Question Time

Elixir

34 minutes ago, GAD said:

Well it's easy to say the other side are paranoid loons when the lies suit your point of view. To be honest though, I think it's far worse now than it was even then. 2014 was almost the test ground. When Nick Robinson was able to blatantly lie and get away with it, you could see which way the wind was blowing. The treatment of Milliband during the 2015 election was a fucking disgrace as well, and it's just rolled on from there.

Milliband had it coming though.

14efe2406c9dc85a6c25ddb2fc157a1bd26255f9

1 hour ago, Loondave1 said:

Hold my hand up and admit to being sceptical about BBC bias re Nationalism but have to row back a bit after last night. Felt like a "head girls" pile up on Abbott and if it's true a warmed up largely right wing white audience primed pre show at Abbotts expense. Not to mention the use of one YouGov poll to mock Abbotts defence of Labour being "level pegging" with the Tories. I would like to think I would have been uncomfortable with it regardless had it occured with someone else I was less politically sympathetic too. Oakshott gets an unchallenged free ride with her "facts" everytime she's on. Funnily enough I find wee Rory quite pragmatic and despite not agreeing with him on most things he fails to get on my tits like the aforementioned Isobel.
On another note the black dude reminds me of Jeff Goldblum and the SNP woman appears to be Owen Jones in drag ?

Yes, he generally does sound very reasonable.  I always recall some TV thing years ago when he described walking through Afghanistan, meeting with many of the local people.

And he said how he got on so well with them, and understood them etc...

It's just that underneath it all, he reminded me of one those 19th century British colonial adventurers..... 

who expressed such admiration for the 'ways of the natives'...., but if the 'natives' got a bit uppity...,   out comes the burning of villages etc.

Edited by beefybake

That was certainly chilling last night. Fiona Bruce comes across as a Tory stooge, sneering at Labour and the SNP, while essentially cheerleading the Tory/invited right wing journalist. The cheering and whooping which went up in support of No Deal is probably the loudest I have ever heard on QT.  The usual audience 'that's wot we voted for' (No deal), and 'don't pay them anything' in regard to the £39 billion exit payment etc. Even after the prof had made the point very effectively about how catastrophic No Deal is, they were still against him. 

It convinces me that England has to leave the EU, after all every part of the country bar London voted for it. The majority don't want to be in it. Driven by immigration and a hatred of EU institutions whipped up by nearly 30 years of Daily Mail headlines about bendy banana's they really do believe that England is a major player on the world stage just waiting to sail off to WTO land. Kirsty Blackman put up a decent enough night but it was impossible with the audience totally against and even booing her at points. That is a good snapshot last night of English opinion. While there may be a good few 'Remainers' in London, and leafier suburbs, the tide is for Leave. Also shows that any 2nd Ref would likely be lost, and would cause even more damage.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

That was certainly chilling last night. Fiona Bruce comes across as a Tory stooge, sneering at Labour and the SNP, while essentially cheerleading the Tory/invited right wing journalist. The cheering and whooping which went up in support of No Deal is probably the loudest I have ever heard on QT.  The usual audience 'that's wot we voted for' (No deal), and 'don't pay them anything' in regard to the £39 billion exit payment etc. Even after the prof had made the point very effectively about how catastrophic No Deal is, they were still against him. 

It convinces me that England has to leave the EU, after all every part of the country bar London voted for it. The majority don't want to be in it. Driven by immigration and a hatred of EU institutions whipped up by nearly 30 years of Daily Mail headlines about bendy banana's they really do believe that England is a major player on the world stage just waiting to sail off to WTO land. Kirsty Blackman put up a decent enough night but it was impossible with the audience totally against and even booing her at points. That is a good snapshot last night of English opinion. While there may be a good few 'Remainers' in London, and leafier suburbs, the tide is for Leave. Also shows that any 2nd Ref would likely be lost, and would cause even more damage.

Nearly every major city voted remain, Birmingham was 50/50. 

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nearly every major city voted remain, Birmingham was 50/50. 

Still have a lot of towns and shires voting Leave by majority though.

14 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Still have a lot of towns and shires voting Leave by majority though.

Almost everywhere that had an airport and actually encountered people from other places voted remain.  The rest did not.

I assume you know why people from Hartlepool are known as the Monkey-hangers.  In short, somebody came to town with a monkey when the country was at war with France.  The locals had never seen a Frenchman before, assumed the monkey was a Frenchman and hanged it as a spy.

Embarrassing story for Hartlepool but IMO Brexiteers are operating at the same level. 

27 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Almost everywhere that had an airport and actually encountered people from other places voted remain.  The rest did not.

I assume you know why people from Hartlepool are known as the Monkey-hangers.  In short, somebody came to town with a monkey when the country was at war with France.  The locals had never seen a Frenchman before, assumed the monkey was a Frenchman and hanged it as a spy.

Embarrassing story for Hartlepool but IMO Brexiteers are operating at the same level. 

Now we just have proto- fascists like Morrisey that want to hang the DJ's

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001qvl

This ^ was on recently!

I've nothing but respect for Diane Abbott and her ability to carry on as a prominent public figure in the face of constant disgraceful treatment from enemies and supposed comrades across the political spectrum and wider society. Jess Phillips should be facing deselection for dozens of disgraceful acts but the fact she built her reputation for being a mouthy feminist off the back of telling Diane Abbott to f**k off should've made anyone that isn't braindead realise that she's a blatant racist careerist angling for a post-parliamentary career in The Spectator.

Edited by NotThePars

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

What's even worse is they revel in it, with their football mascot Hangus the Monkey and even elected him mayor.

Can’t stand Dianne Abbott, she has always come across as patronising with a sense of puffed up self importance but with actually very little to say of substance. It baffles me that the influencers within the Labour Movement continue to let her give them such negative exposure, she is such a easy target these days given her most recent cock ups. That said, it no way does it excuse the nasty, spiteful, scornful bullying she is subjected to. Thursday’s viewing with a baying crowd was uncomfortable to watch even within the current political atmosphere and divisions over Brexit. It would not be tolerated in any other ‘workplace’. I would rather just ignore her inane ramblings.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yep.

Really gone down the tubes now.

Three minutes in and I was reminded just why I no longer tune into this show, other than very occasionally.  In that short time Suella Braverman spouted a stream of unchallenged Brexit dogma ; life is just too short for this myopic pish.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III