Question Time

Elixir

In any democracy, I would expect there to be a party of the left and a party of the right.  Typically the party of the right believes the state should be lean and mean.

The current UK government places too much emphasis on being mean.  They detest immigrants who are only seeking a better life.  They detest the poor for being poor.  They detest political correctness.  They detest the metric system.  They detest anything foreign.  They detest the left. 

Yet they complain like anything if anyone detests them back.

7 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

I actually thought Swinney was pretty good - Statesman like. On his brief, dealt with the questions and came across well.  Belle and Sebastian boy was a waste of a seat though. 

Yeah, he was excellent I thought.  His Covid briefings were an utter car crash but when talking about the ‘day job’ - Independence, Tory bashing etc, he knows his stuff and delivers it well. 

Stuart Murdoch was a waste of space, agreed. Clearly isn’t that into politics so I’m not sure why he was invited on. The little screen time he got left me thinking he needs to shut his noise.

7 hours ago, bs1903 said:

I would be interested to see if there was the same percentage of Scottish accents asking questions in an English studio as there was English accents tonight. By the way I already know the answer.

And the amount of time the ‘detest the tories’ debate got was laughable. 

Fucking foreigners eh! 

Send em back. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Fucking foreigners eh! 

Send em back. 

It’s a fair point, the English people I work with are all Unionists and the couple I worked with a few years ago are too. I’d say on average it stands to reason that most English people who live and work in Scotland are. You barely heard a Scottish accent last night. The BBC don’t even try to hide just how biased they are anymore.  

50/50 split my hoop. 

47 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It’s a fair point, the English people I work with are all Unionists and the couple I worked with a few years ago are too. I’d say on average it stands to reason that most English people who live and work in Scotland are. You barely heard a Scottish accent last night. The BBC don’t even try to hide just how biased they are anymore.  

50/50 split my hoop. 

Great replacement innit

I watched last night despite knowing it would send my blood pressure through the roof. Ha! Well, what can you say? If that showing doesn't prove that the BBC is a corrupt, orchestrated establishment mouthpiece, then I don't know what will. 

Found myself wishing that Brian Cox was on the Musselburgh panel last night (instead of the previous week) to knock 'no-ifs-no-buts' Anas Sarwar back a peg or two. The sheer audacity for a self-serving, grifter like HIM to be preaching about the Tories being finished in the UK, whilst simultaneously doing back-room deals with the very same Tories, is off-the-scale hypocrisy

Everybody knows the Tories are done for; Labour will win a GE (whenever that will be), with or without Scottish seats and Keir Starmer has obviously given Sarwar the task to take away SNP MP seats regardless of whether they go to Labour, Tories or LibDems. Sarwar will do exactly as he's told. That's all he is and all he'll ever be. A good, little puppet boy. 

When I saw the panel line-up, I genuinely feared the worst for John Swinney, but I thought he held his own well, got his points across calmly despite facing hostility from about 99% of the people in the room. My only criticism is that he can perhaps be a bit "too nice". I felt as though there were many "open goals" for him to put Anas Sarwar and Douglas Ross back in their rightful place. 

Stuart Murdoch (though I'm a big B&S fan) was clearly out of his depth. Vague answers without contributing anything we didn't really know already. 

Spectator woman. Do right-wing Spectator journalists have a seat reserved on BBCQT every week? What's their readership numbers in Scotland? 

Douglas Ross, as predicted, deflecting at every opportunity. He's only marginally worse than Sarwar. 

7 hours ago, monthefife said:

Spectator woman. Do right-wing Spectator journalists have a seat reserved on BBCQT every week? What's their readership numbers in Scotland? 

Despite being a left leaning nationalist, I read the Spectator.  It’s important to understand what the other side is thinking, and it actually pretty well written.  Once you get past the politics at the front, there are always a number of really interesting articles.

I find myself disagreeing with the conclusions being drawn, and often the entire content of articles, but it does allow you to see the nuance in a way other magazines don’t.

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2023 at 11:34, Suspect Device said:

If amybody's interested in being in the audience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/send/u39697902

I think it might be best to lie on the application and say you're a Conservative voters. If you mention being the owner of an orange jacket (or sash) that might help as well. 

Idle curiosity if any one knows - there was a guy wearing a bright yellow jumper in the audience, got to ask a (fairly innocuous) question fairly early on, however later was a vigorous applauder of the more fascist comments made.  Was this the guy having got on again?

10 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Idle curiosity if any one knows - there was a guy wearing a bright yellow jumper in the audience, got to ask a (fairly innocuous) question fairly early on, however later was a vigorous applauder of the more fascist comments made.  Was this the guy having got on again?

Don't think so.

10 minutes ago, Goomba said:

Great to see no independence chat on last night's QT, other than one audience member briefly slating it at the end.

That ship sailed in 2014.

And subsequently raised in 2016 when the UK did a u-turn and decided independence was in fact an absolutely necessary thing and not the terrible evil it had claimed in 2014.

1 hour ago, Goomba said:

Great to see no independence chat on last night's QT, other than one audience member briefly slating it at the end.

That ship sailed in 2014.

The main focus of the programme appears to me to have been about difficulties caused by a reserved act of the UK Parliament.

As the proposed Scottish legislation - which for the benefit of the hard of thinking is obviously NOT in effect - has had no impact whatsoever on the current prison related examples, if there is a problem, it must relate to the existing legislation.  The double rapist who now wishes to be referred to as female is doing it under the existing legislation and is being dealt with under its provisions. 

As I understand it, and I'm happy to be corrected, the main implications of the proposed Scottish legislation are that the minimum age drops from 18 to 16, the requirement for a medical or other "diagnosis" is removed and the minimum period for living in the new identity is reduced to 3 months (longer if at the younger end of the range).  None of these seem to open the floodgates for abusive men or allow them to do anything they can't already do. 

I fail to see what difference any of these issues would have made in the current controversial cases. Wicked men don't seem to need a certificate to abuse women at the moment, regardless of venue or the possession of a certificate and (again, as I understand it) the Equalities Act (reserved legislation) covers access issues to ban folk with or without a certificate from these spaces to protect women. 

About time Westminster sorted out their mess, IMO.  

As for that particular "ship" having sailed in 2014, I think you might find that it has returned to port and is attracting a considerable number of new crew members and passengers 😁

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The main focus of the programme appears to me to have been about difficulties caused by a reserved act of the UK Parliament.

As the proposed Scottish legislation - which for the benefit of the hard of thinking is obviously NOT in effect - has had no impact whatsoever on the current prison related examples, if there is a problem, it must relate to the existing legislation.  The double rapist who now wishes to be referred to as female is doing it under the existing legislation and is being dealt with under its provisions. 

As I understand it, and I'm happy to be corrected, the main implications of the proposed Scottish legislation are that the minimum age drops from 18 to 16, the requirement for a medical or other "diagnosis" is removed and the minimum period for living in the new identity is reduced to 3 months (longer if at the younger end of the range).  None of these seem to open the floodgates for abusive men or allow them to do anything they can't already do. 

I fail to see what difference any of these issues would have made in the current controversial cases. Wicked men don't seem to need a certificate to abuse women at the moment, regardless of venue or the possession of a certificate and (again, as I understand it) the Equalities Act (reserved legislation) covers access issues to ban folk with or without a certificate from these spaces to protect women. 

About time Westminster sorted out their mess, IMO.  

As for that particular "ship" having sailed in 2014, I think you might find that it has returned to port and is attracting a considerable number of new crew members and passengers 😁

It has only returned to port with all the functionality of an SNP ferry.

The issue was settled in 2014.