The Battle Of Gayfield- 10th Jan

My work must be in a different Arbroath to everyone else as I didn't see a single snowflake this morning? and it faces the sea before anyone asks. It must have been a 5 minute blizzard during inspection!

I didn't see snow either. My gran did though, she never lies. :P

In all seriousness it would've been a farce if it had went ahead, AFC would've lost out to, we will only have 6/700 or so at the midweek game compared to what could've been a big crowd today for a big game.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the middle of town around 10.30 and there was a kind of snow/sleet lightly blowing. At times it was almost horizontal in the gusts of wind. Next thing the sun was out. Very unpredictable how it was going to turn out. Imagine the Rovers fans would have been raging if they had travelled and found the game postponed or abandoned. Probably the sensible decision with the travelling involved but debatable if it was the right decision.

Looking back at the last match thread against Rovers at home - there were plenty of comments of the nature 'ruined by the wind' so I hope these same people aren't the ones upset that the game hasn't went ahead.

The game would have been a farce today if it went ahead. The tree across from my house has a trunk with about a 3 foot diameter and it was fluttering like a golf pin.

Looking back at the last match thread against Rovers at home - there were plenty of comments of the nature 'ruined by the wind' so I hope these same people aren't the ones upset that the game hasn't went ahead.

The game would have been a farce today if it went ahead. The tree across from my house has a trunk with about a 3 foot diameter and it was fluttering like a golf pin.

I've been following the rovers for years and been to Gayfield many times with every visit more or less ruined by the wind. The game earlier in the season was ridiculous too with the wind. I'm sure we aren't the only team who mention the wind at your park as causing issues with the games. The game should have went ahead as the wind is always going to be a factor at your games due to where it's located.

I've been following the rovers for years and been to Gayfield many times with every visit more or less ruined by the wind. The game earlier in the season was ridiculous too with the wind. I'm sure we aren't the only team who mention the wind at your park as causing issues with the games. The game should have went ahead as the wind is always going to be a factor at your games due to where it's located.

Should have heard Chapman's interview after we beat Annan this season. Must have mentioned the weather 5 times in a 3 minute interview

The wind can spoil our games and tbh has been absolutely horrendous on occasions, but this season not been that bad.

Yes, we've bought a bit time to allow us to get over 3 or 4 injuries that has affected our defence. Imo, for the sake of the game, the right decision was made.

It's a good wee moaning point but nothing can be done with the wind. Teams just need to roll their socks up and get on with it. It's always been the case with this away trip. Does anyone know who called the game off? Was it a local referee or the actual ref who was assigned to the game?

It's a good wee moaning point but nothing can be done with the wind. Teams just need to roll their socks up and get on with it. It's always been the case with this away trip. Does anyone know who called the game off? Was it a local referee or the actual ref who was assigned to the game?

It's not always the case at Gayfield. The one earlier this season was but the last time we played you at Gayfield before that were the 6-1 and 6-2 games which from memory were played on lovely warm days, did you just try and erase them from your mind? :P

Last season I thought there was an horrendous amount of games that were farcical but it's usually just a couple a season. The wind factor at Gayf gets over exaggerated IMO. At times it's mental but most days it's exactly the same as any other ground in the country.

Playing full-strength Arbroath away in August: "Yes, it's Arbroath, it's windy. Deal with it."

Playing injury-plagued Arbroath away in a January 6-pointer: "Right decision to postpone the game. Too windy."

Archived