Big Rock v Big Wheel on BBC Alba

OK3, right through the leagues you and some others seem to have had a sense of impending (sorry to use this word) doom, no matter what the scenario. We were lucky to win division 3 because it was on the back of a Cowden collapse. We were fortunate to stay in division 2 and the chickens were coming home to roost and we just weren't good enough. Then we were lucky to be in the Championship via the play-offs because we didn't merit being there.

Now we don't have any depth? Don't agree at all. As others have pointed out we have a pretty strong squad and it isn't a surprise to me that the manager decided to stick with the guys who did well last season. If you are the top part-time club in the country you surely adopt a high risk strategy by change for the sake of it?

There are three options for Murray to try and sign better players than we have 1) Premiership loan deals (Kane, McDonald, Rogers. 2) Full time pros getting on a bit and willing to go part time (Van Zanten, Mair) and 3) Up and coming players not good enough to be in the sights of Premiership or English teams (the hardest call) and 4) Players moving sideways (Campbell)

There's six fresh faces

The only players I wouldn't have re-signed were Murray and Nish. I understand Grindlay was kept for cover on reduced terms and because he was due a testimonial - fair enough. However if the team remains in its current position I believe it will be the only part time side to have retained second tier status for three successive seasons since 1998?

It does seem strange in such circumstances to keep focussing on the shortcomings of the team/manager.

Merry Christmas

*Claps*

Excellent post Wilf.

Lighten up OK3, enjoy the journey! If you'd said to me we'd win the third division next season at the end of 07/08 I'd have laughed. If you'd have said we'd win the playoffs at the end of 2010/11 I'd have laughed. If you'd have said to me in December 2012 that we'd have stayed up and finished 5th in the league with a Scottish Cup quarter final the season after that I'd have laughed. None of us know where football will take us next and that's why we all love it!

Mon the Sons and Mon the Glass half full guys!

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said.Howlin' Wilf. Knew this season was going to be tough and it is proving to be so. What Ian Murray does in January will show our intentions for the rest of the season.

You can possibly only have 2 intentions.

Aim to Stay up or aim to go down.

Please don't tell me for 1 second you think you can seriously finish in the top 5?

OK3, right through the leagues you and some others seem to have had a sense of impending (sorry to use this word) doom, no matter what the scenario. We were lucky to win division 3 because it was on the back of a Cowden collapse. We were fortunate to stay in division 2 and the chickens were coming home to roost and we just weren't good enough. Then we were lucky to be in the Championship via the play-offs because we didn't merit being there.

Now we don't have any depth? Don't agree at all. As others have pointed out we have a pretty strong squad and it isn't a surprise to me that the manager decided to stick with the guys who did well last season. If you are the top part-time club in the country you surely adopt a high risk strategy by change for the sake of it?

There are three options for Murray to try and sign better players than we have 1) Premiership loan deals (Kane, McDonald, Rogers. 2) Full time pros getting on a bit and willing to go part time (Van Zanten, Mair) and 3) Up and coming players not good enough to be in the sights of Premiership or English teams (the hardest call) and 4) Players moving sideways (Campbell)

There's six fresh faces

The only players I wouldn't have re-signed were Murray and Nish. I understand Grindlay was kept for cover on reduced terms and because he was due a testimonial - fair enough. However if the team remains in its current position I believe it will be the only part time side to have retained second tier status for three successive seasons since 1998?

It does seem strange in such circumstances to keep focussing on the shortcomings of the team/manager.

Merry Christmas

OK Wilf I surrender, I've stated my views and it looks like Balloch Sons Fan and I are in a minority of two on here - I can live with that.

Dumbarton finished in the top 5 last season. A repeat this season would be extraordinary, but not impossible.

I don't mean to be insulting.

I like Dumbarton, their fans and the very well run club.

They have a great wee setup and are a credit to the town.

But hear this. You will not finish above Queens, Falkirk and the big 3

I don't mean to be insulting.

I like Dumbarton, their fans and the very well run club.

They have a great wee setup and are a credit to the town.

But hear this. You will not finish above Queens, Falkirk and the big 3

I agree with that but we can be the best of the rest and we're currently on course to do that.

Well said.Howlin' Wilf. Knew this season was going to be tough and it is proving to be so. What Ian Murray does in January will show our intentions for the rest of the season.

Similar points made via FFC fans, the table makes an interesting study from same point of last year. The minus in goals column mainly with a 3 teams nearly hitting -20

Hearts have an impressive total in all columns, very much like the Ross County team, altho they didnt start well that season.

Coming up to the halfway point, Id be very surprised if the top 5 changed in teams, the fact that the teams closest have poor goal differences, but I stand on record on saying the next third really defines the season

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/championship/2013-2014/table/2013-12-21

The Championship is effectively two mini leagues. Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Falkirk & QOS battling for promotion and ourselves, Raith, Alloa, Livi and Cowden battling to avoid relegation. 6th this season would be a greater achievement than 5th last year in my opinion.

This season and next bear no resemblance to anything close to normal. With that in mind, 8th is acceptable and anything else is a bonus. Best case scenario is that 2 of the big 3 go up and we get them out of the division. Worst case is that the likes of Queens take the play-off and we're left with Rangers, Hibs and a relegated premier league team next season.

One of the worrying aspects for me was our subs bench on Saturday. We only named 6 instead of 7. Why not take a young player along to get the game experience? He might not have a chance of actually playing but giving him a taste of the first team match day. Not naming our full allocation of subs just seemed pointless.

One of the worrying aspects for me was our subs bench on Saturday. We only named 6 instead of 7. Why not take a young player along to get the game experience? He might not have a chance of actually playing but giving him a taste of the first team match day. Not naming our full allocation of subs just seemed pointless.

We're not the only club to do this; Alloa only named 4 subs when we beat them recently. Agreed it seems a bit pointless though.

At least he isn't a fan of the rampant gamesmanship that Peter Houston obviously is. Feigning injury,kicking the ball away at every opportunity,time wasting (with the keeper getting an honourable mention here) they were all in there to excess. Houston even brought on the standard sub in the last minute. You were three goals up ffs.

Oh dry your eyes FFS

Archived