Arbroath vs Berwick Rangers

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berwick Rangers started brightly, first 15 mins put us under a bit pressure. Actually thought they played well, passed the ball and kept possession, just ran out of ideas in the final third and tbh never really tested McCallum.

On the other hand we looked workmanlike and well organised, took our chances and scored a couple of deserved goals and a clean sheet.

Agree with what others have said Louden and McBride played well. Louden looked lively and put in a shift. McBride looked comfortable at CB and didnt put a foot wrong. Good team effort....hope we can keep this going!!

Berwick Rangers started brightly, first 15 mins put us under a bit pressure. Actually thought they played well, passed the ball and kept possession, just ran out of ideas in the final third and tbh never really tested McCallum.

On the other hand we looked workmanlike and well organised, took our chances and scored a couple of deserved goals and a clean sheet.

Agree with what others have said Louden and McBride played well. Louden looked lively and put in a shift. McBride looked comfortable at CB and didnt put a foot wrong. Good team effort....hope we can keep this going!!

Lowden must have been the most fouled player on the park today. Was on the end of some horrible stuff from the Berwick hatchet men.

When he was hacked in the second half i thought the ref was going for red, could hardly believe my eyes when it was only a yellow.

We've chopped and changed and both outfield loanees (both been good btw) missing but today was a straight forward profession performance.

Good win today, some poor tackles from Berwick today though. First goal was well worked, and the second was a good finish after a good run from bobby. 5 points clear at Christmas is fantastic, but some massive games in the next month for us.

By all accounts yet another step backwards to follow a modicum of progress. 6th in the division - and absolutely miles from the top - is piss poor really.

Our season now boils down to the cup and scrapping with some poor teams for 4th place.

By all accounts yet another step backwards to follow a modicum of progress. 6th in the division - and absolutely miles from the top - is piss poor really.

Our season now boils down to the cup and scrapping with some poor teams for 4th place.

Aye, totally agree. Spent some dosh, good squad. Discuss.

Lowden must have been the most fouled player on the park today. Was on the end of some horrible stuff from the Berwick hatchet men.

Absolutely awful display from the referee today. We have seen some bad officials but he is definately one of the worst ever. Credit to our guys who kept their heads and played football despite some rough treatment.

After a good performance v Rovers and demolishing Clyde, i genuinely fancied us to get a decent result at Gayfield. That'll teach me. Optimism can be a harsh mistress.

We were very poor on Saturday, and this was one that can be filed with our no-shows at Annan and Queens Park. I should also say that Arbroath were excellent, in fact the best Third Division side i've seen for several years. They break very quickly, they work very hard to get the ball back when they don't have it, and in McManus and Murray they have the best strike force in the league. For all that, we made it way too easy for them, an encouraging opening 15 minutes or so excepted. Once Arbroath stepped up a gear, we had no answer.

Defensively, we were ok on Saturday, but the midfield was a shambles and the attack was toothless. I thought the managers' tactics were poor. OK, Ross Gray may have started had he not picked up an injury (in training?), which would have given us a better

balance, but neither Lavery, wasted out on the left, nor Willis, made any impact.Nor did Gold in a floating role behind Russell, while Lee Currie had his poorest game in weeks and disappeared from sight completely after being shunted out to the left wing in the 2nd half. Russell was isolated up top and rarely got a look in against the 3 defenders marking him. Stevie Notman put in a phenomenal performance, going toe to toe with the entire Arbroath midfield after his colleagues went MIA, while Jacobs and Young were also excellent. Drummond also took the game to the Lichties when he replaced Hoskins, and must be a starter on Saturday. It's baffling keeping one of our best players on the bench, especially when too many starters simply are'nt delivering. Time to bench Willis and Gold. They don't offer enough and the workrate and commitment from the likes of Notman and Jacobs shows them up for lightweights.

Arbroath took their foot off the gas after scoring their second goal, safe in the knowledge that we could have played until next Saturday without scoring. Lavery's long ranger which clipped the top of the bar was the only time we looked remotely threatening. McCallum did'nt make a single save of note, and for the first time I can remember we did'nt manager to force one corner. For the data freaks out there, i see we had 54% v 46% possession, which just goes to show that stats can be absolutely meaningless. Arbroath probably won't have a more comfortable match all season.

Have'nt a clue where we go from here. A promising cup run is no substitute for grinding out a successful league campaign. I can't see the top 3 slipping now, even though it's rdiculuously early in the season to be making such a claim, so here we are, yet again, scraping around to get into fourth. That's not progress. And it's little wonder that crowds are down and supporters are frustrated. A team with plenty of promise is letting them down more weeks than not.

Archived