St Mirren Relegation Express

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nail on the head - St Mirren never appeared to have a plan to get further than bottom 6 and surviving - and plenty of other clubs with similar resources have come up, consolidated and then pushed on whilst Saints have turned in a string of double digit finishes and done no better than treading water. The brilliant league cup win should have been a catalyst to move things on but it hasn't turned out that way.

The main difference is whereas other clubs (ICT, St Johnstone, Dundee, Accies, etc) have appointed well with their Managers and signed players that got excellent value for their budget, St Mirren didn't basically. Gus did the initial bit of keeping them up but after that, they've never had the right man in charge...

^^^ This. Well summarised.

My first "away" game. I had a great day. Got a bridie. We didn't get those at Cappielow.

Genuinely no other memories of that match apart from Mark Pickering getting hit on the back from a keeper's kick out and someone (Mahood maybe?) getting injured

We got to the final in 93, where Falkirk horsed us 3-0 at Fir Park and it pished of rain the whole time. I remember sitting freezing in soaking wet trousers. It's one of my first clear memories of a football match actually, despite it being one I'd rather forget. I remember thinking Richard Cadette was the best player I'd ever seen.

Get it up yi Lex.

Was happy to Lord it up a few years ago when the Dons were shite, never appears on Aberdeen threads these days :(

Roond yi.

When they beat us last season, they followed our match threads for months afterwards in a creepy stalkerish way. For that reason, i hope they stay down for the foreseeable future. That said, they have one or two decent posters who will be missed

Nail on the head - St Mirren never appeared to have a plan to get further than bottom 6 and surviving - and plenty of other clubs with similar resources have come up, consolidated and then pushed on whilst Saints have turned in a string of double digit finishes and done no better than treading water. The brilliant league cup win should have been a catalyst to move things on but it hasn't turned out that way.

The main difference is whereas other clubs (ICT, St Johnstone, Dundee, Accies, etc) have appointed well with their Managers and signed players that got excellent value for their budget, St Mirren didn't basically. Gus did the initial bit of keeping them up but after that, they've never had the right man in charge...

The galling thing was that was our second opportunity to push on. The first was when we moved ground and cleared the debt. Both times we did f**k all apart from the usual and cut the budgets. We are a Premiership club run with Championship ambitions - and even that is being kind.

Our infrastructure away from the football side of things is a complete disgrace and we just muddle on hoping to finish 11th - a target that has changed to 10th in the last two seasons. This season was a great chance to do something with no Rangers, no Hearts and no Hibs. What do we do? Make an absolute clusterfuck of a managerial appointment and cut the playing budget yet again. Even though that appointment was months ago and the fuckwit who treated everyone with contempt has long been binned, I am still "seething" at that. The shambolic way the club has been run this year is causing me far more anger than our relegation, which I accepted weeks if not months ago.

You may have noticed stories that the BBC accidentally typed Renfrewshite in one of their election captions. Many people found it amusing, as did I. Then I remembered we have had a board in our main stand all season with the word "Pailsey" in it. Sums up the joke we are.

When they beat us last season, they followed our match threads for months afterwards in a creepy stalkerish way. For that reason, i hope they stay down for the foreseeable future. That said, they have one or two decent posters who will be missed

You described every club represented on P&B

The galling thing was that was our second opportunity to push on. The first was when we moved ground and cleared the debt. Both times we did f**k all apart from the usual and cut the budgets. We are a Premiership club run with Championship ambitions - and even that is being kind.

Our infrastructure away from the football side of things is a complete disgrace and we just muddle on hoping to finish 11th - a target that has changed to 10th in the last two seasons. This season was a great chance to do something with no Rangers, no Hearts and no Hibs. What do we do? Make an absolute clusterfuck of a managerial appointment and cut the playing budget yet again. Even though that appointment was months ago and the fuckwit who treated everyone with contempt has long been binned, I am still "seething" at that. The shambolic way the club has been run this year is causing me far more anger than our relegation, which I accepted weeks if not months ago.

You may have noticed stories that the BBC accidentally typed Renfrewshite in one of their election captions. Many people found it amusing, as did I. Then I remembered we have had a board in our main stand all season with the word "Pailsey" in it. Sums up the joke we are.

Better than "Renfrewshite"

The jokes, the gifs, the pointing-and-laughing, the 'GIRFUY' comments, the 'cheerio' jibes... all deserved. Absolutely deserved and any Saints fans who regularly post on here need to hold their hands up and take it on the chin. From Dundee fans who have a team who have pushed on, from Accies fans who had a great season until crippled by the loss of not only a manager, but a midfielder, and from Thistle fans who have watched their team rack up more points than we ever managed in nine attempts.

All fair game. We were utterly shit, and it looks like being a long road back. However.... Morton fans. Coming out from nowhere with gifs and jibes. Seriously?

Yes, we were shit. So shit that we reached a League Cup final in 2010, and again in 2013, winning it in a thrilling 3-2 final after another thrilling 3-2 semi final win over Scotland's champions and undeniably the best and strongest team - Celtic. We also had nearly a decade as a top flight club. Not always pretty to watch, and we fannied around in the bottom six.... But I tell you this - it sure beat the kind of fannying around undertaken by our Greenock cousins over the last decade.

Morton fans would do well to button their lips for a wee while. Shhhh!

Still; at least you're taking it well.

I have no idea why you thought a League Cup final appearance in 2010 had any relevance whatsoever to your clown-running-across-a-minefield display this season, which is kinda the topic of the thread. Other than that point of order, as you were with the sobbing and the fury.

It is easy to stick the boot in to the board. The Tommy Craig appointment was a shocker, everyone could see it as soon as it was announced.

I have sympathy for them however. Our budget ( along with most teams tbf ) has been slashed year by year for the last 3 years. They aren't millionaires, they can't bankroll the club. We have paid off some really awful signings which has eaten into the budget even more. We simply didn't have the money to do a County or Motherwell, it could still not pay off for one of they 2 teams. I'd rather we sold McLean for much less than he was worth and get relegated than get into financial trouble. That paid for the mistake of appointing TC and the twindling crowds.

They are St Mirren men though, they didn't intentionally harm the club they love. They made a chunt of it and it has cost us big time . However we have done well to get top flight football 9 seasons in a row considering the way we were in the mid 90's and on a hardcore fan base of about 3000. I know other clubs have done better like ICT and StJohnstone ( Motherwell too but they have lost a shed load of money to achieve a handful of European ties and are now feeling the effect of cut backs ) but we outlasted quite a few teams over the years.

Most lower league teams would give their left bollock to achieve what we have in the last 9 seasons. Just a shame this relegation was self inflicted, who knows if we appointed someone different or kept DL on we might have been relegated anyway.

You described every club represented on P&B

I disagree. Fans of other clubs tend to give you grief for a week or two which is fine but this was happening for months afterwards. It seemed an unhealthy fascination for some of them.

Still; at least you're taking it well.

I have no idea why you thought a League Cup final appearance in 2010 had any relevance whatsoever to your clown-running-across-a-minefield display this season, which is kinda the topic of the thread. Other than that point of order, as you were with the sobbing and the fury.

You are either a wind up merchant, or genuinely thick as shite, possibly both.

Clearly, I have accepted our shiteness, our relegation, and knew it was coming for months. I have also clearly accepted the jibes of fellow top flight fans, indeed I highlighted why Dundee, Accies and Thistle fans were well within their rights to have a go. I then merely queried why Morton fans were suddenly becoming Billy Big Baws and putting the boot in, when, for the nine years we were a top flight club, Morton were piss-farting around in the lower leagues, achieving pretty much the square root of fcuk-all.

In those nine years, we, on the other hand, reached two cup finals, winning one, pumping ra' Sellik on the way.

Now, come back with something better than 'verge of tears' or 'not taking it well'. You must be able to do better than that. If not, just shut the fcuk up.

Mor10 vs Maureen threads will either be pay per view or watch through yer fingers stuff next season 8)

The only downside to helping put those cnuts back down to League 1 is that it avoids automatic relegation for those multiple administration cheats Livingston. Still, can't win em' all.

My first "away" game. I had a great day. Got a bridie. We didn't get those at Cappielow.

Genuinely no other memories of that match apart from Mark Pickering getting hit on the back from a keeper's kick out and someone (Mahood maybe?) getting injured

Here you go. Camera missed the second Accies goal. Delahunt looks about 12.

https://youtu.be/AJD76onRwGY

You are either a wind up merchant, or genuinely thick as shite, possibly both.

Clearly, I have accepted our shiteness, our relegation, and knew it was coming for months. I have also clearly accepted the jibes of fellow top flight fans, indeed I highlighted why Dundee, Accies and Thistle fans were well within their rights to have a go. I then merely queried why Morton fans were suddenly becoming Billy Big Baws and putting the boot in, when, for the nine years we were a top flight club, Morton were piss-farting around in the lower leagues, achieving pretty much the square root of fcuk-all.

And? Morton fans - or indeed, anyone else on P&B - don't actually need a 'right' granted by delicate little flowers like yourself to point and laugh at St Mirren having an abject campaign and getting relegated.

"Putting the boot in" indeed. :lol::bairn:bairn:bairn

You must be able to do better than that. If not, just shut the fcuk up.

Think I'll continue to point and laugh at your breakdown instead, thanks anyway.

And? Morton fans - or indeed, anyone else on P&B - don't actually need a 'right' granted by delicate little flowers like yourself to point and laugh at St Mirren having an abject campaign and getting relegated.

"Putting the boot in" indeed. :lol::bairn:bairn:bairn

Think I'll continue to point and laugh at your breakdown instead, thanks anyway.

I was right. It was 'both'.

Archived