Who are the Junior managers "in frame" for Ayr Utd job?

cartwright

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The junior grade is lower in quality than all senior divisions. Fact.

And I include my own team in that.....and we are the most successful ever.

There is no argument.

Think there's a wee bit of overlap in quality with the top half a dozen or so superleague clubs, but not as much as there used to be and overall the superleagues are definitely a step down from the SPFL in quality but not necessarily in entertainment value.

Talbot are the biggest club in the juniors for me and Ayr United are a relatively small senior team but lets not kid ourselves on here in the difference in levels.

Yes talbot could maybe take care of them in a one off Scottish cup tie but Ayr United are a far bigger club and attraction than talbot in terms of catchment area and potential to better themselves for me .

One example is probably that when talbot get to the junior cup final they can attract about 6,000 fans and if Ayr United get to a league cup / Scottish cup final then they're hitting between 20,000 to 30,000 people.

Talbot are the biggest club in the juniors for me and Ayr United are a relatively small senior team but lets not kid ourselves on here in the difference in levels.

Yes talbot could maybe take care of them in a one off Scottish cup tie but Ayr United are a far bigger club and attraction than talbot in terms of catchment area and potential to better themselves for me .

One example is probably that when talbot get to the junior cup final they can attract about 6,000 fans and if Ayr United get to a league cup / Scottish cup final then they're hitting between 20,000 to 30,000 people.

Not often I agree with you but this is spot on. Anyone who thinks Talbot even operate in the same stratosphere as Ayr United is clearly delusional

^It is a bit of an illusion in a way though - there are plenty of Superleague players who could easily hold their own in the two lower senior leagues.

However playing junior is a lot more attractive to those who can't or won't travel across the country midweek. I imagine the wages aren't too dissimilar as well.

The awful Junior record against senior opposition in the big cup might suggest otherwise though.

^It is a bit of an illusion in a way though - there are plenty of Superleague players who could easily hold their own in the two lower senior leagues.

However playing junior is a lot more attractive to those who can't or won't travel across the country midweek. I imagine the wages aren't too dissimilar as well.

The awful Junior record against senior opposition in the big cup might suggest otherwise though.

Yeah there's one or two players per squad (if your lucky) who could cut it in league one. That still leaves over 90% of junior players not good enough to make the grade. On a cold wet Scottish Cup 3rd round day at a rainy Beechwood, if 11 Talbot players have they game of their lives, they might beat Ayr United. But to suggest there's anything less than a huge gap between them is foolish.

I went to see Ayr recently and by f**k they are pish. Even Beith would beat them.

Killie can't even attract 20,000 and they are far better than Ayr.

Delusion is a terrible thing

I went to see Barcelona in the nou camp in 2007 against ossasuna and they happened to be quite pish that day too snaw heid so it can happen to any team at any given level.

If you stopped being a simpleton and dropped your hatred for Ayr United then you would find that if they got to a Scottish cup final then they could take between 20,000 to 30,000 fans without a doubt such is their catchment area for a one off game .

I'm sure they played rangers in the CIS cup final at hampden in the early 2000s when they had James Grady and Eddie annand up front and they broke the 20,000 barrier very easily .

The big Scottish Cup is a lovely diversion for the top Junior clubs and has produced some satisfying results. However, I tend to think it has disproven the opinion that some Junior teams could compete at a higher level. Whereas cup football is notorious for producing great performances from underdogs s, there have also been some poor results by the juniors too, as one thread here has proven in the past.

It's all ifs and buts I know, but if we want to compare Talbot and Ayr Utd at this moment, then Ayr are the bigger club. Bigger fanbase, full time manager and players, better class facilities, more potential for income etc.

RRG actually has it right. Mark Shankland is only a young lad but he struggled at Ayr. At Auchinleck I firmly believe he will be a sensation when he starts getting a regular place. This will give him a springboard to the senior leagues again.

It's a bit like what happens with Celtic in the Champions League. If almost every week you play inferior opposition there's no way you can expect to compete on the big stage. Having said that if Talbot were to compete in that League every week then, given their set up off the park in terms of organisational skills, they would gain a foothold and begin to make headway.

But that opens up the pyramid debate................so forget it!

A hope sloan does get the Ayr job to shut you talbot muppets up! Who the f**k do you think you are? Get a grip of yourselves. I would love to see what the lot of you would do when the winning stopped, Would you support your club when lugar pump them 5-0? Ayr united are a bigger club than the talbot and its a step up. Cut ur pish and get real!!!!

. I remember Talbot in the seventies and early eighties,and I would also go to Ayr Utd matches at that time,when Talbot fixtures permitted. These days, I watch Talbot home and away and if,like recently,fixtures get cocked up, I prefer to watch hastily arranged friendly matches involving Talbot rather than head to Somerset. The most recent one, against Renfrew, featured our latest acquisition from Ayr Utd.Mark Shankland. He scored a lovely hat trick but hasn't featured in a competitive game since. Craig McCracken,currently on loan from Ayr Utd looks lika player that can be relied upon anywhere across the middle of the pitch,or in the middle of defence,but again I only managed to get a look at him due to a serious injury to Steven White. The only other point of reference between our two sides is the boy Pope,who walked into our starting line up,displacing a boy who,for me, is one of the best running full backs in junior football. Gordon has definitely come back to us a better player,and I put this down to being up against more challenging opposition every week. Ayr are most certainly a bigger club than Talbot,and I hope Mr Sloan doesn't go to you as manager,because as unpalatable as some of us Talbot 'muppets' are to you, quite a few Ayr fans would be insufferable if their team were ever to start winning.

I don't have a hatred for Ayr and I like being a simpleton. These are facts. Ayr are a terrible team who attract gates well under a thousand. Most top junior teams would beat them. Scottish football is in a terrible state with Alloa capable of beating Rangers. These are also facts and if you stop smoking the wacky bacci then you might begin to realise this.

That's all very well bud,but have you thought of the damage to Talbot's reputation if the word gets out that one of their fans is a simpleton? :huh:

That's all very well bud,but have you thought of the damage to Talbot's reputation if the word gets out that one of their fans is a simpleton? :huh:

When he said that I knew it wasn't Ramit. He thought "simpleton" was a wee village just outside Troon.

I don't have a hatred for Ayr and I like being a simpleton. These are facts. Ayr are a terrible team who attract gates well under a thousand. Most top junior teams would beat them. Scottish football is in a terrible state with Alloa capable of beating Rangers. These are also facts and if you stop smoking the wacky bacci then you might begin to realise this.

I tend to disagree - surely a team of young Scottish players playing well and defeating the second most expensive squad in the country is a good thing!

Archived