Question Time

Elixir

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Recently on another thread I made reference to a book called 'The History Thieves' by Ian Cobain.  Anyone wanting an insight into how secretive, cynical, duplicitous, brutal and immoral are the actions of th British State and it's military and civil service apparatus could do worse than to read his chapter on Kenya.

To be fair to them it was the BBC in one of their documentaries that brought this to my attention some time ago.

It formed part of an awakening that shone a light on the British State not necessarily being the guy in the white hat all of the time.

Question Time is a 21st century extension of a natural assumption that they are correct.

Fiona Bruce's body language gives her away as being one of them and if one adds the constant racist undercurrent it is a theatre of despair.

16 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Indeed, I might get to ma bed at a decent time on Thursdays now. Crashed out in front of the telly again last night.

Aside from the celeb bit at the end, best politics programme on TV. Miles better than QT. 

There's very few who do what Neil does so I agree it probably has to end. Maybe James O'Brien, but he is probably too Remain-y now. 

20 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Aside from the celeb bit at the end, best politics programme on TV. Miles better than QT. 

There's very few who do what Neil does so I agree it probably has to end. Maybe James O'Brien, but he is probably too Remain-y now. 

I think Eddie Mair would be great on it with his sarcasm.

I won't be sorry to see the demise of This Week. All these silly jingles they pepper the show with and its presentation really gets on my tits and that double act of Portillo and Abbot went on for far too long.

Pleased to note that Neil will still be part presenting the Daily Politics show.  He generally does his homework pretty well unlike that arse, Nick Robinson. 

"The Innocent Nurse" was this the same innocent nurse who was outed as a liar, or is it another one I haven't heard about. 

That fat ginger c**t had me utterly seething. Lying about using a facility to score points when tens of thousands of folk are genuinely depending on them.

18 hours ago, sophia said:

much more recent and brutal in extremis

"The Kenya Human Rights Commission has said 90,000 Kenyans were executed, tortured or maimed during the crackdown, and 160,000 were detained in appalling conditions."

In 1974 I joined the Civil Service,  to work with computers. I was posted to an RAF admin base. 

Most of the  technical talent  was young, and civilian. There were though quite a number of middle aged RAF officers,

and senior NCO's who were doing a stint at an admin base prior to going back into civilian life.

Several  had served in various end of empire hotspots.   Steamer Point, Aden came up several times in conversation.

One day, I was chatting, alone, with a Flight Lieutenant.  He described some of his life, as a young man, in the Colonial Service in Kenya, in the 1950's.

He described to me the charge sheet against a local man who had been arrested.  It alleged that the man had been caught in possession of one bullet.

The charge sheet was one A4 page.  The sheet stated that he was found guilty.  The sheet ended with confirmation of execution, and date. 

Edited by beefybake

On 13/02/2019 at 10:45, the snudge said:

Out of interest has anyone on here changed their mind on Scottish Independence? 

I have.

Voted No at the referendum due to the fact that the SNP could not actually answer any questions about the future and the uncertainty was not an attractive prospect.

Now I’d vote Yes in a heartbeat. My opinion of the SNP’s ability to answer questions hasn’t really changed, and I’d probably be gambling with the likes of my pension, but it can’t possibly be worse than the omnishambles of crooks running us down south. 

Home grown crooks (and let’s face it, they’re all fucking crooks) are easier to make accountable.

10 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Because of the cross border regulation?

If you’re asking if I can recall every word spoken by the political crooks or the various debates (on here, for example) then the answer is No. It was a major sticking point at the time and I was not convinced by any of the answers.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

If you’re asking if I can recall every word spoken by the political crooks or the various debates (on here, for example) then the answer is No. It was a major sticking point at the time and I was not convinced by any of the answers.

Not questioning your reasoning, but surely your occupational pension would not be at risk from Scottish independence ?

There are 10's of thousands of Brits who have UK company pensions and who live abroad. Equally, there will be many thousands of ex UK expats with a foreign company pension who now live back in the UK.

The responsibility for your pension exists with the company you worked for, not the country you live in (although there will be different tax regulations depending on the country). I simply can't think of any reason why an occupational pension would be at risk in Scotland.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Brexit has massively complicated this. If your pension fund is headquartered in the UK, then if Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU, its cross border regulation on private pensions requires pensions paid to people living in the EU from countries outside the EU to be funded in full. Needless to say this is hundreds of billions of pounds. I'm sure a solution could be found but as @AyrshireTon says, nothing that came out of the Scottish and UK governments at the time sounded particularly convincing.

Cheers for that.

But Brexit wasn't an issue in 2014, surely ?

You know they're getting worried when we are back to the "ugly face of Scottish nationalism" patter. During the last referendum I only seen unionists doing nazi salutes and they were ALL very ugly. Every organisation from the orange order, BNP, NF to UKIP supported a no vote. Ugly face of nationalism indeed.