Falkirk v Raith Rovers

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technical ability is pundit bullshit.

A driver has technical ability to drive a truck, it's a basic of any profession. If a player doesn't have 'technical ability' he should have no place on a football pitch.

Sorry, but that's a bit daft.

Are you really suggesting that there aren't degrees of technical ability across players?

People going a bit extreme on either side here. McKay is a technically good footballer who can beat players and commits men, but doesn't have an impact on games at the moment. He's not awful, he's not good.

A nice option to have but on form there's little doubt he should be on the bench. He's more eye catching and is usually much more involved than Conroy but his goal/assist record is pitiful in compassion. And I would wager his 'chances created' record too.

I think the frustration around him probably comes from Murray's adulation and insistence he plays every week, despite deserving neither. If he goes back to Rangers he'll be missed, we really needed competition in the wide areas and I wouldn't like to see us going back to having Scott and Stewart blundering about out there. If rangers do take him back it's important we replace him.

Have to say I'm surprised at the stick he's getting from the Rovers fans.

I obviously can't comments much on his performances over a long time with you guys, but I've seen him half a dozen times with Scotland youths. He was an absolute standout in some of those matches, several of which were against quality opposition. (Germany, Holland, Sweden, Switzerland, Romania & Armenia). Those were two or three years ago but he looked like a boy who could go on and become a top quality pro.

I guess he lost his way somewhere along the line.

Sorry, but that's a bit daft.Are you really suggesting that there aren't degrees of technical ability across players?

No, what I am saying is every player has technical ability, but like you state it's in varying degrees.

So to say a player has technical ability is as informative as saying he has 2 legs

No, what I am saying is every player has technical ability, but like you state it's in varying degrees.

So to say a player has technical ability is as informative as saying he has 2 legs

This would put him above the nations/world average.

I obviously can't comments much on his performances over a long time with you guys, but I've seen him half a dozen times with Scotland youths. He was an absolute standout in some of those matches, several of which were against quality opposition. (Germany, Holland, Sweden, Switzerland, Romania & Armenia). Those were two or three years ago but he looked like a boy who could go on and become a top quality pro.

We've had our fair share of good loanees from the 'top' Scottish clubs over the past few years - Goodwillie, Templeton, Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, Johnny Russell - and some some not so good ones, like Greg Cameron and Denis Prychynenko. Jamie Walker and Goodwillie were probably the most impressive in terms of ability, Johnny Russell it appears will go furthest in the game. All down to work ethic. Natural ability can only carry Scottish footballers so far, it seems.

He's not the kind of player who performs well in a losing team.

An entirely fair argument, and is a severe disadvantage of young Scottish talent playing for Rangers and Celtic youth sides. Winning at a canter for weeks on end doesn't develop players the way it should, which is why Rangers and Celtic very rarely bring through their own players - and when they do, they inevitably move on after a couple of years of sporadic appearances and slowly work their way down the leagues, like Ross Perry is currently doing.

I don't think he's lost his way as such, merely that he has a lot of ability but can't quite put it into the game as a whole. He is clearly a skillful player who is confident and capable of skinning opposition players, but is frustrating in a team such as ours. Beating two men and then losing the ball 4 times out of 5 gets pretty annoying after a while. It's probably also why he's on loan with us rather than playing every week for a misfiring Rangers side.

I actually had a discussion with a Rangers fan about McKay. He was telling me that a couple of years ago, McKay was seen as the big prospect whereas no-one really spoke much of Lewis MacLeod. Now, the reverse is probably true.

McKay has the raw talent to make it, but needs to channel his talent into end product. To use the cliché, he could do with a 'footballing brain'. Suppose he's only 20, right enough.

Hmmmm. Sounds like one those idiosyncratic things that gets your goat to be honest, rather than a particularly stupid phrase though.

If someone is described as having technical ability, it's fair to assume that the speaker wishes to imply that the player has more of the stuff than most.

Hmmmm. Sounds like one those idiosyncratic things that gets your goat to be honest, rather than a particularly stupid phrase though. If someone is described as having technical ability, it's fair to assume that the speaker wishes to imply that the player has more of the stuff than most.

Agreed. 'Technical ability' is common football phraseology to describe certain types of player, as opposed to, say for example the more physical 'stopper' types, just as some teams are known as 'footballing sides' - people know what is meant without thinking that other sides which have an emphasis on discipline and workrate rather than flare have no football ability. So to say that technical ability is pundit bullshit is er, bullshit. Of the smartass variety.

Archived