Christmas & New Year friendlies

This year the EOS League takes its common 2-week break over the festive period. However, no doubt lots of clubs will then end-up arranging a variety of friendlies, to keep themselves sharp for the resumption in January.

Here are a couple I've noticed so far:

http://www.leithathleticfc.com/index.php/news/613-leith-athletic-fc-3-1-civil-ss-fc-13-12-14/

Saturday 27th December

Leith Athletic v Forest Hall YPC

Sunday 4th January

Leith Athletic v Musselburgh Athletic

Others?

I presume he means the clubs, for playing friendlies. It would be interesting to see the correspondence between dropping everything for 2 or 3 weeks, versus maintaining some form of training and/or games, and success come the end of the season. I suspect there is a correlation.

Someone on the Lowland sub-forum says that Leith host Preston Athletic apparently at 7:30pm tomorrow, although I haven't seen that substantiated anywhere.

EDIT: Another one - Civil Service playing Whitburn at Spartans, Sunday 4th January.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football_document_libraries.cfm?page=2061

our last game was the 6th Dec. Game called off on the 13th and no ties scheduled by LEAFA for the 20th. I'd've preferred a game on the 20th (weather permitting) then maybe not such as need for the friendly on Sun.

Will be a good chance for our lads to blow the cobwebs off and test ourselves against Craigie EOS, even if half the team will still be under the influence!!!

It's sometimes better to get a break from it, players can always play the odd game of fives or the gym to keep there sharpness, I understand if it was professional but not the EOS...

It's interesting to compare with other leagues though...

SPFL - play right through.

Highland - play right through.

Lowland - play right through.

South of Scotland - one week off (Saturday 27th).

West Juniors - play right through.

East Juniors - both weekends optional (13 games scheduled)

North Juniors - both weekends optional (5 games scheduled).

East of Scotland is the only league of the 8 not playing at all.

That's true but the majority of those leagues are a higher standard and get paid more, Mayby if the players got paid more they would play during these times? But a lot of players go AWOL until the second week in Jamuary... Sometimes later!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived