Partick Thistle vs Dundee

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest, do Partick have a derby? Who do the support see as their biggest game/derby?

We don't have a proper rival any more, which is a bit shite. Used to be Clyde, but due to them being completely terrible for a long time now, that faded into obscurity many years ago. As you can see by "davidspivey", some of them clearly still care, but no Thistle fan does.

We also had a pretty big rivalry with Airdrie for a while when they were worth bothering about, but again they're a shadow of their former selves.

Biggest game... no idea.

Local hostilities have always been directed against Rangers and Celtic - Thistle supporters have for years had the "Hello, Hello how do you do/blue/green/Queen" and also the "Thistle Bonnet with f**k the Old Firm on it" songs. It's fair to say neither Rangers or Celtic would know or care...they only have eyes for each other.

For a time from the mid 70's there was a bit of a rivalry with Kilmarnock as we were in regular promotion/relegation battles with them for a few seasons.

It was a sign of how far the Club had fallen that something of a rivalry with Airdrie and Clyde developed for a while. It was a bit of a surprise to most Thistle supporters to discover that Clyde fans regarded us as their hated rivals.

We still laugh loudly when the half-time results are read out and either of the Old Firm are losing - Rangers have been better comedy value recently - but nobody is even listening by the time they announce the Airdrie & Clyde scores.

It's the one downside I've always maintained about following Thistle. We lack a real rival. It's only from here I've discovered that some Clyde fans still have an absolute hatred for us.

A few teams that are geographically close have filled in when the teams have been close in the leagues- Killie in the 80s and early 90s, Clyde and Airdrie around the turn of the millenium, and even to a lesser extent Morton a couple of years ago. I'm not sure I could even name a Clyde player now.

Don't know why on earth folk have Ferry in their starting XI? The guy is brutal.

Agreed.

Dropping Irvine too? His defending this season has been excellent.

My team for Saturday would be-

Bain

McGinn

Konrad

McPake

Irvine

McAlister

Thomson

McGowan

Carreiro

Clarkson

Stewart

I like Boyle but he really needs to up his game. Roberts and Ferry have done nothing for us this season.

Agreed.

Dropping Irvine too? His defending this season has been excellent.

My team for Saturday would be-

Bain

McGinn

Konrad

McPake

Irvine

McAlister

Thomson

McGowan

Carreiro

Clarkson

Stewart

I like Boyle but he really needs to up his game. Roberts and Ferry have done nothing for us this season.

It's nothing against White Cafu - I just prefer a natural Lb to play there, no denying how well Irvine has played and adapted to the role though. He's a great asset for his versatility.

Ferry and Roberts can go find other clubs as far as I'm concerned. Ferry is on a decent wage too I'd imagine.

Archived