Queens v Cowdenbeath

There is no need for them to stop their fantastic vocal backing.....just cut out the idiotic smoke bombs as they can harm the club with sanctions. I hope that they are in full voice on Saturday, and we can come away with a win

Agree with those comments the 'young team' really add to the atmosphere just stick to the rules tho before the club gets in to bother.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kidd and Kiltie for me as well. As others have said no point in rushing Paton back just for him to get injured again. I don't think out wide is his best position anyway.

Russell will be a loss, he's been outstanding in the last two games.

Apart from the last game at CP, Russell has always played well against us wherever he's been. You can't be as poor again and Cowden will have selection problems too. Not too confident but it's games like this where Cowden can do the unexpected. Fingers crossed we get something from this game.

How come Lyle is playing well for you guys? He was hopeless when he played for Cowden.

Lyle was probably deemed as an experienced bit-part player when he was signed for our 2nd Division campaign, and his signing wasn't exactly met with a lot of enthusiasm from some of our fans. He has proven to be much more important than that, mainly because he has adapted his game so well now that he is older and slower.

He links the play well between midfield and attack using his strength, and a new found aerial presence that I don't remember from his first stint. He has good feet, and the sort of football brain that only comes with experience. He has probably scored more than I expected him to, despite a tendency to show why he never quite made it in the top division, with poor finishing.

He's been particularly effective this season in games that have needed a calming influence coming off the bench, and I still feel that is his best role for us.

He's an important part of the experienced spine of our squad (along with Kerr, Dowie and Higgins), but he's not going to go chasing lost causes and harrying defenders in the way Reilly does. So perhaps he's better suited to a team that is playing well and winning, which we largely have been in his time with us, rather than a struggling team down the bottom of the league.

Lyle was probably deemed as an experienced bit-part player when he was signed for our 2nd Division campaign, and his signing wasn't exactly met with a lot of enthusiasm from some of our fans. He has proven to be much more important than that, mainly because he has adapted his game so well now that he is older and slower.

He links the play well between midfield and attack using his strength, and a new found aerial presence that I don't remember from his first stint. He has good feet, and the sort of football brain that only comes with experience. He has probably scored more than I expected him to, despite a tendency to show why he never quite made it in the top division, with poor finishing.

He's been particularly effective this season in games that have needed a calming influence coming off the bench, and I still feel that is his best role for us.

He's an important part of the experienced spine of our squad (along with Kerr, Dowie and Higgins), but he's not going to go chasing lost causes and harrying defenders in the way Reilly does. So perhaps he's better suited to a team that is playing well and winning, which we largely have been in his time with us, rather than a struggling team down the bottom of the league.

I think this is probably very accurate. The signings of Lyle (and Derek Young) by Allan Johnston before our second division season were largely greeted with either indifference or downright vocal opposition by our fans. However they both proved to be astute and important signings, Young quickly becoming very popular with the fans (he's still your avatar seven months after leaving the club!) and I don't think too many in 2012 would have thought we'd be debating two and a half years later whether or not Lyle should be starting for a side that beat Rangers last week and sits in a playoff spot above Hibs in the Championship.

As you say he has completely reinvented himself during his time away and changed from being a hare of a striker who poached goals to a sort of Teddy Sheringham type role. He's found flicks and passes that weren't part of his game 10 years ago and also a spring that makes him an genuine aerial threat at this level. He links play really well. Most of his goals in the last couple of seasons have been against lower division sides in the cups but he still chips in with the odd crucial goal. Like you I think he's usually better coming off the bench where he has positively affected games like Hearts and especially Raith away. However, when called upon to start he can still do a job. It wouldn't overly worry me if one of the other strikers got injured and we had to rely on Lyle for a few weeks. Popular in the dressing room too, he's an important character in the squad. Bringing him in was a masterstroke by Johnston.

Still remember that young whipper snapper of a striker that John Connolly astutely brought to QoS in our promotion season of 01-02. Has made a massive contribution to QoS over two ( or three ) spells . Agree with all of the above , he makes things happen instantly when coming on. If this is his last season then I hope Queens fans show their appreciation at the end of the season. Love the player and that's even after hearing he supports the rangers . I must be going soft.

See the young guys who have been creating a decent atmosphere at games are stopping because their apparently getting moaned at.shame if true. Im sure the team benefits from a decent backing at games.hopefully they are not put off just because of a few comments from people on the mad messageboard

Of course, a more accurate description of comments on the Mad site is that the vast majority of posters are fully supportive of the young team although , understandably , there was some concern about the smoke bombs getting the club in trouble and from a guy who's young son got knocked over in the surge after the second goal

Lyle turns 34 in February. It's not inconceivable he has another season in him at this level as he appears to keep himself physically fit. I've no idea if he has any intention of going into coaching but a player/coach role might be a possibility.

He is of course our most decorated player with 4 winners medals to his name. If we decide to have another Hall of Fame night a strong case could be made for the Tan Man's inclusion. He gets my vote anyway.

Lyle was shafted out on the left wing constantly. Never got a chance to play through the middle. Totally pointless for both parties.

half accurate.

We played lyle wide left and out of position, but he did a job for the team in a problem position which helped us achieve our aim that season. Showed good character to do that as he couldn't show his main game but sacrificed plaudits for the greater good.

half accurate.

We played lyle wide left and out of position, but he did a job for the team in a problem position which helped us achieve our aim that season. Showed good character to do that as he couldn't show his main game but sacrificed plaudits for the greater good.

One goal in 18 games! He's done much, much better for QoS, hope he doesn't score on Saturday.

half accurate.

I disagree. He was wasted out there - made clear by the success he's had since then. His best game in my opinion was away to Brechin after we'd won the league as the lone striker.

His winning goal that took about 361947 deflections at home against Brechin in a crucial game was huge though.

I disagree. He was wasted out there - made clear by the success he's had since then. His best game in my opinion was away to Brechin after we'd won the league as the lone striker.

His winning goal that took about 361947 deflections at home against Brechin in a crucial game was huge though.[/quote

Don't think he was trying too hard when he played for Cowden, or maybe he was injured?

Of course, a more accurate description of comments on the Mad site is that the vast majority of posters are fully supportive of the young team although , understandably , there was some concern about the smoke bombs getting the club in trouble and from a guy who's young son got knocked over in the surge after the second goal

Probably wrong thread for this but I think if the young team cut out the smoke bombs then there is no issue with them. As already pointed out the club is going to end up with a fine if this carries on. As for the guy who's son was bowled over, why take an 8 year old to the busiest part of the terracing, surely a parent can see the possible safety risks there. I used to stand in a similar area but if my kids go to to game with me I stand at the side where it is less busy, safer and the kids can see. Commonsense surely? I don't buy this "I've paid for my ticket so will stand there if I want" theory, if you do that you must then take responsibility for the safety of your own child.

Probably wrong thread for this but I think if the young team cut out the smoke bombs then there is no issue with them. As already pointed out the club is going to end up with a fine if this carries on.

They will also end up with increased police and stewarding charges and everyone being properly searched before entering the ground as we used to complain about getting done at Dundee. Is that really what we want?

They apparently undertook not to do this pyrotechnic stuff again after the Falkirk incident and yet here we are after two more in a fortnight. It's moronic behaviour with absolutely no consideration for the effects on everyone else.

They will also end up with increased police and stewarding charges and everyone being properly searched before entering the ground as we used to complain about getting done at Dundee. Is that really what we want?

They apparently undertook not to do this pyrotechnic stuff again after the Falkirk incident and yet here we are after two more in a fortnight. It's moronic behaviour with absolutely no consideration for the effects on everyone else.

Think yourself lucky you get to sneak in the side door at games and don't have to get body searched .

And please don't tar all the young team with the same brush . It only takes one person to hide & let off a smoke bomb at games .

Kidd and Kiltie for me as well. As others have said no point in rushing Paton back just for him to get injured again. I don't think out wide is his best position anyway.

Russell will be a loss, he's been outstanding in the last two games.

Have to disagree with you there, his best games have been when he's wide left, Brechin for example. Where would you play him?

As for the guy who's son was bowled over, why take an 8 year old to the busiest part of the terracing, surely a parent can see the possible safety risks there. I used to stand in a similar area but if my kids go to to game with me I stand at the side where it is less busy, safer and the kids can see. Commonsense surely? I don't buy this "I've paid for my ticket so will stand there if I want" theory, if you do that you must then take responsibility for the safety of your own child.

Agree with this. Why would you take your 8 year old son into the busiest (and rowdiest) section of the terrace, for what would be the busiest game of the season.

Archived