Tonev - Racist Scum

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is so difficult here for Celtic fans to understand?

Im genuinely baffled.

My problem with it is that i'm not comfortable branding the guy a racist on the evidence in this case.

In football terms thats one of the worst you can be labeled. In the past players have been accused of being a junkie, rapist, wife beater etc and racist is up there and it just doesn't sit well with me to ruin a guys career based on his word against another

My problem with it is that i'm not comfortable branding the guy a racist on the evidence in this case.

In football terms thats one of the worst you can be labeled. In the past players have been accused of being a junkie, rapist, wife beater etc and racist is up there and it just doesn't sit well with me to ruin a guys career based on his word against another

So you, like so many other Celtic fans, are inferring that Logan played the race card? Classy.

Where did i say that? I gave my own opinion as to why i had a problem with the verdict,

Well if you're unwilling or "uncomfortable" in accepting the verdict then surely it stands to reason that you don't believe it happened, ergo Logan is lying.

The more Celtic keep whining about it the more it's going to damage his career. A swift apology would have left it more or less dead and buried by now.

The evidence was tested in the tribunal and appeal, and, as has been stated here many times already, the evidence given by Logan was found to be more credible than that of Tonev. The reasons for this were laid out in the judgement, the full text of which has been linked to in this thread. l

Quick question, how many Celtic posters on here were at the Aberdeen game at Pittodrie? Did any of you boo Logan?

I'd argue that (although not explicitly racist in itself) the behaviour of the Celtic fans who gave him dogs abuse was an example of the attitude which surrounds the untouchable nature of this club and the supporters of said club.

"How dare you implicate one of us in a race row?! How dare you!"

Even with, as you say, no evidence the mere thought that someone would step out of line against your club is so shocking to you that you simply cannot believe it. And so you abuse the fella, refusing to believe his side of the story. And when the story is brought up in a hearing (not a criminal hearing but a sports association hearing) and one side's story is less plausible than the other's, you still refuse to believe it! It smacks of the sort of behaviour which gives rise to much of the hatred in Scottish Football. An arrogance which is seemingly infallible despite the constant calling into question of your players', and more frequently fans', conduct.

Its what sets you aside from us. An Aberdeen player does wrong, I'll condemn him. An Aberdeen fan does wrong, I'll condemn him. I'll allow a greater degree of leeway, no doubt about it, but if a line is crossed then action is needed. Celtic (and The Rangers) fans are blinded by their team.

Everyone has a right to defense though. And at least they offered an avenue of support and education for the player. I'm merely stating that outside of the punishment you should look to make the situation better in future. I don't think crucifying someone is the best method, he should be allowed to make amends as should any player. Is that at least not somewhat fair?

I'm not defending him, just think the aftermath can be dealt with more appropriately.

He had a right to a defence, before the case was determined, decisively, after a tear-stained appeal, and proved that he was a racist scumbag. Celtic have now had three opportunities to make a statement distancing themselves from Tonev - twice after he was found guilty - and have refused to do so. That isn't a spirited defence of their employee: that's wagon-circling around a racist scumbag.

Hence their tear-stained threats to take the case to CAS, which has absolutely nothing to do with clearing the player and everything to do with feeding their fans' victim mentality.

Archived