Question Time

Elixir

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Swinney isn't a 'dud' by any means. He's a fair and honest politician who happens not to be desperate to spout populist garbage.

You may not agree with his politics, and that's fair enough, but like many old-school politicians in all parties these days he seems to be criticised because he's not 'shock-jock' material like Johnson, Rees-Mogg or Farage.

This the same person that defied the will of Parliament and went ahead with P1 testing because he knows best?

Edited by Moonglum25

Was that Tory ex-MSP Mary Scanlon posing as a member of the public in the audience?
MScanlon-300x269.jpg&key=2c8a9692308f29b5f086401d9fd583cb0b2f66fcc25a422aa7856ff5fe42f02e
Edited to add:
Here's a screenshot from the show for comparison purposes. Surprise, surprise, she was selected at random to ask a question.
D6uQq2IXsAAC4-e.jpg&key=e40c8cf217533aa0dcd02ee93d70d0ab9232747f19d461987ee38349f32f66be

Didn’t watch the show, but I’m not really understanding the outrage at this? She’s posing as a member of the public, because she is a member of the public? Fair enough if she was still an MSP, but she’s not.

Has anyone been able to identify any past or present SNP councillors or MSPS in any of these audiences?  Seems strange that there wouldn't be any when it was so easy to pick out a whole bunch of tories.

Has anyone been able to identify any past or present SNP councillors or MSPS in any of these audiences?  Seems strange that there wouldn't be any when it was so easy to pick out a whole bunch of tories.
I'm surprised that Swinney didn't call out at least Scanlan - probably one of the most useless MSPs ever.

4 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

That's a complete fabrication. The paper was founded by 2 brothers. Alfred and Harold Harmsworth in 1896. There was no "merger". The paper also took an imperalistic political stance right from the very beginning and has continued that way for over 120 years.

To be fair their stance has changed slightly, from full blown Nazi to extremely right wing.

I don't think anyone should get too vexed by Question Time. There was a time long ago when it was a highlight of the viewing week and indeed I looked forward to it, but it seriously lost its way, with audiences becoming more representative of polemical interest groups than an honest cross-section of the general public. The political right, being more desperate for the oxygen of publicity, has disgracefully been allowed by the show's producers to skew the debate. And there's the rub; as that has happened, so QT's viewing figures and influence have steadily waned.

3 hours ago, Sooky said:

Didn’t watch the show, but I’m not really understanding the outrage at this? She’s posing as a member of the public, because she is a member of the public? Fair enough if she was still an MSP, but she’s not.

Can you imagine Alex Salmond not being identified by the presenter/panel if he was "randomly" selected as a member of the public, then "randomly" selected to ask a question on QT?

He's not even a member of the SNP at the moment, never mind still being a MP/MSP.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, HTG said:

I'm surprised that Swinney didn't call out at least Scanlan - probably one of the most useless MSPs ever.

Mary Scanlon actually did a pretty good job as a public representative on a local level, party politics aside.  She was far from the worst of the highland Tories, who are often a very odd bunch.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Mary Scanlon actually did a pretty good job as a public representative on a local level, party politics aside.  She was far from the worst of the highland Tories, who are often a very odd bunch.

She was once my Economics tutor. Which was quite amusing given that she knew f**k all about economics and I know slightly more than that.

In all fairness, Mary Scanlon was been asked a question that was specifically about the Conservative party and answered it in a way that made it very obvious that it was her party - especially as she used the word "we".
That was very different to other members of the audience who were clearly plants but pretending to be ordinary members of the public.

It was interesting watching the question about the Jeremy Kyle show, where each member of the panel had their say.
It reminded me of Question Time of old.

However, when it came to any discussion about anything where there had been a referendum, suddenly it was a non-topic and we are not supposed to talk about any more.
Seems bizarre to have a political talk show where you are not allowed to talk politics if it is on something where a decision has been made.

If we had a referendum on every other topic then this show would then have nothing left to talk about.

3 hours ago, Sooky said:

Wilfully ignorant or lying.  This is a subversion of democracy and would be a major news story if we actually lived in a democracy.

Not sure if you could fill a hall with a politically engaged audience without any of them being involved with a party. And the balance should reflect local opinion, not UK wide as they claim to be attempting.

Not sure if you could fill a hall with a politically engaged audience without any of them being involved with a party. And the balance should reflect local opinion, not UK wide as they claim to be attempting.

Indeed. I’m guessing a lot of the complaints come from Alt Nats who’d have a panel of 6 SNP spokespeople and an audience of Wings followers

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Indeed. I’m guessing a lot of the complaints come from Alt Nats who’d have a panel of 6 SNP spokespeople and an audience of Wings followers

All screaming at each other about trans rights. They'd have to hire Jeremy Kyle's out of work bouncers.

41 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I wouldn't want 6 SNP spokespeople but a balance of audience, panel and the chairperson would be fine, won't happen as QT has long since given up on being balanced.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Moray voted remain and support for remain is over 60%, support for the SNP is 40%.  Even right in front of you you still deny reality.

44 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

You're an idiot.

7 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Moray voted remain and support for remain is over 60%, support for the SNP is 40%. 

Which was my point in the second sentence. You clearly didn't get that far.

Edited by welshbairn