I ruptured my posterior cruciate playing on one. Feel that my foot would have slipped away on grass when striker smashed me below knee cap.

Largs is a great example but for the money they spent could have a grass surface like talbots with a fulltime groundsman looking after it.

Peasies is a bad example as has needed relayed for the last 5/6 years but is used so often they cant get round to that.

People throughout the Scottish game prefer grass to plastic... but only in this Junior sub-forum have I ever seen the argument that plastic pitches are bad, end-of-story, and even shouldn't be allowed. It is similar to the argument which must have prevailed about floodlights 20-30-40yrs ago, while the rest of the game embraced the new technology, and the legacy of that is still being lived with today.

Agreed. Junior clubs will either adapt or they will die, & if selling their "immortal Junior soul" for 4G is the price of life for some rather than ceaseless financially crippling call offs as well as being able to realistically rent out the park as a revenue generator, so be it.

Agreed. Junior clubs will either adapt or they will die, & if selling their "immortal Junior soul" for 4G is the price of life for some rather than ceaseless financially crippling call offs as well as being able to realistically rent out the park as a revenue generator, so be it.

Fair play buddy but I wouldn't be back if every team and my own included went down the road of " artificial fitba" .

Firstly thanks to Hertha for his kind comments. Took quite a bit of work by the groundsman and others to get the game as the Cumnock game really damaged the park.

I used to be of the view it should only be grass for football but to be honest over the last few years I have been converted. The time and effort it takes throughout the year is putting real pressure on committees throughout junior football.

Put a wee bit of effort into your pitch...next time yer at Kilbirnie ask our young groundsman how it's done.

I think that's a wee bit harsh. A lot of problems can come from what your park is built on. For example Dunterlie is a built on a old lade for one of the local mills & after that was a dump for clay & porcelain for Shanks & these things make it hard for the park to drain. The other major problems is that a lot of the land around Barrhead is full of Iron Oxide and this clogs the drains on the park. There is no way of fixing these problems. In my time on the committee we have undertaken several big projects to fix areas of the park but without any real long term solution.

It's hard for clubs and if they have the finances/support to change their pitch I don't think they should be chastised for doing so.

Firstly thanks to Hertha for his kind comments. Took quite a bit of work by the groundsman and others to get the game as the Cumnock game really damaged the park.

I used to be of the view it should only be grass for football but to be honest over the last few years I have been converted. The time and effort it takes throughout the year is putting real pressure on committees throughout junior football.

I think that's a wee bit harsh. A lot of problems can come from what your park is built on. For example Dunterlie is a built on a old lade for one of the local mills & after that was a dump for clay & porcelain for Shanks & these things make it hard for the park to drain. The other major problems is that a lot of the land around Barrhead is full of Iron Oxide and this clogs the drains on the park. There is no way of fixing these problems. In my time on the committee we have undertaken several big projects to fix areas of the park but without any real long term solution.

It's hard for clubs and if they have the finances/support to change their pitch I don't think they should be chastised for doing so.

How long have Arthurlie been playing at Dunterlie ?...donkeys years.Is this a new problem ?...no.Thing is,we all look at pictures on TV and think that's how ma pitch should look,we are looking for...nay..expecting perfection.Ibrox used to be one of the worst playing surfaces...horrendous... This is junior fitba...we don't have money for lights never mind full time groundsmen,never mind artificial grass unless it's donated or we move to some council monstrosity like Peasie Park...all we can do is do the best we can...some clubs have pitches that grow well,drain well and don't require a lot of maintenance, others don't... that's just the way it is.Artificial is so called cause it's no real grass..and it produces artificial fitba...we will all be wanting indoor stadiums like Toryglen next...that would kill the summer fitba debate.

Great post and true

How long have Arthurlie been playing at Dunterlie ?...donkeys years.Is this a new problem ?...no.Thing is,we all look at pictures on TV and think that's how ma pitch should look,we are looking for...nay..expecting perfection.Ibrox used to be one of the worst playing surfaces...horrendous... This is junior fitba...we don't have money for lights never mind full time groundsmen,never mind artificial grass unless it's donated or we move to some council monstrosity like Peasie Park...all we can do is do the best we can...some clubs have pitches that grow well,drain well and don't require a lot of maintenance, others don't... that's just the way it is.Artificial is so called cause it's no real grass..and it produces artificial fitba...we will all be wanting indoor stadiums like Toryglen next...that would kill the summer fitba debate.

I didn't say it was a new problem but it is becoming a bigger issue than it was before as referee (and I'm not criticising them) are more likely to put matches off now due to player safety and the knock on effect of lost income and you also have the region pushing for improved pitches for less call offs so that there isn't a rush at the end of the season. All that adds to the problem and as someone said earlier one game played in very bad conditions could hurt you longer term.

All the more reason for everyone to get behind a 4G at Bellsdale them. Seriously though, how can that hill produce a fairer outcome than 4G?

Because its real football played on real grass . :)

There's also been three Ardagh cup finals played on it so come back to me when Largs with the 4g manage to host one ;)

Because its real football played on real grass . :)

There's also been three Ardagh cup finals played on it so come back to me when Largs with the 4g manage to host one ;)

So one team running up an obvious grass slope is fairer than playing on a perfectly flat 4G? I'd hazard a guess that about 75% of the games at Bellsdale each year produce an unfair result based on a mixture of that slope and the weather. On our surface the better football team wins 99% of the time, which is why we've such a terrible record on it

So one team running up an obvious grass slope is fairer than playing on a perfectly flat 4G? I'd hazard a guess that about 75% of the games at Bellsdale each year produce an unfair result based on a mixture of that slope and the weather. On our surface the better football team wins 99% of the time, which is why we've such a terrible record on it

Your correct you did hazard a guess that 75% of games on Bellsdale produce an unfair result due to the slope .

A guess from planet Pluto :)

Largs didnt seem to have any problems with the bellsdale slope at the start of the season. I think if Largs still played on grass they would be in a very different & more positive league position. As a team you kind of lose a bit of home advantage as well. Just my opinion.

Archived