Top 3 Scottish League Club Names

Scotland is blessed with many poetically named clubs, but what are your favourites?

There's the romantic: Queen Of the South, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Heart Of Midlothian

The sublime: St Johnstone

The alliteratively appealing: Roath Ravers, Alloa Athletic, Annan Athletic

The basked in tradition: Hamilton Academical, Airdrieonians, Queens Park

The 'teams that are so embarrassed by the town that they come from that they'd rather associate themselves with the nicer bit along the road': East Fife, East Stirlingshire

The bizarre that we now take for granted: Stenhousemuir, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton

And the shite: when teams were deciding what second name to give themselves, be it Athletic, Albion, County, United, Rovers, City etc... Albion Rovers just didn't quite get it did they?!

There are some crackers outwith the big leagues: Gala Fairydean, Burntisland Shipyard and Ardrossan Winton Rovers for example, feel free to mention any.

My top 3 league club names:

1. St Johnstone. It has to be doesn't it?? It has historical relevance - St John's toon of Perth, and is a great name. Slight drawback is thickos from down south ask where St Johnstone is. Hopefully now Saints are a force in Europe St Johns toon has been firmly plotted on the map.

2. Inverness Caledonian Thistle. To be honest this should probably be number one if I could bring myself to be a bit more impartial. It's got it all: the town name, massive football historical significance by including the two teams merged to form this Highland giant, the poetic and patriotic, and it abbreviates down really well to 3 initials. It also sounds like a shit cold American drink if you say the 3 letters, but that's the only negative.

3. Queen Of the South. This would have been higher as it's a great name, but the story of how it got it's name is too much of a disappointment. Basically some stiff from the tourist board in the 1800's trying to promote the town, decided they'd call themselves the Queen Of the South. It's a bit like a kid going into school and telling his classmates his new nickname is going to be Shagger or Ace.

Heart of Midlothian just miss out but, let's be honest, nobody really calls them Heart Of Midlothian do they? It's Hearts to most of us. Plain old boring Hearts.

Your top 3 ??

I think Aberdeen is top. It's elegant without being too flowery. Also you know where they're from straight off the bat. For similar reasons, Dundee FC and Motherwell are a close 2nd and 3rd

Really? Pretty bland, like Arbroath is in a way, to be honest I'm happy we don't have Rovers or something after our name, keep it simple but there's a few cracking names like the ones that are mentioned by the OP. Queen of the South or Heart of Midlothian are probably my two favourites. In the non seniors there's some outstanding names aswell. Gala Fairydean Rovers, Easthouse Lily Miners Welfare to name a few.

In reverse order 3)'Inverness Caledonian Thistle' - for basically all the reasons you mentioned.

2)'Bon Accord' (The one from Aberdeen) - It has a poetic sound, as does pretty much all French but has a really cool story behind it too. It is of course the motto of The City of Aberdeen and it's said to have been a secret password, used by Robert The Bruce's forces in a campaign against the English. Also, any club that holds the record for biggest defeat, deserves a . sympathy vote 36-0 to Arbroath ffs :o

And finally

1) 'The Rangers International' - It's just so modern and cosmopolitan but then I suppose a club

should have a name that reflects the era of it's birth, right ;)

ETA:- Don't ask but I canny be arsed trying to fix it :o

Edited by Taza

In terms of juniors, Jeanfield Swifts.

In the same league as Burntisland Shipyard, there used to be/ possibly still is a side called Coaltown of Balgonie

When I was a boy I always liked seeing the result of Keith when they played in the early stages of the Scottish Cup. I had this image of one guy on his own taking on a team of soft southerners in a Hotshot Hamish stylee.

Most of these clubs aren't league clubs IMO

Anyway, the exhaustive list of clubs who have names (in no particular order)

Celtic

St Johnstone

Partick Thistle

Ross County

St Mirren

Hearts

Rangers

Hibernian

Queen of Sth

Raith Rovers

Airdrieonians

Queen's Park

Albion Rovers

East Fife

Clyde

East Stirling

Everyone else is just named after their town

Anyway, the exhaustive list of clubs who have names (in no particular order)

Celtic

St Johnstone

Partick Thistle

Ross County

St Mirren

Hearts

Rangers

Hibernian

Queen of Sth

Raith Rovers

Airdrieonians

Queen's Park

Albion Rovers

East Fife

Clyde

East Stirling

Everyone else is just named after their town

Airdrieonians and (in a circuitous manner!!) St Johnstone are also named after their town... Partick, Queen's Park and Raith are named after places within their city/town... Ross County, East Fife and East Stirlingshire are named after their county / or part thereof (and you could say the same thing about Heart of Midlothian although again by a roundabout route)... Clyde are named after the river running through their city.

Albion Rovers is a meaningless void of a name. It's like calling a club Athletic City, Thistle United or Town County.

Some personal favourites of mine are:

romantic-sounding ones like Clachnacuddin, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Hawick Royal Albert, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Banks o'Dee and Jeanfield Swifts

industrial-sounding ones like of Civil Service Strollers, Forres Mechanics, Burntisland Shipyard and Inverurie Loco Works

saintly ones like St Mirren, St Johnstone, St Anthony, St Roch, Banchory St Ternan, Nairn St Ninian, etc.

and a few notable blasts from the past

Jedburgh Artisans

Perseverance Arbroath

Our Boys Blairgowrie

Inverness Citadel

United Abstainers, Greenock Abstainers and Temperance Athletic

Champfleurie

all topped by the glorious

Sir John Maxwell FC

My top 3 -

3. Inverness Caledonian Thistle - They are always hospitable, and I enjoy getting a lift(yes, an actual elevator) to my pressbox seat. Their on-field team usually do their best to provide us with three points so the train journey south is usually always messy.

2, Buckie Thistle - They have the suffix of "Thistle". Their first name is popular amongst our younger(12-21) supporters.

1. Partick Thistle - The ultimate Thistle. Still paying homage to our origins when the easier option may have been to sell out. What a club.

League Clubs

1. Heart of Midlothian - named after the novel.

2. Deveronvale - just...beautiful.

3. Dalbeatie Star - no idea why as such, but just like the name.

Some personal favourites of mine are:

romantic-sounding ones like Clachnacuddin, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Hawick Royal Albert, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Banks o'Dee and Jeanfield Swifts

industrial-sounding ones like of Civil Service Strollers, Forres Mechanics, Burntisland Shipyard and Inverurie Loco Works

saintly ones like St Mirren, St Johnstone, St Anthony, St Roch, Banchory St Ternan, Nairn St Ninian, etc.

and a few notable blasts from the past

Jedburgh Artisans

Perseverance Arbroath

Our Boys Blairgowrie

Inverness Citadel

United Abstainers, Greenock Abstainers and Temperance Athletic

Champfleurie

all topped by the glorious

Sir John Maxwell FC

One of the best games I never saw would have been Perseverance Arbroath at the mighty Inverness Citadel. Epic!!