St Mirren Relegation Express

Are you seriously suggesting there was no pressure from St Mirren fans last season to have Lennon removed as manager? :huh: His contract could quite easily have been renewed: that it wasn't was a result of running pressure from the fans against the manager throughout that season

well it's clear from the season that the board don't listen to the fans. So I'd say it's more down to our penny pinching as usual. I accepted long ago that we'd be relegated it's been a long time coming unfortunately there is no ambition from them want to sell a club which they can't sell and don't want to put any money into it. Also I was glad when Lennon left but more to do with his time was up wasn't really moving us in any direction. Club had ideal opportunity to kick on after a cup win. But as per st mirren done f**k all and got worse.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw someone on another thread describe St. Mirren as a jobby that just won't flush. That's a fairly accurate analogy. We've hung about the bottom of the division since we came up, hoping that someone will be worse than us. I don't think it's unreasonable for the fans to want to see some progress. I don't think Lennon was hounded out, but a lot of fans wanted a change.

Genuine question, would any other clubs have renewed the contract of someone with Lennon's record?

Exactly. Sportsound has a program where many involved were saying the board had to act on Danny after his shocking start to last season. We kept faith and he turned it around. But we signed many shocking players and (all?) were away by January. We were very lucky last year.

Lets not forget that even the cup winning team finished in what would have been a play-off with err Morton, Falkirk or Livi!

The board made a huge error by penny pinching and appointing Craig and players as coaches. Barmy move in all honesty and it has cost them a huge amount. Here's hoping it's taught them a lesson.

Not really understanding the schadenfreude directed at Saints to be honest.

Although there's still a long way to go, including two games each against Motherwell and County, I think that will be it for us. We're not conceding by shed load but we are barely creating any chances, let alone scoring them.

My fear isn't being relegated and not languishing for a few years, but instead sustaining back-to-back relegations. Given the general malaise around the club and the inevitable cost-cutting measures that will follow, I don't think this is as unrealistic a possibility as many people think.

Although there's still a long way to go, including two games each against Motherwell and County, I think that will be it for us. We're not conceding by shed load but we are barely creating any chances, let alone scoring them.

My fear isn't being relegated and not languishing for a few years, but instead sustaining back-to-back relegations. Given the general malaise around the club and the inevitable cost-cutting measures that will follow, I don't think this is as unrealistic a possibility as many people think.

Fraser your decent - unfortunately there's been quite a few wums on P&B over the years - and not just Lex!

As utterly doomed as Saints look, I won't believe it till its confirmed. They've defied the odds on too many occasions. If they survive and we sink then I'm going to level SMP. Super serial.

That's my worry as well. In recent seasons we've usually had a couple of guys who will dig in and show a bit of bottle in these situations. Guys like Broadfoot in our first season, or Murray. McLean was doing it for us this season before we flogged him, but now we have nothing. Our team is really quite spineless. We have no dig, bottle or leadership at all. That won't do in the Championship.

Plenty of teams have suffered back to back relegation when the bunch of shitebags that got them relegated in the first place turned out to be just as big a bunch of shitebags the season after.

That's my worry as well. In recent seasons we've usually had a couple of guys who will dig in and show a bit of bottle in these situations. Guys like Broadfoot in our first season, or Murray. McLean was doing it for us this season before we flogged him, but now we have nothing. Our team is really quite spineless. We have no dig, bottle or leadership at all. That won't do in the Championship.

Plenty of teams have suffered back to back relegation when the bunch of shitebags that got them relegated in the first place turned out to be just as big a bunch of shitebags the season after.

It's a poor squad, of that there is no doubt. It's kind of odd as I've been fairly envious of Saint's squad the previous two or three seasons. Always looked like the talent was there to push on, which, I guess is where the dissatisfaction with Lennon came from.

It's a poor squad, of that there is no doubt. It's kind of odd as I've been fairly envious of Saint's squad the previous two or three seasons. Always looked like the talent was there to push on, which, I guess is where the dissatisfaction with Lennon came from.

We've had some good players, but there have always been glaring issues that we have refused to resolve in almost all our teams over the last few years which has really held us back. Most recent example being our lack of any quality in defence, which has been an ongoing issue for a few seasons now, or the lack of any backup to Thommo. We were completely reliant on his goals again this season, and with him struggling for fitness and form we haven't been able to replace them. McLean was doing it for a while, so naturally we sold him.

We've also had loads of shite players, really, really shite players, which have been and gone having contributed nothing. They weren't all cheap either.

Without stating the obvious st mirren are shit but the teams around have had a jag in the arm where they have just stayed stagnated

Ross County: new manager upturn in results

Motherwell : new manager and added Scott Mcdonald = upturn in results

Thistle: always had the ability to pull clear if playing the way they can.

So it would be fair say you are f##ked haha

St Mirren getting rid of Lennon in itself was a reasonable move - and as I recall the fans were pretty much in favour. But the replacement was an absolute head-scratcher, an appointment bound to fail. Again, most St Mirren fans saw that coming long before it did.

The Gary Teal thing was just odd.

Was it Danny's second season when the media were slobbering over the 'sexy football' St Mirren were playing? I went to our first away match and at least a third of the match was played out among the keeper and the four defenders around the 18 yard line. My team were frustrating at that time, going backwards and sideways, but St Mirren were on another level of dull.

Danny got Cowden promoted by default - Livi's financial problems. He hasn't achieved anything really. He had few contacts in the game, unlike say Lomas and Wright, and our achievements need no mention. Despite all that, they always managed to do enough near the season end to survive.

This team looks more doomed than those previous St Mirren sides have.

My son'll miss the sausage roll and beans. Me too!

Still, a cup final (lost to 10 men), a cup win and a 4-0 win v Celtic are memories no one can take away.

One of fundamental problems (and we have many) is our complete lack of scouting. Basically all our signings are agent recommended. That's just recipe for disaster.

We've spunked money away on guys like Grainger, Marwood, Caldwell who perhaps did well in pre season against Arthurlie and Whitley Bay. Absolute joke.

It's things like this that make the BOD 100% culpable. They have cut everything to the bone, (matchday hosts being told to work for free, change of catering in hospitality from pros to student, cheapest option taken for strip and merchandise) in order to make the club look as cheap as possible to potential buyers.

They are disinterested, small minded and selfish. GTF.

(I'm away to the erskine bridge)

Mmm - what a lovely prospect.

Archived