Berwick Rangers. Xmas report.

We are 6th at Christmas, and are scrapping with a number of poor teams for the last play off place. Happily, there is also a well earned cup run to keep us going.

The top 3 teams, who we would have expected to at least compete with, are almost out of sight and our team which was reportedly put together with the biggest budget ever, hasn't managed 2 consecutive league wins all season.

I think that's seriously crap, and on another thread someone asked for fans thoughts on what has gone wrong.

Well let's start with the keepers. Personally, I think both Andrews and Bald are mediocre at best - we've certainly had lots better in the past and there's a lot better than them in this division. So, that puts us behind most teams already.

Jacobs is a decent right back, but was dropped earlier in favour of Notman who is superb wherever he plays. At centre-back, Young has improved every week since his signing and Fairbairn and Tulloch are also a match for most centre backs at this level. Nothing wrong then with much of the defence.

Except at left back. Hoskins is a sound emergency centre-half but in my opinion wouldn't get in most other div 2 teams at left back. And yet we signed the excellent Drummond on loan but recently played him in midfield before bizarrely dropping him to the bench. An inexplicable decision for me.

In midfield, Notman and Lee Currie have recently done well but earlier, Notman was at right back and Currie was out of form. I think both are top players but the rest of midfield has been a huge disappointment. I don't believe Willis, Gold, DL, or Paul Currie would get in most other teams in this division. Maxwell has been injured too much and probably deserves another chance now but he doesn't fill me with optimism. The one player who I think could have supported Notman and Lee Currie is Miller - and he's been farmed out on loan.

Up front, I like Lavery Dargo and Gray. Fair play also to Russell's recent form, but having said that other teams tend to have more potent forward lines.

To sum up, we are weaker than other teams in goal, left back, midfield support and to some extent up front, but strong at centre-back and centre -mid and general creativity.

As for the manager - who I guess has now more or less hung up his boots - you have to question some poor signings and his decisions regarding hoskins/Drummond. At the same time he deserves praise for bringing in Young and to some extent Dargo. I think he will be judged again by the comings and hopefully also goings in January

Does anyone know the reason for Drummond being left on the bench, all reports I have read on him seem good. I know he was played out of position in previous games, but he is a defender and should be given a chance to play there. Has there been some kind of back room row ?

Good post, although I'm struggling to understand the love for Notman all the time. Don't get me wrong, he's a 6/7 out of 10 player nearly every week, but no more IMO. I personally thought him and Currie in the middle were poor together, he doesn't protect the defence much and rarely scores.

Tactically, we were a shambles on Saturday. Going one up top played in Arbroath's hands, and more worryingly, probably reflected the manager's concerns about the frailties of his team v good opposition.

We're 6th in the league because that's how good/poor we are. We don't deserve to be any higher. We've been incapable of stringing a run of league wins together. Our best players have been inconsistent and the manager keeps faith in guys who simply are'nt delivering. It's little wonder we're not threatening the play off places. I don't buy into all this talk of one of the biggest playing budgets ever at Shielfield (really? - what about Paul Smith's team that included Alex Burke, Gary Wood and Eddie Malone - they were'nt earning buttons), and even if it is higher than usual it does'nt follow that there's a direct correlation between earnings and performances. Look at amateurs Queens Park, who are having a stunning campaign so far. The problem i have with this team is you never know what kind of performance they're going to deliver. When Coff's team won the league, you knew what you'd get - hard graft, defensive solidity and 100% commitment from start to finish. I know we'll get that from handful of the current squad, but we carry too many passengers on a regular basis to kick on.

4/10 would be my half term assessment.

On the plus side, we're still in the cup and 4th spot remains within sight. But there is no disguising the fact that this has been a hugely disappointing season to date. We have the core of a good team - Jacobs, Young, Fairbairn, & Drummond take some beating for a back four, while Notman, L Currie Gray and Lavery provide a solid and occasionally inspiring platform going forward. But we need new faces in, guys who show the sort of commitment that Jacobs does every week. No question the likes of Willis and Gold have skill in abundance, but they don't make a consistent impact.

I think we'll beat Spartans in the cup, and there's no question that getting to the quarter finals would be a great achievement, but I'm struggling to see us getting into the playoffs unless the likes of Annan and East Fife stay as inconsistent as us.

We may beat Queens Park on Saturday, but there's every chance we could go up to Clyde a fortnight later and chuck the three points. And there lies the problem.

Dylan Easton has gone to Arbroath on loan.. Wonderful talent when he was with us... Would have loved him back on a loan. Arbroath still doing the business whilst at the top.. Cameron take note, one slipped away!

Who is he mate? Where does he play, where'd you hear this?

He's a player you probably have to build your midfield around as he was far better in behind the striker, but I'd heard St Johnstone wanted him on a wing. Could still be effective there but he's best in the centre of the park for me, quick feet, an eye for a pass and goal. Quite a few Rangers fans came on here wanting him signed after 2 impressive performances against them.

I'd be gutted about missing out on him, but I have romantic delusions that it's just because Colin & Robbie were busy chatting up a 'keeper who's capable of goalkeeping.

Archived