Dads Army Remake - WTF?

DAFC

Dad's Army (2015)[edit]

220px-Michael_Gambon_as_Private_Godfrey_

Michael Gambon as Private Godfrey on the set of Dad's Army in October 2014. Filming took place on the beach at North Landing, Flamborough Head, Yorkshire, and at nearby Bridlington.

Main article: Dad's Army (2015 film)

In April 2014, it was reported that a new film was planned, having been under consideration for a long time, to be written by Hamish McColl and directed by Oliver Parker. The film would feature Toby Jones as Captain Mainwaring and Bill Nighy as Sergeant Wilson.[18]

In October 2014 Jones and Nighy were confirmed, along with Tom Courtenay as Lance Corporal Jones, Michael Gambon as Private Godfrey, Blake Harrison as Private Pike, Daniel Mays as Private Walker and Bill Paterson as Private Frazer. The cast will also include Catherine Zeta-Jones, Sarah Lancashire and Mark Gatiss. Filming began that month on location in Yorkshire.[19]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dad's Army (2015)[edit]

220px-Michael_Gambon_as_Private_Godfrey_
Michael Gambon as Private Godfrey on the set of Dad's Army in October 2014. Filming took place on the beach at North Landing, Flamborough Head, Yorkshire, and at nearby Bridlington.
Main article: Dad's Army (2015 film)

In April 2014, it was reported that a new film was planned, having been under consideration for a long time, to be written by Hamish McColl and directed by Oliver Parker. The film would feature Toby Jones as Captain Mainwaring and Bill Nighy as Sergeant Wilson.[18]

In October 2014 Jones and Nighy were confirmed, along with Tom Courtenay as Lance Corporal Jones, Michael Gambon as Private Godfrey, Blake Harrison as Private Pike, Daniel Mays as Private Walker and Bill Paterson as Private Frazer. The cast will also include Catherine Zeta-Jones, Sarah Lancashire and Mark Gatiss. Filming began that month on location in Yorkshire.[19]

In before the Sarge.

Do you think that's wise?

Remakes are always poor and never a patch on the original.

There are many remakes that are better than the originals. Don't talk mince.

In this case, it would be hard to be worse than the original. That said, this will probably be at least as bad, It'll be schmaltzy shite aimed at morons. The Keeping Up Appearances / Only Fools and Horses fanbase.

Name them then.

Oh come on, there's a bunch you'll have seen. This is pub argument fodder.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - both the excellent 1979 one with Donald Sutherland, and the 90s Abel Ferrarra effort both piss all over the McCarthyesque original.

The Fly - the 80s Jeff Goldblum one is a million times better.

Scarface - Al Pacino's version is better.

The Thing - obviously

Ocean's 11 - I don't even like it that much, but I've seen the original, and it's appalling.

It probably doesn't count (some bollocks term like "re-imagining", but I prefer the new Star Trek too.

Anyway, those are off the top of my head, there's likely loads more.

I'm not arguing with the anti army crowd. As for the new one, I'll try to give it a chance. I would have picked David Jason as Godfrey maybe.

I'm not anti-army. Just anti-crap.

The reason I hate drivel like Keeping Up Appearances isn't because I'm anti-housewife. Engage your brain.

Archived