Real Fitbaw

Hertha_BJFC

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has any club playing on astro won anything significant in recent years? Only a question,

Clubs that win trophies are rich enough to pay for ongoing maintenance to their grass pitches!

One of the above posters was right when he/she remarked that the design of a ground had a bearing on whether people take to an artificial surface or not.

I think Kilmarnock's artificial pitch looks superb for example, because it's a proper football stadium as opposed to a council facility occupied by a junior team.

Titles won by clubs with artificial pitches include:

Petershill (Central League Cup 2009-10)

Spartans (various leagues/cups)

East Kilbride (South Challenge Cup 2013-14)

Leith Athletic (Alex Jack Cups 2013-14 & 2014-15)

Edusport Academy (SOS League Cup 2014-15)

Heston Rovers (Potts Cup & Cree Lodge Cup 2013-14)

Finals played on artificial pitches include - the final pair of East Junior South Sectional Cup finals; last season's Lowland League Cup final; the 3 most recent South Challenge Cup finals; the 2012-13 Alex Jack Cup final; the 2011-12 EOS Qualifying Cup final; plus, a variety of the South of Scotland cup finals. Scottish Amateur Cup SFs have been played on plastic (e.g. Hamilton).

Senior & Junior clubs with artificial pitches are:

Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Alloa, Falkirk, Queen of the South, Airdrie, Forfar, Stenhousemuir, Annan, Clyde, East Stirlingshire*, Montrose

East Kilbride, Gala, Spartans, Leith, Spartans EOS, Crichton, Edusport, Heston, Mid Annandale, Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert

Banks o'Dee, Broxburn, Carluke, Largs, Petershill, Port Glasgow, Rossvale*

Did I read that Blackburn are laying one?

Put a wee bit of effort into your pitch...next time yer at Kilbirnie ask our young groundsman how it's done.

There's no doubt that young guy at Kilbirnie does a great job, and I had a chat with him at the pre-season tournament. But so does our groundsman as well, although probably on a fraction of the budget.

But my assertion that we should have gone for an artificial pitch was not in any wat meant as a criticism of our surface. It was more aimed at the missed commercial opportunities.

There's no doubt that young guy at Kilbirnie does a great job, and I had a chat with him at the pre-season tournament. But so does our groundsman as well, although probably on a fraction of the budget.

But my assertion that we should have gone for an artificial pitch was not in any wat meant as a criticism of our surface. It was more aimed at the missed commercial opportunities.

Alan does it in his spare time along with his Uncle Ian. Both have full time jobs as well with both being greenkeepers at local golf courses

The club applied for a grant a few years ago & bought our own stuff with said grant . No reason why any other club can't do the same

COME ON THE BLASTIES

i think a well maintained grass pitch is always preferable to plastic but when you see some of the mudbath pitches then you would have to say that platic is far better. the only plastic pitch I have seen any number of games on is largs'. In the dry it is way too fast and fiery, sodden it is almost like a mudbath of the past with splashes of water every time the ball lands. in intermediate conditions it does play almost like grass, A grass pitch doesnt change fast, yes drainage is a concern and the only way is to go the winton or beith route which involves almost laying a new surface

as for lights, my opinions are well known, this is 2014 and the amount of grounds with a grass pitch and lights in junior football is barely a handful

Alan does it in his spare time along with his Uncle Ian. Both have full time jobs as well with both being greenkeepers at local golf courses

The club applied for a grant a few years ago & bought our own stuff with said grant . No reason why any other club can't do the same

COME ON THE BLASTIES

Similarly our groundsman does it in his spare time after his full time job. These guys are to be admired and thanked for the efforts they put in during some horrendous weather at times as well.

as for lights, my opinions are well known, this is 2014 and the amount of grounds with a grass pitch and lights in junior football is barely a handful

I'm known on here for my light-hearted (see what I did there?) digs about Junior floodlighting - and I understand why clubs may not see the value in installing floodlights - although part of that is surely caused by things like the 2pm rule, and their use being frowned upon.

However: there are actually a decent number of clubs who already have floodlights. In addition to the 3G parks I list, others include: Ardrossan, Greenock, Maryhill, Neilston, Rutherglen, Shotts, Whitletts, Arbroath Vics, Bathgate, Blackburn, Dalkeith, Downfield, Dunbar, Dundee NE, Falkirk Jrs, Hill of Beath, Kennoway, Kinnoull, Kirriemuir, Linlithgow, Montrose Roselea, Newtongrange, Penicuik and Sauchie.

Of those some will not be of sufficient quality to host matches, but a majority are, alongwith all the 3G grounds.

Archived