Roberts Sacked

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calderwoods stats are impressive, did very well at Dunfermline getting them promoted and taking them to fourth in the SPL. Did a good job at Aberdeen taking them to the last 16 in Europe. Even at Kilmarnock he kept them up when they looked doomed, at Ross County he only lost 4 games out of 17. Recently he has been managing in Holland again, quite successfully, he is by far the most qualified for the Ayr job.

On the question of bullying you are only hearing one side of the story and he won't be the first manager who didn't understand depression and quite frankly no club with players on very short contacts and little resource could manage depression well, they just don't have the time and patience.

I for one would warmly welcome his appointment however I suspect Lachlan will look for a cheaper option!

We've already had a post from a Dunfermline fan in this thread explaining the mess that Calderwood left them in, and his excessive expenditure at Aberdeen has been widely reported. When Calderwood took over at Killie, they were 7 points away from the top 6 and he said himself when he was appointed that the aim was to finish in the top 6 (source). In the end they avoided finishing bottom on the last day and didn't have to worry about a playoff. As far as his time at Ross County goes, I refer you to this post from the user bunglebonce, who is possibly the most insightful analyser of Scottish football around. His most recent job in the Netherlands lasted less than a month, which is hardly something to get excited about.

O'Leary's depression had nothing to do with Calderwood's treatment of him, given that Calderwood himself had no knowledge of O'Leary's condition. The point is that he thought it acceptable to treat any human being that way, never mind a teenager living away from home for the first time. If you don't want to believe O'Leary, fine, there's nothing I can do about it. The interview was widely circulated and Calderwood had ample opportunity to call bullshit on the claims, which I imagine he would've been keen to do if they weren't true given the light it painted him in. To be honest I'm struggling to understand why anyone would think that the incidents O'Leary mentioned were fabricated, because they're so obviously not. An 'if you don't know, I can't tell you' situation.

Sorry but which of our former managers went on to make a living from the game? Brian Reid got a couple of jobs but has he ever really proven himself as a manager. Calderwood might have had some extra cash at Aberdeen compared to the others but certainly not at Dunfermline. Getting league , cup and european success is no mean feat. If you think Calderwood was shit it's still an entirely different level of shit to what we've had to endure. In those days transfer fees were common and everybody at that level bought players. Nowadays hardly anyone pays transfer fees although the system is the same in that those with the most money get the better players as they pay better wages. For the second division he might be well suited as you've already agreed Ayr have a bit of cash for this level. Again I'm struggling to think of many out of work players or managers from a higher level that a small team has refused and written off because they wouldn't be able to cope.

Depression ranges from those that are very ill and can't cope day to day whilst there are others who can't be bothered going into work. To write off someone with a long term track record in the game on the basis of a newspaper article without even hearing the other side of the story is laughable.

You're shifting the goalposts. You said that none of our previous managers went on to get other jobs as managers, which isn't true. In any case, who gives a f**k about these semantics? Several of our previous managers were shite, and Calderwood is shite too. He's just been shite at a higher level than they have. We don't have specific evidence that he's an outright better manager than say Brian Reid, because Reid has never been given the opportunity to work in a similar role to the only ones that Calderwood ever succeeded in. There is nothing in Jimmy Calderwood's past which suggests that he would be capable of dragging Ayr away from a relegation battle.

A Dunfermline fan on this very thread has disputed your claim that Calderwood didn't spend a lot there, and I'm much more inclined to believe him on that than you.

I've already covered the point about O'Leary above, so I won't do it again. I'm writing Calderwood off because he is not a good manager and, despite there being pretty slim pickings in terms of available managers at the moment, we can do better than him. The stuff with O'Leary is merely more evidence of how much of a cock he is, and we should be phasing managers with those type of 'old school' techniques out of the modern game.

Calderwood spent money the board were happy to give him, the board are more to blame than him......

Barr gave Daziel a fortune which he spent on good players that he couldn't coordinate into a title challenging team, you can't blame Daziel for paying 40k for Mickey Reynolds or 70k for Mark Campbell though, it was Barr who allowed him to

It looks like Calderwood was given money to spend and did reasonably well with it, if the club couldn't afford it then its not his fault

Please not Brian Reid again, we've been there before and it didn't work, time for someone with a proven track record.

Another.....that type that can bring a visible change for the better in the first 2-3 weeks and not the reverse like we had under Roberts

Not the same Brian Reid, I think he's the best manager we have had since McLeod and took us as far as he could with what he had, He may have been more successful with more money and full time players than Roberts was.....but I don't think either he or the club would be up for it.

After watching the post match interviews it shows what a shambles the club is, Aitken has been flashing a bit of thigh to Cameron in the media and the club haven't even asked if he would be interested.

And Millen hasn't been spoken too from anyone at the club since the night Roberts was sacked

It may be the Christmas holidays and he might be on the other side of the Atlantic, but if he's going to pay that little attention to the club its time he hired someone to run the club locally

After watching the post match interviews it shows what a shambles the club is, Aitken has been flashing a bit of thigh to Cameron in the media and the club haven't even asked if he would be interested.

And Millen hasn't been spoken too from anyone at the club since the night Roberts was sacked

It may be the Christmas holidays and he might be on the other side of the Atlantic, but if he's going to pay that little attention to the club its time he hired someone to run the club locally

Completely agree. Going by Aitken comments he would take it or at very least give it serious consideration.

And here is the real problem at the club as no one was speaking to Marko either. We need club management as much as we need team management.

Big Reidy would be preferable to what we will get

He was sitting behind me at the game on Saturday, and some boy asked him about it. He said he hadn't applied. I'm not really sure why he was there though? Maybe he's going to be the Stinlar manager once we take Aitken....

Not my reading of it. He was just being professional and diplomatic

That would be my take on it too.

It would take a lot of work for Ayr to become the club he talks about.

I think he will at least see the season out at Stair Park.

The club runs itself on a day-to-day basis, remember? Our current predicament is entirely due to that level of complacency imo.

Archived