Roberts Sacked

Aye, McGlynn's teams are never great to watch, but we're not in a position to be picky at the moment. We should be taking a short-termist approach and looking at who can keep us in the division, and being tasked with shitfesting your way out of trouble seems like a role tailor-made for McGlynn. How we proceed for next season is an entirely different matter.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only managerial success Calderwood has ever achieved was at Dunfermline and Aberdeen, where, as pointed out above, he spent his way to it. He's been shite everywhere else, so no, his track record doesn't suggest that he's anything even close to light years ahead of our most recent managers.

Did you read about his actions in that thread I linked above? He singled out a teenager and bullied him, and then continued it onto a new club. That is the level of the guy and anyone who considers that to be acceptable behaviour should not be involved in football at all.

Why are you even talking about winning things when making a comparison? Our previous managers haven't even been deemed good enough to get another job at manager level hence why he is way ahead of them. When you have the old firm in your league how can you also say it's only money that's helped him achieve anything and in comparative terms do we not have a bit of money for our level? Before taking the word of someone with obvious issues and also a disliking of Calderwood would it not be an idea to hear the other side of the story before forming an opinion?

I don't think we need someone to come in and 'shitfest' it. Having seen the league leaders today, the standard of the league is not particularly great. I'd say a good couple of signings - say like Airdrie's signings of Prunty and the young lad from Dundee Utd on loan could turn your losses into wins. We need someone who can do a bit of wheelin' and dealin' and sort out the dross Marko has signed and bring in some decent replacements. I feel a lot of our players are beyond shitfesting it and being organised. We need someone who can build a team in January IMHO :lol:

Why are you even talking about winning things when making a comparison? Our previous managers haven't even been deemed good enough to get another job at manager level hence why he is way ahead of them. When you have the old firm in your league how can you also say it's only money that's helped him achieve anything and in comparative terms do we not have a bit of money for our level? Before taking the word of someone with obvious issues and also a disliking of Calderwood would it not be an idea to hear the other side of the story before forming an opinion?

I didn't say anything about winning things. I said 'success', which is of course relative. Jimmy Calderwood experienced success at Dunfermline and Aberdeen because he was given more money to spend than his competitors were. This does not make him a good manager. Several of our previous managers did go on to get further management jobs so you've struck out with that one, but I wasn't arguing that Calderwood doesn't operate at a higher level than them in any case. My point is that he only does so because he bought his way to success with a couple of teams several years ago and is still living off of that despite being shite ever since. Any semi-competent manager can spend their way to success if afforded the opportunity, and Calderwood has never shown himself to be anything above that.

No idea what point you're trying to make with the Old Firm bit.

We do have a bit more money available than other clubs at this level, but we're not in a position to go out and buy players, which is Calderwood's modus operandi. Our current situation is much more comparable to that of Killie and Ross County before Calderwood took over than it is to Dunfermline or Aberdeen, and you'll struggle to find a sensible fan of either team who has anything positive to say about him.

Obvious issues? What exactly do you think depression is? It's not like O'Leary was saying that Calderwood was vaguely mean to him; he gave several specific examples of Calderwood's behaviour. Do you honestly believe they're fabricated, given that media-whore Calderwood made no effort to deny the claims as well as the fact that they're quite blatantly true?

Calderwoods stats are impressive, did very well at Dunfermline getting them promoted and taking them to fourth in the SPL. Did a good job at Aberdeen taking them to the last 16 in Europe. Even at Kilmarnock he kept them up when they looked doomed, at Ross County he only lost 4 games out of 17. Recently he has been managing in Holland again, quite successfully, he is by far the most qualified for the Ayr job.

On the question of bullying you are only hearing one side of the story and he won't be the first manager who didn't understand depression and quite frankly no club with players on very short contacts and little resource could manage depression well, they just don't have the time and patience.

I for one would warmly welcome his appointment however I suspect Lachlan will look for a cheaper option!

Calderwoods stats are impressive, did very well at Dunfermline getting them promoted and taking them to fourth in the SPL. Did a good job at Aberdeen taking them to the last 16 in Europe. Even at Kilmarnock he kept them up when they looked doomed, at Ross County he only lost 4 games out of 17. Recently he has been managing in Holland again, quite successfully, he is by far the most qualified for the Ayr job.

On the question of bullying you are only hearing one side of the story and he won't be the first manager who didn't understand depression and quite frankly no club with players on very short contacts and little resource could manage depression well, they just don't have the time and patience.

I for one would warmly welcome his appointment however I suspect Lachlan will look for a cheaper option!

Aye what a month that was :lol:

Also who is he more qualified that has also applied? I don't know the list of applicants do you?

I didn't say anything about winning things. I said 'success', which is of course relative. Jimmy Calderwood experienced success at Dunfermline and Aberdeen because he was given more money to spend than his competitors were. This does not make him a good manager. Several of our previous managers did go on to get further management jobs so you've struck out with that one, but I wasn't arguing that Calderwood doesn't operate at a higher level than them in any case. My point is that he only does so because he bought his way to success with a couple of teams several years ago and is still living off of that despite being shite ever since. Any semi-competent manager can spend their way to success if afforded the opportunity, and Calderwood has never shown himself to be anything above that.

No idea what point you're trying to make with the Old Firm bit.

We do have a bit more money available than other clubs at this level, but we're not in a position to go out and buy players, which is Calderwood's modus operandi. Our current situation is much more comparable to that of Killie and Ross County before Calderwood took over than it is to Dunfermline or Aberdeen, and you'll struggle to find a sensible fan of either team who has anything positive to say about him.

Obvious issues? What exactly do you think depression is? It's not like O'Leary was saying that Calderwood was vaguely mean to him; he gave several specific examples of Calderwood's behaviour. Do you honestly believe they're fabricated, given that media-whore Calderwood made no effort to deny the claims as well as the fact that they're quite blatantly true?

Sorry but which of our former managers went on to make a living from the game? Brian Reid got a couple of jobs but has he ever really proven himself as a manager. Calderwood might have had some extra cash at Aberdeen compared to the others but certainly not at Dunfermline. Getting league , cup and european success is no mean feat. If you think Calderwood was shit it's still an entirely different level of shit to what we've had to endure. In those days transfer fees were common and everybody at that level bought players. Nowadays hardly anyone pays transfer fees although the system is the same in that those with the most money get the better players as they pay better wages. For the second division he might be well suited as you've already agreed Ayr have a bit of cash for this level. Again I'm struggling to think of many out of work players or managers from a higher level that a small team has refused and written off because they wouldn't be able to cope.

Depression ranges from those that are very ill and can't cope day to day whilst there are others who can't be bothered going into work. To write off someone with a long term track record in the game on the basis of a newspaper article without even hearing the other side of the story is laughable.

Well unless Fergie has decided to come out of retirement to apply for the job I believe Calderwood is the most qualified out of the likes of Stark, McColl, Henderson, Sloan etc.

Ayrexile is entirely correct in that all previous Ayr managers in recent years have been poor and not made it in management anywhere. An experienced old heid is exactly what we need and Calderwood seems to fit the bill.

Calderwood would be a good appointment for Ayr, if Ayr fans think they're going to get much better than him then they are deluded. No-one with any half-decent reputation wanting to make their way in the game is going to take a club sitting 9th in League One, where relegation would kill their career. Someone like Calderwood who doesn't have anything to lose is far more likely.

Well unless Fergie has decided to come out of retirement to apply for the job I believe Calderwood is the most qualified out of the likes of Stark, McColl, Henderson, Sloan etc.

To be honest you are just saying names of people who are on the mcbookie odds list, that does not mean anything at all

All that we actually know is

League 1 Ayr United have received more than 30 applications for the vacant manager's job at Somerset Park.

"The vast majority of applications are from Scotland, however there are five from coaches based in Portugal, Italy and Eastern Europe.

Read more at http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/plenty-interest-in-ayr-vacancy/#x5XwaDoZv3RSKzBD.99

Calderwood spent a shitload of cash at Dunfermline. Our squad was ridiculously bloated for the size of club we are. The amount of money he spent was a major factor in us going into administration and he bolted as soon as he was told to rein it in.

Calderwood would be a good appointment for Ayr, if Ayr fans think they're going to get much better than him then they are deluded. No-one with any half-decent reputation wanting to make their way in the game is going to take a club sitting 9th in League One, where relegation would kill their career. Someone like Calderwood who doesn't have anything to lose is far more likely.

A full time job with a mostly full time squad of players and full time youth team currently sitting 9th in league one, Why would anyone not currently employed in Scottish football not even be slightly interested in the post even if they have half a chance of the St. Mirren job. 9th is a false position for the club based on this, real in the sense that Roberts signed and led a squad capable of being in that position, being full time should give a team the edge, but due to Stranraer and Forfar topping to the table Roberts, Jeffries and Duffys positions have all been put under scrutiny.

if Roberts had been sacked this time last year the list of applicants would be a lot poorer, full time football brings a better quality of applicant, I'm sure guys like Barry Smith and Iain Murray would have considered applying for the Ayr job

If the board get the appointment wrong then the club is screwed, fans are already staying away and a daft appointment, say....like someone struggling at Clyde then many will never be back.

Calderwood and Jeffries would be seen as a safe option as to an extent would Lennon, Aitken or Sloan would be slightly more brave but might pay off

If we hadn't done it so regularly before, this would probably be a good time for a cheap option, someone to learn a bit over the rest of this season and prepare for league two next season.

If we hadn't done it so regularly before, this would probably be a good time for a cheap option, someone to learn a bit over the rest of this season and prepare for league two next season.

Give them two and a half years to "learn" before the next guy prepares for a season in the Lowland league

Ayr need another Brian Reid now, someone who will make it clear who the chancing b@stards at the club are and make us hard to beat again.

Archived