Top 20 Players in the SPL / Premiership

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprising lack of Di Canio or Van Hooijdonk ( sp)

Both were excellent players, from a time where Celtic were good to watch.

Di Canio was the closest to Lubo in terms of skill I have seen from a Celtic player, and I did consider him, but the fact he only played one season wasn't enough for me to include him.

Surprising lack of Di Canio or Van Hooijdonk ( sp)

Both were excellent players, from a time where Celtic were good to watch.

Both very good players but didn't get many nominations.

Extraordinarily difficult to pin this down to five so, like others, I've limited it to players I've seen 'live' and only then when they played for a top-flight Scottish team. Thus George Best is excluded. I saw him play for TFS at Hampden but never for Hibs. I've also excluded Baxter. He should probably be on the list but when I saw him in 1969 he was done.

OK so I'm showing both my age and my bias but I'll go with:

John Greig. Often derided as nothing but a hard man but could often show great vision and a wee bit of skill too.

Sandy Jardine. The full-back's full back. Professional, committed and just one classy player both for us and Hertz.

Richard Gough. Our 9IAR captain and it seemed some times he won games on his own and through sheer grit. Surprised none of the Arabs have mentioned him.

Brian Laudrup. Reasons have all been said above.

Kenny Dalglish. I had a wee scroll through and I am amazed Kenny hasn't been mentioned. Probably Scotland's most complete footballer?

Kenny Dalglish. I had a wee scroll through and I am amazed Kenny hasn't been mentioned. Probably Scotland's most complete footballer?

How many on here could say they've seen him play in person?

Extraordinarily difficult to pin this down to five so, like others, I've limited it to players I've seen 'live' and only then when they played for a top-flight Scottish team. Thus George Best is excluded. I saw him play for TFS at Hampden but never for Hibs. I've also excluded Baxter. He should probably be on the list but when I saw him in 1969 he was done.

OK so I'm showing both my age and my bias but I'll go with:

John Greig. Often derided as nothing but a hard man but could often show great vision and a wee bit of skill too.

Sandy Jardine. The full-back's full back. Professional, committed and just one classy player both for us and Hertz.

Richard Gough. Our 9IAR captain and it seemed some times he won games on his own and through sheer grit. Surprised none of the Arabs have mentioned him.

Brian Laudrup. Reasons have all been said above.

Didn't play in the SPL/SPFL.

If it's players that you've seen in the top flight in person then:

Craig Gordon - Fantastic keeper on his day. I've seen him pull off some terrific saves for Scotland over the past few years but injuries halted his rise to what I'm sure would have been no 1 for a top 4 club in England.

Kris Boyd - Stats say it all. Brilliant goalscorer.

Rudi Skacel - On his day he was one of the best players in the top flight in recent years.

Freddie Ljunberg (sp) - Not sure if he ever actually did anything for Celtic but he made an appearance against us at NDP therefore I'm sure he counts.

James McCarthy - Had to be done lol.

Pretty sure I've missed the point in this game, soz.

I know I said midnight is the cut off but It's now 8pm. I will do two write ups per night for the next few days. Except Xmas though.

Just in the middle of Craig Nelson's write up...

To be fair Addie did say top flight in his opening post, that gave the OAP`s free reign to nominate other OAP`s

It's cool. Not many old fuckers voted though.

Paul McStay

Club: Celtic

Nationality: Scottish (76 caps / 9 goals)

Position: Centre Midfield

_66673230_1466541.jpg

Paul McStay played for his one and only club Celtic from 1981 until he retired in 1997. He was club captain from 1990 and won three league titles, four Scottish Cups and one League Cup with the hoops making him a legend with the Parkhead faithful. He made his debut against a very strong Aberdeen side in 1982 and made an instant impact cutting through the defence and scoring past Jim Leighton. He scored in his Old Firm debut too, making him a firm favourite with the fans.

I remember McStay to be a good tackling midfielder who never scored much but when he did, they were excellent goal mainly from long range.

He wasn't the paciest of players though, but he made up for this in other ways; he was an excellent passer of the ball who had great vision for a link up of a one - two, or a through ball which allowed him to control the tempo of games as well.

Although he played for Celtic his entire career, he was linked with moves away in the early 90's which dominated the back pages of the papers but he soon signed a new contract and played on until 1997.

He now lives abroad but recently came back to Scotland to play in a charity match at Parkhead last September.

JS45719569.jpg

In a Scotland shirt he made 76 appearances and scored 9 goals. He scored his first (of two goals)in a dark blue shirt against Iceland (see below). McStay was part of the first Scotland side to qualify for the European Championships in 1992 and scored his last goal against the then Commonwealth of Independent States.

Overall he made 515 appearances for Celtic and scored 56 goals. He won young player of the year in 1983 and Player of the year (Players and Football Writers) in 1988.

He was inducted into the SFA Hall of Fame in 2010.

Well deserved place in the top 20. To be fair at his peak Arsenal and a few Italian teams were after him and he should have gone as he would have kicked on as a player. His game was well suited to the Italian style. Always wondered if deep down he wishes he's taken the plunge and gone for it.

Derek Riordan

Clubs: Hibs, Celtic, St Johnstone

Nationality: Scottish

Position: Forward

Derek-Riordan-Hibernian-Cooperative-Insu

Derek George Riordan signed for his boyhood heroes Hibs in 2000 and made his debut two years late against Hearts after manager Frank Suazee put him on a second half substitute. He nearly scored had it been from a great save from Antti Niemi. He went on loan to Cowdenbeath in 2003 and returned to the first team under Bobby Williamson and soon became a prolific striker, leading the team's score sheets for three consecutive seasons.

Derek Riordan soon caught the eye of various clubs, including Cardiff, Rangers, Lokomotiv Moscow and eventually Gordon Strachan's Celtic. Riordan signed a pre contract in 2006 with Celtic and joined them in the June for £170k (his contract was up in October that year). He made only 24 appearances for the hoops and scored 5 goals.

Here is one of his rare Celtic goals...

He soon fell out of favour with Gordon Strachan (and every pub in Edinburgh but that's a different story) and returned to Hibs in the No 01 shirt. He made 102 appearances for Hibs in his second spell and scored 36 goals.

After Hibs he had spells in China, Bristol Rovers and St Johnstone. He ended up in Alloa but injuries prevented him from making more than 2 appearances. He is now a free agent.

Riordan was considered to be one of the brightest talents in Scotland as he came through at Hibs but his career was marred by off field problems. He earned 3 caps for Scotland.

Kris Boyd

Club: Killie, Rangers

Nationality: Scottish (18 caps / 7 goals)

Kris-Boyd-001.jpg

Coming in at joint 20th in the vote is Kris Boyd. Kris is one of the most prolific goal scorers in the Scottish game but often criticized for his work rate by some sections of the Rangers support which may explain his joint 20th position despite being the all time leading SPL goalscorer.

He started at Killie in 2000 and made over 153 appearances and 67 goals until he left to join Rangers for £400k in 2006. It was reported that Boyd donated his signing on fee to Killie's Youth Development as a token of gratitude.

His time at Rangers was just as prolific; he made 143 appearances for Rangers and scored 101 goals. After spells away in Turkey, England and USA, he returned to Killie and was considered to single handily keep them up. Just as well - if Killie went down many felt they would never come back up.

Boyd has two League Titles, two Scottish Cups and one League Cup. He was also part fo the Europa League Final team in 2008.

Archived