Question Time

Elixir

The mocking tone of the 'SNP said it was once in a generation' party line is the new 'let's get brexit done' for the tories. They have clearly been told to trot this shite out every time someone mentions Indyref 2.

Absolutely no regard for the concept that the remain campaign was largely based on Scotland retaining EU membership which we'd surely lose as an independent country. That we now stand to have lost that membership anyway, just over 5 years on from the referendum is surely a fundamental enough change in the last 5 years to force another vote. I'm quite confident that this wouldn't even be a point of issue if the vote was to remain in the EU. 

Daft question though, if Scotland, in the eyes of so many little Englander voters, are such a drain to the British economy and being so heavily propped up, why is EVERY unionist MP absolutely shiteing themselves at the prospect of Scotland leaving?! 

Edited by djchapsticks

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Daft question though, if Scotland, in the eyes of so many little Englander voters, are such a drain to the British economy and being so heavily propped up, why is EVERY unionist MP absolutely shiteing themselves at the prospect of Scotland leaving?! 

There was one of these little Englanders on a phone-in on 5 Live (?) the other day talking about how Nicola would make a good Scottish leader, but when asked if he'd rather have Nicola as PM rather than Boris, he replied "I think she'd make a good leader of Scotland, but I couldn't see her managing to handle the UK".

You clearly need to be an upper class Etonian to be able to run Westminster, not some state-schooled no-mark from the frozen north.

The mocking tone of the 'SNP said it was once in a generation' party line is the new 'let's get brexit done' for the tories. They have clearly been told to trot this shite out every time someone mentions Indyref 2.
Absolutely no regard for the concept that the remain campaign was largely based on Scotland retaining EU membership which we'd surely lose as an independent country. That we now stand to have lost that membership anyway, just over 5 years on from the referendum is surely a fundamental enough change in the last 5 years to force another vote. I'm quite confident that this wouldn't even be a point of issue if the vote was to remain in the EU. 
Notice they don't quote once in a generation, they have actually changed it to once in a lifetime. I noticed Theresa may trotting that out a few months ago and it has went totally unchallenged and been adopted and said enough that nobody bats an eyelid about the fact they have just completely changed a quote for their own good.

19 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:
19 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Notice they don't quote once in a generation, they have actually changed it to once in a lifetime. I noticed Theresa may trotting that out a few months ago and it has went totally unchallenged and been adopted and said enough that nobody bats an eyelid about the fact they have just completely changed a quote for their own good.

was it not Salmond whose throw away quote was picked up on and now seems to be considered enshrined in some legislative form? If it appeared in the bill I could get it but arguing that Scotland doesn't have a mandate and then referring to this line in an attempt to double down with a strong rebuttal is absolutely laughable. how many times has BJ been caught lying and contradicting himself yet any statement from a SNP politician is held up as sacrosanct. 

also did Salmond not add the word opportunity ie once in a lifetime opportunity.....

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Alyn Smith has been brilliant tonight. Made some really good points on the Royals and climate change.

Unfortunately discussing the Royal family is something of an English pastime. They devoted nearly 20 mins to that question, and as Alyn Smith rightly pointed out there are many more important issues which should be being discussed more seriously.

23 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:
30 minutes ago, zidane said:
Alyn Smith has been brilliant tonight. Made some really good points on the Royals and climate change.

Pity the audience is braindead

There’s been some terrible points from the audience tonight. The fella with the grey jumper and glasses having a go at Chakrabati for being arrogant was crazy.