Rovers V Mo

Well today's game may just have knocked the Motherwell v Gothenburg friendly, circa 1999, off top spot as the worst game of football I've ever paid to watch.

That was chronic.

Still, Owens Bar is a decent pub and I enjoyed my pre-match pints in there.

The post-match pint in the Forge Inn, not so much...

Travis played at centre-half, and despite being one of the main beneficiaries of the ref's leniency he was one of the best players on the park. That's not a compliment, such was the standard of football today.

It was a very frustrating match to watch- both teams were moving forward but wasting chance after chance- not with shots off-target but more often with petty fouls and offsides.

I understand when a team plays well and the manager doesn't change a winning side, but the team didn't play well at Broadwood- they scraped a win against a poor Clyde side and something had to change. I think some smart switches could have changed the result.

After three bad games together, Fisher and Davidson in holding midfield would get the boot for starters. On top of being inconsistent and unfit, John Gemmell is easy for any competent back four to defend against. The Rovers front line needs a mix-up from time to time, and replacing John with Mark McGuigan is a pointless endeavour- I'd recall a loanee. Lastly, Josh Mullin has shown signs of promise but he belongs nowhere near the left side of the park- least of all the number 3 shirt.

My team might look something like this:

Parry

Reid Dunlop Dunlop Phillips

Pollock Donnelly

Cusack Chaplain McKenzie

Dallas

and I think they'd have won the game.

The personnel selection isn't the only thing to blame, though- for a team that should have its eyes set on big things our side looked seriously unmotivated and lacked any kind of winning attitude or team spirit, even with the vocal, and very persistent young support (once they had finished their selection boxes.)

So not many positives to take from that one, claiming that "we're getting the poor performances out of the system". Even the clean sheet isn't anything to shout about because, like us, Montrose looked like they could have played all night and failed to score. I want this Rovers side to become league champions this season but with flat performances like that they don't deserve it.

Piss poor performance. Too many passengers in the team, Gary Phillips the main suspect, he's been garbage all season yet appears to be guaranteed a starting place. Josh Mullin isn't a left back and fair play to him for plugging away in that position but he's also been garbage, lumps the ball anywhere. Ross Davidson's times up now, he gives the ball to the opposition players more than he does our players. Thought fisher put himself about today and was constantly trying to get things going but players around him weren't into it. Long ball crap all day which Montrose mopped it up all day and we made easier for them bringing on our 5ft0 players pollock and Mckenzie and tried the same...crap from our management! Montrose no6 strolled through the game and was my MOTM. Looks a good player.

On top of being inconsistent and unfit, John Gemmell is easy for any competent back four to defend against.

If you think he's unfit now, wait to see what he's like after the festive period...........or were you hoping he'd shed a few lbs?

Can't really argue against any of the comments made by the Vers fans on here. That was woeful. The team have been getting away with some ropey performances over the last few weeks, but this was something else. Where's the midfield gone? Where are the goals going to come from? The defence is sound - although Turnbull is much missed.

Mo ran their knackers off and deserved their point, although they could still be playing now amongst themselves and still not scored.

All things considered, a point for the Vers with only 10 men isn't THAT bad. The Invisible Man was conspicuous by his absence. Again. How does he get a start every week? :blink:

It was a bad game but our title hopes aren't over, and I certainly wouldn't say that Arbroath are home and dry- they'll slip up along the way too, and unlike us their squad will actually be weakened when their loanees leave.

This kind of result does, however, put big pressure on the remaining games against the top two. Four wins needed.

That game gave the lie to our title pretensions. Arbroath are home and dry. Queens and ourselves should be safe for play-off places but we're not fit for the division above.

Far too early for that but Arbroath do have an advantage in having the league's top two scorers which is the difference between all 3 teams at the moment. But they were 8 ahead and had it pulled back to 3. It's never over 'till the fat ref blows his whistle ;)

It was a bad game but our title hopes aren't over, and I certainly wouldn't say that Arbroath are home and dry- they'll slip up along the way too, and unlike us their squad will actually be weakened when their loanees leave.

This kind of result does, however, put big pressure on the remaining games against the top two. Four wins needed.

I don't think we will lose any more loanees and Moores already said he's strengthening in January...

Archived