The Maureens v Steelmen 6 pointer 20/12/14

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He clearly was trying to get the ball and win it back, go watch it again. Whether he was stretchered of or not is totally irrelevant.

Do you actually understand football? Judging by this thread you've just started watching it.

He may initially have set off with a view of getting the ball, but you can see he knew he wasn’t going to get it and instead went for the man instead. You can actually see his leg divert in the last few milliseconds.

I’m sure he didn’t mean to hurt the guy, but it was a reckless and dangerous tackle.

And no, I’ve not just started watching football.

Played 12 seasons in a really tough (physically not ability) amateur league in Paisley. Still play 7s every week and half a dozen 11s games a year.

At one point in the amateur league I got my leg broken (intentionally, and the guy was good enough to tell me he was going to do it about 5 minutes before they were calling the ambulance).

I didn’t walk for 6 months, and missed just over a season.

In my first game back the physical treatment I got from the defenders was OTT even for that league.

Happened for several months afterwards. They knew I was coming back from a bad injury so were trying to intimidate me.

Anything that amateur teams/coaches will do to gain an advantage, you can bet pros will do.

For people on this thread to suggest that the Well backroom team didn’t tell their players to “get a few early hard tackles in” on Thommo is deluding themselves.

The evidence backs that up. You could see Thommo himself speaking to the ref about it.

Unfortunately he decided to take matters in to his own hands which backfired big style.

At one point in the amateur league I got my leg broken (intentionally, and the guy was good enough to tell me he was going to do it about 5 minutes before they were calling the ambulance).

Did this happen following a conversation about officials' decisions during a St Mirren match?

He may initially have set off with a view of getting the ball, but you can see he knew he wasn’t going to get it and instead went for the man instead. You can actually see his leg divert in the last few milliseconds.

I’m sure he didn’t mean to hurt the guy, but it was a reckless and dangerous tackle.

And no, I’ve not just started watching football.

Played 12 seasons in a really tough (physically not ability) amateur league in Paisley. Still play 7s every week and half a dozen 11s games a year.

In my first game back the physical treatment I got from the defenders was OTT even for that league.

Happened for several months afterwards. They knew I was coming back from a bad injury so were trying to intimidate me.

Anything that amateur teams/coaches will do to gain an advantage, you can bet pros will do.

For people on this thread to suggest that the Well backroom team didn’t tell their players to “get a few early hard tackles in” on Thommo is deluding themselves.

The evidence backs that up. You could see Thommo himself speaking to the ref about it.

Unfortunately he decided to take matters in to his own hands which backfired big style.

Wasn't tannahills or west end villa you were playing by any chance? Played in p and d for 3 seasons couldn't wait to get out of that league

alan-partridge-shrug-o.gif

Did this happen following a conversation about officials' decisions during a St Mirren match?

No, he took offence to me trying to keep him away from our goalie at a corner.

Believe it or not, I was never once booked for dissent :D.

Wasn't tannahills or west end villa you were playing by any chance? Played in p and d for 3 seasons couldn't wait to get out of that league

Tannahills rings a bell?

Was a pretty low level (mainly works/pub teams) where effort, commitment and being less hungover than your opponents usually was enough to get the points.

That from a guy whose team has Goodwin in it is pure comedy gold.

I'd be astonished and disappointed if our team didn't do the same things.

Can't believe how much hard work it is to get across what I thought was a truism.

Hard to know if people are reallt so hard of understanding or if they are in comedy wind up mode.

Has anyone actually said this, or is it just part of your continued breakdown?

Has anyone actually said this, or is it just part of your continued breakdown?

Yip. Several people earlier in the thread jumped on the fact I said Well were probably under instructions to get a few hard tackles in earlier than Thommo.

Same people that seemed to think football fans never try to influence refs.

Not sure if these people are at the wind up or genuinely believe what they’re saying.

But it looks like if you try to actually debate with them the standard P&B responses are hashtags, GIFs, memes… and then being accused of having a breakdown.

It’s like trying to have a discussion with a group of 5 year olds.

Yip. Several people earlier in the thread jumped on the fact I said Well were probably under instructions to get a few hard tackles in earlier than Thommo.

Same people that seemed to think football fans never try to influence refs.

Not sure if these people are at the wind up or genuinely believe what theyre saying.

But it looks like if you try to actually debate with them the standard P&B responses are hashtags, GIFs, memes and then being accused of having a breakdown.

Its like trying to have a discussion with a group of 5 year olds.

gratepoast.gif

Whilst I agree that the tv pictures do not exonerate Thompson, I can't understand some of the posters on here who are saying things like 'stick on red' or 'absolute correct decision'.

The footage is pretty pish - how anyone can say one way or another is mystifying to me.

As it stands, the ref made a call and we have to go with it. Appeal wouldn't overturn the decision imo.

Look Bobby all this nonsense about coaches telling our players to target Thomson is just that, nonsense.IF that was the case then it would surely be the player in your team with the shortest fuse we would be targetting (Goodwin).

It might happen in the amateurs/Juniors but I havent seen any evidence that it routinely happens at our level as there are too many eyes on the players in the form of TV cameras.

Thommo had taken a couple of hefty tackles got a bit frustrated and saw the red mist (totally out of character I might add). Loads of players have done it at some stage in their careers.

If the ref had called it from 30 yards away then I would see your argumenr but it happened right under his nose and he had his card out before even walking over.

It's one of those situations where you take it up the arse and move on.

As it stands, the ref made a call and we have to go with it. Appeal wouldn't overturn the decision imo.

This. It falls firmly into the category of 'seen em given, seen em not given' - so there's no way the league would overturn that decision.

I wish we'd learn to be more cynical and cuter as a team. I mean Andy Millen, Tommy Turner cute. Thommo should have been putting every effort into either trying to score, or getting the (other) dirty c**t sent off. Other teams will wind us up and roll around - we seem to play the nice game for ages, until Goodwin, and now Thommo, snaps and lunges in or elbows someone in the chops.

It's just not very fucking clever, is it? I said this about Goodwin vs DUFC at the time: why the f**k did he raise his arm when all he had to do was stand his ground and draw the foul?

I dunno, I feel like we're a bunch of wee boys (not a reference to our threadbare squad) in terms of our attitude on the park. Let's not be petulant and lash out, let's frustrate the f**k out the opposition and wait for them to crack instead. It's like we're being bullied constantly, then when we crack, it's our punch that the teacher sees. :(

Thing is, this is exactly what you want the likes of Thommo and Goodwin to bring to our young squad, but it's the full-on polar opposite of what they have been bringing.

Archived