Real Fitbaw

Hertha_BJFC

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In total agreement here. Fitba is for grass . Astro is ok for training games & friendlies but never enjoyed either playin or watching fitba on the carpets

#COTB

Yeah it's much better to just have every second game postponed and then play 7days a week in April and May. That's what the jinyirs is aw aboot. Nivur mind aw at modern stuff.

Get a grip

Yeah it's much better to just have every second game postponed and then play 7days a week in April and May. That's what the jinyirs is aw aboot. Nivur mind aw at modern stuff.

Get a grip

I would tend to agree. Plus you get more of a skilful football match on the 3G/4G surfaces instead of the mud battles we get on grass at this time of year. On the artificial pitches the emphasis is on skill and passing instead of which team is physically stronger. If you can't play on these pitches then you can't play football, in my opinion.

I would tend to agree. Plus you get more of a skilful football match on the 3G/4G surfaces instead of the mud battles we get on grass at this time of year. On the artificial pitches the emphasis is on skill and passing instead of which team is physically stronger. If you can't play on these pitches then you can't play football, in my opinion.

Exactly. If professional football at it's highest level has accepted 4G then it's about time everyone just accepted it. This debate 10years ago was fair enough but the standard of artificial pitch has greatly improved. In another decade our 4G will no doubt look obsolete as well. It's seems almost ludicrous to suggest that a muddy bog, or even Bellsdale on a good sunny afternoon, is preferable to a surface like Barrfields

Get a grip

Do some drainage work on Yer park & the rain isn't an issue

Soulless fitba no for me

Don't think the astro workin out well for you lot either tbh

#COTB

Astro ???

Whats that there are no astro parks drainage on most parks are fine

Games are off because off the amount off rain nowadays as parks cut up n are ruined

The surface's are quality nowadays they are slowly coming into the game getting better and are here to stay

Exactly. If professional football at it's highest level has accepted 4G then it's about time everyone just accepted it. This debate 10years ago was fair enough but the standard of artificial pitch has greatly improved. In another decade our 4G will no doubt look obsolete as well. It's seems almost ludicrous to suggest that a muddy bog, or even Bellsdale on a good sunny afternoon, is preferable to a surface like Barrfields

We will just need to agree to disagree.

Grass whether good , bad or indifferent is simply a totally different game for me to any kind of synthetic and I've saw the worst from the sir Matt busby complex up at bellshill to the best up at airdrie and also down at Largs .

Remember we played a game on a grass pitch one week and our wee left back desperately slid ten yards to stop a ball going out for a throw in out on the wing, he then picked himself up and went down the wing and crossed for us to score .

The next week we played up at petershill and there was no chance of any player doing the same due to the surface unless they wanted a leg that looked as though it had been on the receiving end of a cheese grater.

People throughout the Scottish game prefer grass to plastic... but only in this Junior sub-forum have I ever seen the argument that plastic pitches are bad, end-of-story, and even shouldn't be allowed. It is similar to the argument which must have prevailed about floodlights 20-30-40yrs ago, while the rest of the game embraced the new technology, and the legacy of that is still being lived with today.

Good grass pitches are best. But there are a lot of not very good grass pitches.

Also, the "atmosphere" argument is nonsensical.

Are you telling me that the atmosphere of say Newlandsfield would be wrecked, simply by the green rectangle being plastic instead of grass?

Conversely, would somewhere like Battery Park render people dewy-eyed, if only the surface was natural not artificial?

Of course not. Atmosphere is created by people.

EDIT: Worth adding that most likely venues for Junior Cup finals including its recent home of Rugby Park, have gone 3G/4G or are looking to do so. Is the position of the anti-plastic advocates that these venues should be discounted?

We will just need to agree to disagree.

Grass whether good , bad or indifferent is simply a totally different game for me to any kind of synthetic and I've saw the worst from the sir Matt busby complex up at bellshill to the best up at airdrie and also down at Largs .

Remember we played a game on a grass pitch one week and our wee left back desperately slid ten yards to stop a ball going out for a throw in out on the wing, he then picked himself up and went down the wing and crossed for us to score .

The next week we played up at petershill and there was no chance of any player doing the same due to the surface unless they wanted a leg that looked as though it had been on the receiving end of a cheese grater.

Hertha he might have got there quicker on a good surface

People throughout the Scottish game prefer grass to plastic... but only in this Junior sub-forum have I ever seen the argument that plastic pitches are bad, end-of-story, and even shouldn't be allowed. It is similar to the argument which must have prevailed about floodlights 20-30-40yrs ago, while the rest of the game embraced the new technology, and the legacy of that is still being lived with today.

Good grass pitches are best. But there are a lot of not very good grass pitches.

Are you telling me that the atmosphere of say Newlandsfield would be wrecked, simply by the green rectangle being plastic instead of grass?

Conversely, would somewhere like Battery Park render people dewy-eyed, if only the surface was natural not artificial?

EDIT: Worth adding that most likely venues for Junior Cup finals including its recent home of Rugby Park, have gone 3G/4G or are looking to do so. Is the position of the anti-plastic advocates that these venues should be discounted?

Good post HB

I likened the Sir Matt Busby to the one at Broxburn. I know that a few of our players dislike the Broxburn pitch. IMO having walked on the both mentioned there doesn't appear to to be much give. Some players who have ankle problems hate them. The only other that I have walked on is new one at Falkirk, now that is an excellent surface. Does any one know what base material is used before laying the top surface down?

It's definitely the way forward - my head tells me that, but whether it's a psychological thing or not, I still find it difficult to get into watching a game on an artificial pitch in the same way I do grass - too often they seem to have a wee whiff of training game about them.

Probably what doesn't help a lot of the time is the way a lot of the grounds featuring them are designed - I'm thinking the more sports-centrey type ones - leaving the park looking like an oversized five-a-side cage.

Archived