Mark Roberts injured rabble vs Stirling Albion

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murphy was a class act towards the start of the season when the team were playing with confidence and he had plenty of runners to hit with his long balls. Now that those options have largely dried up he's been reduced to shelling the ball repeatedly in the general direction of the striker, which clearly didn't work at all yesterday. He still picks out the odd pearler (like his assist for Forrest's goal last week) but it's becoming increasingly tiresome watching him punt ball after ball at the opposing centre halves.

Defensively I think he's alright, but nothing particularly special. I think his technical ability masks his mediocrity as a defender from a lot of our support. I'd obviously still have him in the team but I don't think he deserves to be as immune from criticism as he has been up until now.

If your going to this let us know how this goes. Watched a lot of 20s games last year at Belmont, smashing team wth some quality youngsters which included a certain Mr Longridge and theres more like him were gonna lose if we don't watch. Nisbett, McCracken and the two central midfielder lads i thought looked capable of breaking through.

When the midfield is as bad as ours is, it gives him little option but to play it long.

What does playing it long to the striker's head ever achieve in this Ayr team? Ryan Donnelly was never, ever going to beat Chris Smith in the air yesterday, and even if he had, he'd have had to knock the ball back into centre midfield anyway since there was no one going beyond him. Our midfield might not be great but having them recycle possession while they look for an opening is preferable to the guaranteed failure of Murphy looking for a long ball that isn't there.

I

What does playing it long to the striker's head ever achieve in this Ayr team? Ryan Donnelly was never, ever going to beat Chris Smith in the air yesterday, and even if he had, he'd have had to knock the ball back into centre midfield anyway since there was no one going beyond him. Our midfield might not be great but having them recycle possession while they look for an opening is preferable to the guaranteed failure of Murphy looking for a long ball that isn't there.

Your missing my point. I'm sure Murphy's first thought is to play the short pass but as McGlaughlin was arsing about as a no 10 and god knows what Gilmour was doing, then it doesn't leave him many options.

And to have them recycle possession would have been great but we were nowhere near the 2nd ball never mind the first.

Still can't get over how poor the defending is for the equaliser, Sunday league stuff

Video highlights certainly suggests poor defending but you also have to give Beattie credit for anticipating a flick on. The sign of a good attacker.

Was good to see the heads didn't go down and they got themselves in front.

Half the season to go so still not a lost cause.

Half the season to go so still not a lost cause.

Very true, I don't think it is either however I do feel we need to beat Stenny in a few weeks to make things a little easier for us. I genuinely believe we can get something from Morton on Saturday and would expect Stranraer to beat Stenny at home so not all is lost.

I genuinely feel optimistic since Skippy and Corrigan have taken over, Dorris seems to be hitting a bit of form now as well (since his injury) and going by various Stenny threads, their fans are not confident about their chances.

Sooner we get that win the easier it's going to be......although lose at Ochilview on the 3rd of January and we really are pissing against the wind.

I Your missing my point. I'm sure Murphy's first thought is to play the short pass but as McGlaughlin was arsing about as a no 10 and god knows what Gilmour was doing, then it doesn't leave him many options.

And to have them recycle possession would have been great but we were nowhere near the 2nd ball never mind the first.

No, I know what point you're trying to make. My point is that trying to use Ryan Donnelly as a target man, particularly when he's up against a defender who's as strong aerially as Chris Smith is, is as good as hitting the ball directly out of play. There's never not a man free on the pitch; if there isn't a gap in midfield he can knock it between himself and the other centre half, the full back or the keeper until one appears. Murphy just seems to be too impatient to wait for that to happen a lot of the time, which is what I'd expect from a centre half at this level. And I suppose in a roundabout way that was my point all along - that Murphy is playing at the level he should be, because, despite his ability to play some superb balls, he's guilty of having a number of the same shortcomings that most centre halves at this level have.

No, I know what point you're trying to make. My point is that trying to use Ryan Donnelly as a target man, particularly when he's up against a defender who's as strong aerially as Chris Smith is, is as good as hitting the ball directly out of play. There's never not a man free on the pitch; if there isn't a gap in midfield he can knock it between himself and the other centre half, the full back or the keeper until one appears. Murphy just seems to be too impatient to wait for that to happen a lot of the time, which is what I'd expect from a centre half at this level. And I suppose in a roundabout way that was my point all along - that Murphy is playing at the level he should be, because, despite his ability to play some superb balls, he's guilty of having a number of the same shortcomings that most centre halves at this level have.

That was Daziels reasoning with Marco Chiardi......he was too advanced for the other players at Ayr, they couldn't read what he was about to do, which was normally fire a 40 yard diagonal ball out the other side of the park or over hit corners out for a throw-in

I think Murphy if fed up of passing to the midfield because they inevitably just turn round and give it to him or Devlin and put them under pressure, there are no out balls as both our "wide" players drift inside or are too close to the full back to be of any use, almost every time the ball will go from midfield to full back who will carry the ball 10 feet, stop, pass either to Donnelly who has came deep meaning there is no one in the box....to lay off to a midfielder.....who then has no one in the box to aim for

Or, they pass it to a midfielder leading to 2-3 passes before being back at the full back.

Midfield aren't moving forward quick enough and the wide players aren't supporting enough, all a team has to do is put Devlin and Donald under pressure quickly and we are lost

Archived