Drink you don't see anymore?

Grim O'Grady

Harp lager. Failte in town used to sell it, think that was the only place in Glasgow I remember seeing it. Wasn't the greatest of lagers.

Metz. Alcopop type shite.

Smithwicks. Drink it by the gallon when I am over visiting family in Ireland, a couple of pubs started selling it in Glasgow about two years ago, haven't seen it since.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harp lager. Failte in town used to sell it, think that was the only place in Glasgow I remember seeing it. Wasn't the greatest of lagers.

The pub in Stirling that is where the post office used to be sells it. They have a lot of identikit lagers there, Harp, IMO, being amongst the worst (there is a completely tasteless Japanese lager which takes the title of absolute worst), but they do sell it.

Guarana. It's a Brazilian fruit juice that used to be sold in corner shops and upmarket delis. Think I saw it in Waitrose once too, suddenly about two years ago it seemed to disappear.

That pub sold laughing brew and xxxx on draught.

Lowenbrau was pretty decent. Especially compared to Skol and Castlemain.

The older boys in the pub always say that Skol used to be great on tap years ago. Maybe one of the perks of having it brewed across the road from the pub back then. I don't why but it annoys me to think that Alloa used to have shitloads of breweries but we've only got one left now. At least it's a great brewery though.

Aldi used to sell it years ago as well but the fuckers stopped selling it. A delightful beverage.

The same goes for Lowenbräu it's one of my favourite beers but it's hard to find in Scotland nowadays. I stocked up on the stuff last year when I heard B & M where selling it but they've not had it in since then.

Not seen this in years as well: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1418854011.124658.jpg

You,get Lowenbrau in Asda, ordered it a few months back.

Just checked online and it's still in stock. Six packs only it seems £5.50.

Someone mentioned Skol, but it's in every supermarket and loads of shops like Spar.

Saw a fella buying 24 cans of Skol from the One O One when I was in today. He did look a bit like 8 Ace from Viz so I assume it was his evenings carryout.

post-16976-14188551119704_thumb.jpg

The pub in Stirling that is where the post office used to be sells it. They have a lot of identikit lagers there, Harp, IMO, being amongst the worst (there is a completely tasteless Japanese lager which takes the title of absolute worst), but they do sell it.

Guarana. It's a Brazilian fruit juice that used to be sold in corner shops and upmarket delis. Think I saw it in Waitrose once too, suddenly about two years ago it seemed to disappear.

Something tells me it won't be Stirling's best selling lager.

The only Harp I've seen recently is Nigerian Brewed Harp in The Comforter at top of Queen Street.

post-1545-14188561365824_thumb.jpg

They also do Nigerian Guiness too. Worth a try but seriously malty and packs a punch.

post-1545-14188561806354_thumb.jpg

Sanatogen Tonic Wine

Got a bottle out of a chemist's on Woodlands Road many moons ago...

Not seen draft Becks anywhere recently?

Trades in Dundee do draught Becks.

Also much missed:

Guinness Red

Smirnoff mule

Not missed:

Mudshakes. League cup final United v Rangers 2008 played on a Sunday. get train into Glasgow arriving at 9 am for a big swally to find not one fucking pub open. Jump in a taxi ask the boy to find us some alcohol and we get deposited at the barras where some boy flogs us out of date mudshakes for 5 quid a crate.

Russian roulette of taking a swig and if you got a congealed lump in it spitting out and chucking away. About 50/50 ratio of good to off bottles.

The only Harp I've seen recently is Nigerian Brewed Harp in The Comforter at top of Queen Street.

attachicon.gif1418856135094.jpg

They also do Nigerian Guiness too. Worth a try but seriously malty and packs a punch.

attachicon.gif1418856178457.jpg

Just Googled it, Nigerian Harp is made by the same company as Irish Harp.

And a 6% Guinness. I like Guinness, but I can be funny with it, very seldom drink it in Scotland as I find it hard to find a pub here that does a really good pint of it. The Vale is probably the best, but I am very seldom drinking in that part of town these days.

Also much missed:

Guinness Red

Smirnoff mule

Not missed:

Mudshakes. League cup final United v Rangers 2008 played on a Sunday. get train into Glasgow arriving at 9 am for a big swally to find not one fucking pub open. Jump in a taxi ask the boy to find us some alcohol and we get deposited at the barras where some boy flogs us out of date mudshakes for 5 quid a crate.

Russian roulette of taking a swig and if you got a congealed lump in it spitting out and chucking away. About 50/50 ratio of good to off bottles.

Drum and Monkey in Glasgow had that on tap last time I was in.

Also much missed:

Guinness Red

Smirnoff mule

Not missed:

What time did you imagine pubs opened on.a Sunday?!

You,get Lowenbrau in Asda, ordered it a few months back.

Just checked online and it's still in stock. Six packs only it seems £5.50.

Cheers. I think we've already had this conversation a few months back on the petty things which get on your nerves thread. I'll need to get my arse into gear and buy some.

Archived