Question Time

Elixir

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Every time you think the car crash is over, he finds another way to add to it. It's a genuinely unbelievably appalling performance.

People like to claim that Boris isn't the buffoon he seems - they're right, he's even worse.

Obviously I completely agree but sometimes I wonder if I’m watching the same person waffle through his interviews and speeches as the rest of the country. Boris Johnson couldn’t organise a game of pass the parcel at a 5 year olds birthday party, and usually I would say that in jest but I genuinely believe he couldn’t. I was watching ITV news on Wednesday where they were interviewing a few factory workers in Barrow-in-Furness. One guy turns to the camera and says he believes in Boris because ‘he’s for the working class’, this in a town where 40% of children are born into poverty.  Reading through the comments in support of him on Twitter makes me seriously worried for this country’s future. Trump has trodden the path first and Johnson is now following him. 

I'm really struggling to understand why there is so much furore over Corbyn's 'neutral' stance on a second EU referendum.

Cameron declared for Remain in a vote called by himself and he was offski soon after the result went against him. Swinson is being fried in oil for committing the Lib Dems wholly to Revoke.

Corbyn can be flayed for many things but this looks like a case that there was going to be a media grievance against him come what may and this was it.

The silent seethe on Sturgeon's performance is quite something too, in the absence of any negative material the UK media seems to have chosen to all but ignore it.

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The silent seethe on Sturgeon's performance is quite something too, in the absence of any negative material the UK media seems to have chosen to all but ignore it.

From the Independent an incredibly backhanded compliment:

As always, on these occasions — and this is perhaps the truest testament to how hopelessly banjaxed we are as a nation — the most eloquent, the most persuasive, the most likeable and the most serious candidate was obviously the one that 93 per cent of the population can’t vote for, isn’t even standing in the election, and is only in politics to break up the country.

But enough about her already.

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was watching ITV news on Wednesday where they were interviewing a few factory workers in Barrow-in-Furness. One guy turns to the camera and says he believes in Boris because ‘he’s for the working class’, this in a town where 40% of children are born into poverty.  Reading through the comments in support of him on Twitter makes me seriously worried for this country’s future. Trump has trodden the path first and Johnson is now following him. 

They make nuclear subs in Barrow, its is still relatively good working class jobs. On that specific issue, its no wonder people in that town think that the Tories promise more for their futures.

But on the broader issues, you really think the current Labour party sound like they are on the side of the "working class"? If its twitter comments you are after, look at how many have phrase like "racist gammons", "ok boomer" or "toxic masculinity" from Labour supporters. A large part of the left positively revel in belittling everyone outside their cliques. Boris' "blunt " bluster and his sailing close to the wind on racist language are the opposite. There are also issues around Cobyn, McDonnell and so on's past that, for many, raise issues about whos side they are on. 

The way a lot of people on the left think about elections and votes is you just promise a couple of popular policies and then sit back doing what ever you want while the votes come in. People vote far more on who they perceive to be a "strong leader" who will look out for them and who will manage the economy well rather than specific policies. You either try to look and sound like the voters you are trying to reach or you look and sound like you will manage the economy is a less risky fashion than the opposition. 

The whole "I despair for this country" is a shit attitude. People have to try to understand the electorate and why they vote, not just spend their time sneering at them then throwing their hands up in disgust when they do not respond the way you want. You have to be professional and clinical in selecting your policies and selecting people to sell them to a sceptical public. 

Its all water under the bridge now, there are none listening at the top of Labour. All we can hope is that fear of a Tory majority helps drive the undecideds towards putting a check on that. 

Edited by dorlomin

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

From the Independent an incredibly backhanded compliment:

As always, on these occasions — and this is perhaps the truest testament to how hopelessly banjaxed we are as a nation — the most eloquent, the most persuasive, the most likeable and the most serious candidate was obviously the one that 93 per cent of the population can’t vote for, isn’t even standing in the election, and is only in politics to break up the country.

But enough about her already.

Reads more like something out of a comic like the Express. On the debate Corbyn says a lot of good stuff then the Scotland question comes up and he falls apart. Sturgeon was class honest and straight and did well in explaining her position to the majority English audience. Swinson is hopelessly out her depth she doesn't take critisism well and seems quite thin skinned. Johnsons mumble bumble schtick is wearing thin and he seems to be pretty vacant on many matters and his constant get brexit done stock answer may not be as good an idea as he hoped.  Overall was not a bad show and Bruce was a lot better than on normal QT.

Corbyn is boxed into a corner on the Scotland question. Everything about his past suggests he won’t turn down a democratic mandate - but if he says he’d allow a referendum, ‘a vote for Labour is a vote to break up the union’ and it’s all talk of a Labour/SNP coalition, which worked a treat for Cameron in 2015. Into the bargain his Scottish party would be in uproar and he’d lose votes from No voters here.

What is he actually meant to say?

f**k me!! Twice in one night!!

OK - who's hacked Oaksoft's account?

I don’t know what’s happened to oaksoft here but I very much welcome it.

Funny how Milky is absolutely nowhere to be seen on this thread. Too much of a shitebag to admit that Sturgeon did a fine job last night.

Whatever party you plan to vote for, you have to admit that Nicola Sturgeon is an absolute class apart in this debate tonight.
Calm, measured, honest and attempting to answer all points of all questions.
First class performance.
She's had better and was still light years ahead. That's the levels we're talking here. How anyone can vote for Boris Johnson is beyond me. Even if he wasn't a Tory hes completely useless. His advisors are completely right to avoid debating Sturgeon.

An advantage Sturgeon has is that usually the interviewers and audience don't have much of a clue about Scottish politics, so she can swat away what they think are gotcha questions like flies. Streets ahead of the others despite that though.

Just watching this back now and got to Johnson. My first thought is that giving him 3 questions at a time seems ambitious, given the state he’s in, he can barely remember his own name.

I am starting to think that he’s not in fact a consummate liar, he’s has some kind of serious short term memory issue that means he can’t remember what he says from minute to minute.